It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nokia to build mobile network on the moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Found this and thought I'd share. I didn't realize NASA was planning a new moon mission with the intention of a long term presence, but as part of this, Nokia's been selected to build the first cellular communication system on the moon to facilitate communication between astronauts in the new permanent facility as well as communication and control of rovers and other remote vehicles. The system is designed to use 4g/LTE with the possibility of upgrading to 5g in the future should it prove to be a viable technology.

It's kind of cool I suppose. I always liked Nokia's phones and I still miss symbian. The conspiracy minded folks should be happy to hear it's not going to immediately be some fancy 5g system, but sounds like it's actually being designed for some real practical usage.

www.reuters.com...

Nokia has been selected by NASA to build the first cellular network on the moon, the Finnish company said on Monday, as the U.S. space agency plans for a future where humans return there and establish lunar settlements.

NASA aims to return humans to the moon by 2024 and dig in for a long-term presence there under its Artemis programme.

Nokia said the first wireless broadband communications system in space would be built on the lunar surface in late 2022, before humans make it back there.

It will partner with a Texas-based private space craft design company, Intuitive Machines, to deliver the equipment to the moon on their lunar lander. The network will configure itself and establish a 4G/LTE communications system on the moon, Nokia said, though the aim would be to eventually switch to 5G

The network will give astronauts voice and video communications capabilities, and allow telemetry and biometric data exchange, as well as the deployment and remote control of lunar rovers and other robotic devices, according to the company

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Yeah, it happening....! Man's permanent presence on the Moon. I did a thread on it earlier this month.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I hope it's 5G for the conspiracy lulz.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Hey Mom guess where I’m calling you from?

www.gizmodo.com.au...

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Cool. I missed your thread originally. I'll take a read through. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I hope they Finnish the project before 6G rolls out.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Can you hear me now ?
Really first do something about all the dropped calls here on earth .
PS will LONG distance rates apply ?
Pss This will save ET time he will no longer need such a rigged up device to phone home.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

hardee har har!!

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

Norway they won't.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The aliens desire a better signal to listen to us, so they brainwashed someone to build a booster on the moon so they can get more of their fellow aliens better receptions on their computers and TVs. Those fade outs are not good for business on their home world.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   
For comms on the moon really it'll just be getting the stuff deployed and powering it that would be the main problems at the start but obviously maint and upgrades become problems down the line especially if some of the kit goes zombie as its a long way to go to just swap out a few boards or switch something off manually.

The bigger problem is the time delay for comms to/from the earth as you'll need to have robust solutions to try and keep that working.

posted on Oct, 21 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I work at a factory that was manufactoring Nokia units capable of providing simple acces to internet by multiplexing 64 traditional copper signals (being landlines, coax or utp.) into 1 optical signal at dsl (2G/3G) speeds. Nokia got into the game a few years ago but the units have been produced since at least 2005. Nokia was the last costumer when we produced the last batch early this year. We could simply no longer get hold on some parts to be able to produce them. I bet Nokia has other units with better specs in their folow up. They started buying into the market with this and probably more old tech, left behind by the big market players.

Units as described above are next to outdated, pretty versatile. Yes, you want optical on the moon. There is no easier slash cheaper way to transmit a signal in an enviroment that nas no atmosphere. But you want that tech to be able to converse to as many protocols down the communication spectrum.

For all I know , that is excactly the niche Nokia operates in, building acces where there is none. Able to get any copper signal onto a laser beam and back with slightly outdated but stirdy tech. I only had 2 units back for service this year and they were both in working order, only needing a flash reprog. Nothing a moony can't handle.

Nokia seems the logical company to go all Lunatech with this.

new topics

top topics

join