It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan to ban open carry of guns at polling places, other spots on Election Day

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: rickymouse

banishing a gun is not legal

Come on Ricky you're good with science/health what happened to your English; the word is Brandishing a gun.

Unless you were subconsciously thinking of banning guns.

I'm a Yooper, I talk funny. Actually, I just misspelled it and have always have been bad at spelling things. I know what Brandishing is, that is when you get ishy from having too much Brandy

Oh wait, I could be mistaken, that might have something to do with cows or tattoos.
edit on 17-10-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
A reasonable move on the side of Michigan, ATSers agree?

People will not be allowed to openly carry firearms near polling places, clerks offices or locations where absentee ballots are counted, Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson announced Friday.

Benson included the decision in guidance sent to Michigan clerks as elections officials prepare for any voter intimidation efforts on Election Day, Nov. 3.

“Fair, free and secure elections are the foundation of our democracy,” Benson said in a news release.

“I am committed to ensuring all eligible Michigan citizens can freely exercise their fundamental right to vote without fear of threats, intimidation or harassment. Prohibiting the open-carry of firearms in areas where citizens cast their ballots is necessary to ensure every voter is protected.”

Detroit Free Press

I mean I'm fairly certain I'm not allowed to carry my phone openly and record within polling stations so why should this be any different? I'll note as well, conceal carry is still covered? In an election season this hot, the last thing we need is any unnecessary intimidation, even if unintended.

I don't see why not. And I say that as someone who is staunchly pro-gun. In my opinion I'd rather people conceal carry than open carry, as open carry could be considered voter intimidation by the feeble-minded.

In Tennessee that's already the norm, and it doesn't affect voting in any obvious way.

I'm currently working security at a polling center, and to be honest the whole camera thing is annoying. I see it more as a security issue than anything. Especially when I see them recording in a circle. I start seeing it more as a surveillance issue.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
a reply to: CharlesT

Well, I'm not going to dispute that.

I just think that when government makes laws that those laws should apply to everyone equally. Including the government.

I was going to point out the obvious in your first post, but I won't bring it up after reading your second post.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well, as long as they have an abundance of security, sure.

We don’t need any shenanigans during Election Day.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
A reasonable move on the side of Michigan, ATSers agree?

People will not be allowed to openly carry firearms near polling places, clerks offices or locations where absentee ballots are counted, Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson announced Friday.

Benson included the decision in guidance sent to Michigan clerks as elections officials prepare for any voter intimidation efforts on Election Day, Nov. 3.

“Fair, free and secure elections are the foundation of our democracy,” Benson said in a news release.

“I am committed to ensuring all eligible Michigan citizens can freely exercise their fundamental right to vote without fear of threats, intimidation or harassment. Prohibiting the open-carry of firearms in areas where citizens cast their ballots is necessary to ensure every voter is protected.”

Detroit Free Press

I mean I'm fairly certain I'm not allowed to carry my phone openly and record within polling stations so why should this be any different? I'll note as well, conceal carry is still covered? In an election season this hot, the last thing we need is any unnecessary intimidation, even if unintended.

I don't see why not. And I say that as someone who is staunchly pro-gun. In my opinion I'd rather people conceal carry than open carry, as open carry could be considered voter intimidation by the feeble-minded.

In Tennessee that's already the norm, and it doesn't affect voting in any obvious way.

I'm currently working security at a polling center, and to be honest the whole camera thing is annoying. I see it more as a security issue than anything. Especially when I see them recording in a circle. I start seeing it more as a surveillance issue.

In Ohio, wearing a Trump (or any other political name or message) hat to a polling place is considered intimidation and "electioneering". Some people are threatened by the first amendment even more than the second.

See my thread here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

I did read that post.

Same here, but the election commission officials are a little odd about it.

People can't wear Biden or Trump shirts. Can't wear MAGA hats, but they've been letting people in with BLM masks and shirts. LGBT+ clothing, and other political phrasings.

It's not my job to enforce those kinds of things, so I just watch.
edit on 17102020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
a reply to: panoz77

I did read that post.

Same here, but the election commission officials are a little odd about it.

People can't wear Biden or Trump shirts. Can't wear MAGA hats, but they've been letting people in with BLM masks and shirts. LGBT+ clothing, and other political phrasings.

It's not my job to enforce those kinds of things, so I just watch.

Well then I'd have to call BS if I saw that. Can't have it both ways.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I know what Brandishing is, that is when you get ishy from having too much Brandy

hahaha
Pure Gold

top topics

<< 1   >>

join