It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1984 Presidential Candidate Debate: 10 . 21 . 84

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I know this is old, 36 years to the day, to be exact. But watching a little bit of this reminded me of the way things used to be. Both candidates were grilled on tough issues in an unbiased manner. I'd give anything to have this kind of America back.

I put this in the mudpit, not because I thought there would be disrespectful debate, but because I wasn't sure where else to put it. But if you were alive back in 1984, what were you doing when this was happening? I was only 5, watching Thundercats and He-Man while eating a bowl of ET cereal or C-3PO's. Not a care in the world other than what toy I wanted to play with next or what cartoon was coming on. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of this era, or perhaps all my family being around me. But one thing is certain, I had no idea how good things really were back then outside of being a kid. Watch these two debate, look at their policies compared to today and think of the politicians and the steps that have been taken between 1984 and 2020 that got us to the point we're at today.
edit on 21-10-2020 by LSU2018 because: title

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The more I listen to this, the more I realize how similarly it relates to our issues still today.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ah memories. My whole life was skateboarding, at that time. And the first traitorous, senile, lying, corporate shill of a war-mongering president I protested. But that said, a modicum of decorum that has been lost, sadly. And at least Reagan listened in his briefings and actually knew where other countries in the world were.

"Walk softly and carry and big stick" has been replaced by 'Walk loudly and high-drama twitter rant through personal attacks and divisive rhetoric'.

My views aside, Reagan would be an unelectable leftist in the eyes of the modern right wing...

"We lead the world because, unique among nations, we draw our people — our strength — from every country and every corner of the world. And by doing so we continuously renew and enrich our nation. While other countries cling to the stale past, here in America we breathe life into dreams. We create the future, and the world follows us into tomorrow. Thanks to each wave of new arrivals to this land of opportunity, we’re a nation forever young, forever bursting with energy and new ideas, and always on the cutting edge, always leading the world to the next frontier. This quality is vital to our future as a nation. If we ever closed the door to new Americans, our leadership in the world would soon be lost."

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Yeah...and what's that tell us? Nothing changes....and I was a "Chicago 7" era hippie....

We brought issues out...and 60 yrs later...it seems we've burned my wife's bra, my draft card...for?

Issues prevail...names change, Hillaries and Hunter will fade unpunished....as always.
edit on 21-10-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Back in the day when my Republican party stood for something, had morals and knew they would win because they had right and integrity on their side.

Look at this Sh!tshow now. everyone who voted for that over sized piece of crap-sh!t whining 2 year old has ZERO right calling themselves a Republican.

Damned trumplicans. we need to take our party BACK and hold EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU accountable for this orange vomit stain we have now.

That is all.

Dorian Soran

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

I've always been fond of Reagan and still wear a "Reagan/Bush '84" retro t-shirt today. But I think the biggest factor since then is the internet which brought social media which gave too many drama queens - regardless of which side they lie on in our opinion - a platform.

I noticed Mondale talking about military strength which, today, is a favorable right wing idea. Mondale also blamed high interest rates on illegal immigration. It's amazing how ideas have changed since then, and why they've changed.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DorianSoran

To each their own. In my opinion, Trump is the closest president we've had to Reagan since the 80's. Not in the way he gets his word out, but in the way he works for the people and the country. Right now (I took a lunch break and am continuing listening to the debate) Reagan is talking about implementing his plan, Star Wars. Reminds me of Trump's Space Force.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I was in 1st grade when Reagan / Bush took on Carter in '79.

I wore a campaign pin to school and handed out bumper stickers to my 1st grade cohorts.

My teacher made me put everything away in my desk and said "You are too young to worry about politics" and I said "Are you mad because Carter is going to lose?"

My dad had to pick me up from school after detention. He met with my teacher after that and on the way home, all he did was smile.

We are SO lost as a society, nation and world. we need our path and neither crap candidate is going to help with that. WE need to take it back!

Dorian Soran

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

but in the way he works for the people and the country.

That is where I feel you are incorrect.

Trump works for trump, and trumps family, and trumps wealth, and trumps ratings.

He does NOT care one bit about any American that isnt named trump. This mans opinion anyway.

Remember those women he wanted to grab by the pussy? They were Americans.

Remember that disabled reporter he chuckled at and waved his arms mimiicking a DISABLED person? he was American.

Remember those teens he and Eppy would get photographed with before tapping them on a plane? They were Americans.

Comparing that piece of dog sh!t to Reagan? Hmmmmm-----PURE trumplican move. If there were any real patriotic Republicans on here besides me, you would be chastised for daring utter those words.

Dorian Soran
edit on 21-10-2020 by DorianSoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Hey, I agree with you in that we need to take this country back and I'd stand beside you as we fight to do so. But right now we only have two choices.

As far as handing out Reagan gear in the 1st grade, my mom and dad would have smiled at you, too. Lol, that was pretty clever.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

"Damned trumplicans. we need to take our party BACK and hold EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU accountable for this orange vomit stain we have now."

I guess I am one you want to hold accountable since I voted straight republican today.

I feel pretty good myself.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Ronald Reagan's closing statement:

MR. NEWMAN: President Reagan, your summation, please.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. My thanks to the League of Women Voters, to the panelists, the moderator, and to the people of Kansas City for their warm hospitality and greeting.

I think the American people tonight have much to be grateful for — an economic recovery that has become expansion, freedom and, most of all, we are at peace.

I am grateful for the chance to reaffirm my commitment to reduce nuclear weapons and, one day, to eliminate them entirely.

The question before you comes down to this: Do you want to see America return to the policies of weakness of the last 4 years? Or do we want to go forward, marching together, as a nation of strength and that’s going to continue to be strong?

We shouldn’t be dwelling on the past, or even the present. The meaning of this election is the future and whether we’re going to grow and provide the jobs and the opportunities for all Americans and that they need.

Several years ago, I was given an assignment to write a letter. It was to go into a time capsule and would be read in 100 years when that time capsule was opened.

I remember driving down the California coast one day. My mind was full of what I was going to put in that letter about the problems and the issues that confront us in our time and what we did about them. But I couldn’t completely neglect the beauty around me — the Pacific out there on one side of the highway, shining in the sunlight, the mountains of the coast range rising on the other side. And I found myself wondering what it would be like for someone — wondering if someone 100 years from now would be driving down that highway, and if they would see the same thing. And with that thought, I realized what a job I had with that letter.

I would be writing a letter to people who know everything there is to know about us. We know nothing about them. They would know all about our problems. They would know how we solved them, and whether our solution was beneficial to them down through the years or whether it hurt them. They would also know that we lived in a world with terrible weapons, nuclear weapons of terrible destructive power, aimed at each other, capable of crossing the ocean in a matter of minutes and destroying civilization as we knew it. And then I thought to myself, what are they going to say about us, what are those people 100 years from now going to think? They will know whether we used those weapons or not.

Well, what they will say about us 100 years from now depends on how we keep our rendezvous with destiny. Will we do the things that we know must be done and know that one day, down in history 100 years or perhaps before, someone will say, “Thank God for those people back in the 1980’s for preserving our freedom, for saving for us this blessed planet called Earth, with all its grandeur and its beauty.”

You know, I am grateful to all of you for giving me the opportunity to serve you for these 4 years, and I seek reelection because I want more than anything else to try to complete the new beginning that we charted 4 years ago. George Bush, who I think is one of the finest Vice Presidents this country has ever had — George Bush and I have crisscrossed the country, and we’ve had, in these last few months, a wonderful experience. We have met young America. We have met your sons and daughters.

MR. NEWMAN: Mr. President, I’m obliged to cut you off there under the rules of the debate. I’m sorry.

Fantastic closer right there.

link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

"Damned trumplicans. we need to take our party BACK and hold EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU accountable for this orange vomit stain we have now."

I guess I am one you want to hold accountable since I voted straight republican today.

You did NOT vote Republican, you are a trumplican - but tell yourself whatever you need t,o sonny, to make you feel like you are not a HUGE part of the problem.

I hope I am around to see the purge of everyone that made this happen.

Dorian Soran.

link   

I don't know about in 84', but when I was younger, Americans didn't view political opponents as the nation's worst enemy above even foreign adversaries.

We can't fix large problems if we view countrymen as enemies. Other countries are banking on us tearing down the structures from within, and so far they're getting dividends on such bets.

Sadly, many people are finding refuge in tribalism. Race, party, gender, ect... People are saying these are my people, everyone else can kick rocks. They don't understand the real lines of division are class.

So now we're in a large shouting match where zingers score big, and sensibility is viewed as weakness.

I only see it getting worse from here, people are far too vindictive to find compromise.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DorianSoran

You did NOT vote Republican, you are a trumplican - but tell yourself whatever you need t,o sonny, to make you feel like you are not a HUGE part of the problem.

Dorian Soran.

Screw you....I most certainly voted straight republican. Waiting on your purge as we speak.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DorianSoran

Dorian Soran.

This smug asshole attitude is what brought me into politics to begin with. I can accept that I might be wrong after the chips fall, but to be told again and again by someone who may know much less than I do how wrong I am, without them knowing what I know, before the chips even come out, is that condescending arrogance that needs to be smashed with the big hammer.

When 57% of those polled answer, "YES" to the question, are you better off now than you were 4 years ago, maybe there is more to it than your inability to deal with someone you don't like.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

But if you were alive back in 1984, what were you doing when this was happening?

I was 22 years old.
I was probably drinking adult beverages during the debate.
I voted for Reagan.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Interesting your reference year is 1984. How befitting.

Orwell was off by 36 years.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I'll be doing the same.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

October 21, 1984.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join