It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coup in Damascus Followed by Media Blackout (unconfirmed)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The Syrian Army, supported by key Syrian politicians, has swarmed Damascus and are holding key strategic locations. The President of Syria is said to have retreated to Aleppo, and is planning his counter attack. The coup is a result of disagreements over the Syrian occupation of Lebanon. The rebels are said to be in control of Chemical rockets.

www.free-lebanon.com
Since yesterday , Damascus is under the de facto control of the Syrian Army, under the command of Syrian Interior Minister Ghazi Kanaan, and supported by Syrian Intelligence General Rustom Ghazaleh, Syrian military General Ali Safi, and Firas Tlass son of former Minister of Defence, Mustafa Tlass. The group rebelled against the decision of President Bashar el Assad to withdraw from Lebanon and seized the Damascus military yesterday.

Around 3 am, Damascus time, the Syrian Air Force bombarded two military airfields around Damascus, the Air force base of Dumair, and the Air force base of Katana. Also, late night around 3 am, the Syrian Air force bombarded military positions of the Syrian Army west of the city of Homs.

President Bachar el Assad retreated secretly to the city of Aleppo where he is temporarily holding ground. He is massing special forces troops loyal to him and preparing himself to take back Damascus by force .

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is intensely worrisome. There is only one source carrying this story, apparently due to a media blackout. There is very little information available at this time, but it appears as though Syrian military officials disgruntled over the withdrawal from Lebanon have taken over the capitol. They are in control of some serious firepower, and if this is indeed happening, Assad will be hard pressed to uproot them.

More on this incredible story as it develops.

Related ATS Discussion
Coup d' Etat took place in Damascus last night.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by SkepticOverlord]

[edit on 17-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Interesting story. Do you have an other source that can back this up. This is almost to fantastic to believe.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I cant find anything else on it.

Here is a link to the Syria Times online. I am not sure what day it is there, or if this is even a real site, but it looks like this paper has not been updated today.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I know, it's crazy! I've been all over the web, and I've found nothing, nada, squat.

There isn't even any mention on the international wire, but in the case of a media blackout, the rest of the world might be slow to respond.

I'll post any new information I happen across, for now I remain suspect, but somewhat believing...

Assad isn't exactly popular.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What do you want to bet that America helps this coup succeed very very covertly? It's everything the military industrial complex could want. The coupsters are hardliners who will give us carte blanche to hit Syria. Beautiful. We'll even get Bekaa Valley.

Of course if we wanted to place Mr. Niceguy we could begin airstrikes and maybe even offer Assad the support of the US Marines. Saving the moderate government would send a great sign that war is not inevitable and that America will reward compromise. I hope we're interested in that.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
According to ATS member GlobalDisorder, on this thread..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Jordan TV is carrying the story. Not sure about that though..their website is way behind on being updated, and no other news organizations are jumping on this

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Here is another news link. It is called "The Jawa Report" but I'm not sure how legitimate of a news source they are. But right now I think any link is better than none.

mypetjawa.mu.nu...

(I hope that link works, this is my first attempt at it)

This story supports the rumor of Syrian Air Force bombing airfields around Damascus.
It also states most of the military barracks of the Syrian Army around Damascus support the coup.
And says the dissident group took control as they were very upset at the Lebanon withdrawal for they left behind a billion dollar industry.

[edit on 3/17/05 by Qwas]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
the jawa report seems to be basing this on the free-lebanon website.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Kind of interesting Assad needs to go. Let's hope his replacement will be more realistic and pull out of Lebanon.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
JoeDoaks
Assad was the one who ordered the pull out. What are you talking about? Chances are his replacement will want troops to return to Lebanon to prevent and Israeli/American invasion form using Lebanon as a staging point to attack Syria.

The whole reason this coup is happening is because Assad pulled troops out of Lebanon. Get the facts straight dude.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Wait is this Syria against Syria? Im a bit confused here? Like a civil war but a military war or whatever you would call it?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yes, it's the Syrian military and some politicians against the rest of the politicians, and especially the President. It has to do with the recent evacuation of Damascus.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
remember, these syrians are Batthists with frog, scuds, and some irbm
ss series chock full of vx gb, ga, andText

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
3 AM on Saint Pat's Day and still haven't seen any credible source back this story up yet.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
3 AM on Saint Pat's Day and still haven't seen any credible source back this story up yet.

Same, I've been looking and looking and no luck so far. Hopefully this is just BS but I don't think it is... No news station in Canada is saying anything yet, will check again in 20 minutes.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I thought it was BS at first too, but why would the website, a charity organization, ruin their reputation by reporting BS? It doesn't make sense...

The major outlets are wary of making a mistake I wager..or they're being told to keep quiet....

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It all depends who makes the donations for their charity, but nothing is impossible, waiting for other sources to back the story up or shoot it down...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silenus
It all depends who makes the donations for their charity, but nothing is impossible, waiting for other sources to back the story up or shoot it down...

But what would they gain by falsifying a story like this. They have everything to lose by pulling a hoax of this magnitude.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Sometimes you have to sacrifice a few pawns to get a get a better position on the board, but like i said, I am still sitting on the fence. It could be true, waiting for more confirmitian...

[edit on 17-3-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It just seems such an extreme move for "Syrian Interior Minister Ghazi Kanaan, and supported by Syrian Intelligence General Rustom Ghazaleh, Syrian military General Ali Safi, and Firas Tlass son of former Minister of Defence, Mustafa Tlass" to take over while understanding what the consequences will be. They already know that the world will not back them on this move and the result will be the equivalent of suicide.

This information may be posted in error through bad or opinionated info. I'm going to hold back any opinions on the poster until some more time passes and more facts come to the surface.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join