It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In-Car Camera , Journey Between London to Bath (1963)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Take a trip with Mr G. Eyles of the British Institute of Advanced Motoring as he travels from London to Bath , the 10 minute edited highlights of his journey show one how to drive safely and with courtesy on British highways.

The vehicles , commentary and 1960s England make me smile and in some ways hanker for a simpler time , back in those days you could fix your own car if it broke down.

Jolly good old chap !

edit on 19-10-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

What's with people driving on the wrong side? So disconcerting.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That. Was. Boring.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
That. Was. Boring.

Not if you watch it in 2x speed.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

the beautiful cars! but where is the rain?

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Never watched it all but it looked like he was driving an old Jag, it's always nice to see the world the way it was and to see people driving on the CORRECT side of the road for a change.

Once upon a time the land was lawless and for a very long time everywhere people would travel on the left side, this was to keep there fighting hand free in case of attack so that they could defend themselves and not be blindsided.

Why the Yanks and just about everyone else chose to drive on the right side bewilders me.

Nice to see clean, well kept and almost pristine England, not much like that today what with potholes on all out roads, traffic jam's and dirty streets, nice to see normal people as well unlike today were most of them seem to be wearing hijab's or what ever it is they put on these day's, people still had respect for there country and one another - for the most part always been thug's in all walks of life and always will be sadly - unlike today.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
Once upon a time the land was lawless and for a very long time everywhere people would travel on the left side, this was to keep there fighting hand free in case of attack so that they could defend themselves and not be blindsided.

Why the Yanks and just about everyone else chose to drive on the right side bewilders me.

Because we're more civilized and can shoot ambidextrously.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

the beautiful cars! but where is the rain?

At about 7.50 on the video.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Our car number in those days was PBJ 755 (Austin Westminster saloon), but we would not have been on that road. At Easter, we could have been further south, on the road to Devon on our way to become part of the famous Exeter traffic-jam (which later, thanks to road improvements, became the Exeter by-pass traffic-jam).

This was still the age of the hand-signal out of the driver's window- straight arm out for "turning right", something more convoluted for "I'm turning left".

But I saw no hand-signals on that trip, apart from the one which the commentator said was too indecisive, and the previous "He's giving me the V-sign."

An explanation for Anericans, already confused by the fact that pedestrians are obviously jaywalking with impunity. The V-sign is the British equivalent of the middle finger. The basic shape resembles the modern "peace" sign, apparently based on Churchill's "V for Victory" sign. Two first fingers in a V-shape. The crucial difference is that the man who holds the palm of his hand towards himself is being insulting. The Churchill/ "peace" version should be holding the palm outwards.

The driver joked "I don't know why he thinks I'm interested in his politics". I wasn't quite sure what he meant by that, but I suppose the thought was that a V-sign could mean "loyalty to Churchill" (as the reversed verion would have meant during the war), and therefore "I'm a Conservative".

The Minister of Transport was Ernest Marples. Before the autumn election of that year, I read at the time, many cars were displaying "Marples must go" signs. After the change of government, these were quickly replaced by "Come back Ernie, all is forgiven!" I didn't notice either version in that film

edit on 19-10-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That's a Jaguar MK II or possibly a 340 if it's late sixties. (Same thing, really.)

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

ah! missed the last two minutes.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

That. Was. Boring.

That only makes it half as boring.

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
That's a Jaguar MK II or possibly a 340 if it's late sixties. (Same thing, really.)

MK II is in order,

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

That. Was. Boring.

That only makes it half as boring.

But the music makes you move your shoulders on your seat. What a blast !

posted on Oct, 19 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

What's with people driving on the wrong side? So disconcerting.

I wonder if they ride a horse with the head in the front or the rear.

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Will this help me learn how to make turn abouts in city skylines?

All jokes aside this is really cool. These driving methods won't work in United States major cities though.
edit on 20-10-2020 by Rekrul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Giving me the V sign...well not exactly but keep honking!

new topics

top topics

join