It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Question, Is it OK to silence news you don't like?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
First off, I get that Google, Facebook, Twitter are not government run businesses. And I also get that CNN, CNBC, CBS, NBC, BBC, and others are not government entities. But they all are vehicles for information. For many people, they are the main or only sources. And without knowing you are actively being lied to, you really just don't know.

Now at this moment, all the censorship is benefiting the left. And I'm sure those on the left with no scruples or any sense of a moral compass are super with all that. But with all things, those with some smarts like to use vision. Much like what was done when the first statues were coming down. Some of us made the claim that it won't stop with civil war era statues, but will continue to include Washington, Lincoln, and others. It seems that was correct. So now, that same vision is being used to wonder if the suppression of information will always be on your side. Will you not hear about uncomfortable news that might have a large effect on your future? Perhaps, since this is being championed by the left today, it seems it's only proof that Forrest Gump's mama was right.

Move on to the "Russian disinformation" angle. With no data, no intel, no proof, the entire narrative is moved back to the original one, that Hillary Clinton started back in 2016. Blame Russia. The news folks and the left politicians who spread this, have not really used their smarts at all. Not denying these e-mails are legit, makes them legit. So even if Vladimir Putin handed them to Rudy Giuliani live on CNN with Brian Seltzer rubbing one out in the background, it wouldn't change the fact that the information is legitimate. I'll type that again but slower this time. If the information is true, and since it's not been refuted by anyone, it's assumed to be true at the moment, then the only thing that matters is the information itself. (with regards to the content of the information) As with the theme of this thread, the much more sinister issue here is having a "ministry of Truth" filtering what the public is allowed to know.

So while I welcome any and all to comment, I am super curious as to what the left members here (from other nations of course, as most US members here don't seem to be on the left) feel about the censorship of the data. Is it OK? Do you support this? Will you be angry if Trump was to do the same thing with his uncomfortable news?

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The news folks and the left politicians who spread this, have not really used their smarts at all

I'd say they are using their smarts to their full extent and it appears to be working.

Most of America are not critical thinkers and they are taking advantage of this.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
No.

Not liking news is no excuse for censorship.

If you don't like what is being said, then you should fact check the story. If it turns out to be bunk write about it. If it turns out to be true then you need to accept the facts as they are and work within that.

Everything we've seen with regard to censorship, especially from big tech, is an case study in childish world views held by emotionally and mentally weak people.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Will you be angry if Trump was to do the same thing with his uncomfortable news?

It's all that Trump does, if he slightly disagrees with any news he just claims it's fake and bullies or tries to shut down the reporter, seen it numerous times.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

How many times has he been wrong?

link   

The thing that gets me about all the censorship issues is all devices have a power button, all computers and television allow you to change the channel. I do not like the fact organizations have taken it upon themselves to tell me what is good information and what is not, what is a good source and what is not.

It is a very dangerous situation and needs to be dealt with immediately. The people should have the ability to weed through the information themselves and do their own research. Too many people are lazy and rely on the first thing they see and when you only get to see what is believed to be the only viewpoint it is not good

link   
It is an odd thing that so many people across so many platforms are so willing to take marching orders when they really don't have to.

Mpstly I think its because they are afraid to lose their jobs, but then I watch say even Comedy Central and its just nonstop anti-Trump nonsense. So in that regard I also think that being in the left now is at least some part cultish.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I think like.... 20,000 times? He's just as bad as all of the "career politicians".

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

How many times has he been wrong?

You are joking right?? Just watch a few briefings by Trump on covid!

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I think it's good to get a rounded view of the news. I'll try to read the same story from a few sources if i can. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle of them all.

The thing is all news is 'editorialized'(slanted and biased, sometimes completely made up).

When i was in school, we spent a bunch of time on press releases and talking to the press with the idea that everything you say or write will be taken out of context and spun to fit an agenda. When i had the opportunity to have an actual press release published during the work i was doing, this is exactly what happened. A small portion of it was quoted, then the whole thing was paraphrased and rewritten. It was pretty innocuous in that case, but still noticeably different.

I also seen a pretty good example with a friend of mine'a video that got picked up by a couple news agencies. All the agencies completely made up the info in the video, all different from eachother, despite being given a small description.with the video.

Things like the location, the activity and even the subject of the video. Like you could see with your eyea what it was while the reporter was saying it was something totally different.

All news is bull#. You just gotta sift through as much as you can and go to as many primary sources as you can to find the nuggets of truth buried under all the turds.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

Will you be angry if Trump was to do the same thing with his uncomfortable news?

It's all that Trump does, if he slightly disagrees with any news he just claims it's fake and bullies or tries to shut down the reporter, seen it numerous times.

can you list the stories that Trump was able to silence for all of us here please?

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

I've watched quite a few.

What specifically are you referring to?

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I'm sure he'll come up with a rock solid argument as to why calling fake news reporters fake news is equal to censorship.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

The news folks and the left politicians who spread this, have not really used their smarts at all

I'd say they are using their smarts to their full extent and it appears to be working.

Most of America are not critical thinkers and they are taking advantage of this.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. The one's doing the censoring are brilliant. It's so in your face, you can't do anything but laugh. But the idiots who don't realize that this will be used on them as well are the drooling short bus riders.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

If news is fake news is it still news ?

I'm against reporting misinformation as much as I'm for supporting freedom of reporting , the question is can those who filter then news be trusted.
In an ideal world it would all be out there for the individual to decide but then there's the problem of undue influence of the fake news on those who want to believe.

It's a tough call without a clear cut answer in my view.
edit on 20-10-2020 by gortex because: ing

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I think like.... 20,000 times? He's just as bad as all of the "career politicians".

What's funny is that figure came from The Atlantic.

Notorious fake news peddlers. Remember the "Trump called dead soldiers losers" lie that you all believed uncritically?

Yeah, that's who you listen to.
edit on 10 20 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think as an individual looking on, it’s clear to see the US is not the land of the free, that the US is not the “greatest country” in the world and the swamp never got drained.

Corruption on such a large scale, at the very top of the “political industrial complex”, good indication your country will soon fail

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
I think as an individual looking on, it’s clear to see the US is not the land of the free, that the US is not the “greatest country” in the world and the swamp never got drained.

Corruption on such a large scale, at the very top of the “political industrial complex”, good indication your country will soon fail

For a long time, I would have been enraged by your comments, and feel anger towards you. But today, October 20, 2020, I sadly have to sit back, reflect on what you said, and agree. The free nation I love and the Constitution I offered my life to protect are meaningless. Without the means to use the tools we have for our protection, we have allowed our government to have the ultimate power over us. Our justice system is such a joke it's sad, and the leaders OUR PRESIDENT appointed to oversee all that, are all sucking the same slime those they were put there to remove are. It must taste good Mr. Barr. I hope you enjoy it.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

even if i am not a leftist because it is only a propaganda term, one has to distinguish between media that work with lies and disinformation for ideological reasons or learned journalism, which - with exceptions - always has the claim to report objectively.

journalists are only human and therefore sometimes biased. but if you take the sum of all journalists working in the world, they do their work just like everyone else and try to do it as well as possible. but there is a consensus and that is: always against extremism. this applies to all variations. left-wing extremism is criticized in the media just as much as right-wing or islamic terrorism. the islamists and the nazis are statistically seen as the much more dangerous ideologies. right-wing oriented people therefore feel that the way they are treated in the media is unfair and one-sided. the fact that platforms, sites, groups, videos are closed or banned because of verbal violence and hate speech has always existed because there are laws and regulations, and those who do not adhere to them must bear the consequences. and yet freedom of speech is guaranteed in most countries. even in america, as you can see on ats. if this site would turn into a news site and all the crazy comments and theories would be sold as factual news, it might actually disappear at some point. because there are laws.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

so you are for the Ministry of Truth censorship?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join