It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan to ban open carry of guns at polling places, other spots on Election Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
A reasonable move on the side of Michigan, ATSers agree?

People will not be allowed to openly carry firearms near polling places, clerks offices or locations where absentee ballots are counted, Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson announced Friday.

Benson included the decision in guidance sent to Michigan clerks as elections officials prepare for any voter intimidation efforts on Election Day, Nov. 3.

“Fair, free and secure elections are the foundation of our democracy,” Benson said in a news release.

“I am committed to ensuring all eligible Michigan citizens can freely exercise their fundamental right to vote without fear of threats, intimidation or harassment. Prohibiting the open-carry of firearms in areas where citizens cast their ballots is necessary to ensure every voter is protected.”

Detroit Free Press

I mean I'm fairly certain I'm not allowed to carry my phone openly and record within polling stations so why should this be any different? I'll note as well, conceal carry is still covered? In an election season this hot, the last thing we need is any unnecessary intimidation, even if unintended.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Early November in Michigan everybody has a nice jacket on, with at least one pocket on the inside of it.

Michigan is one of the Swing States antifa and BLM are targeting on Election Day

+17 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I'm not concerned with the guy carrying openly.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Me either, Im glad to see them.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   

So, no uniformed police officers at polling stations?

If the police are called to a polling station, will they be leaving their guns in their patrol cars?

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You aren't allowed to open carry in most of the cities here in the U.P anyway, even in some small towns out in the boonies.

It scares some of the residents so they made rules. Towns and cities can make rules like that, I would bet even in the township where we vote might call the cops on someone with a gun there. It is illegal to hunt in the city of Negaunee with a gun, meaning banishing a gun is not legal since it could be considered hunting to have a loaded gun on the streets. It used to be that all cities required you to have guns in cases when hauling them to the car so the neighbors wouldn't get all paranoid, that was a good policy.

I wouldn't walk around the street banishing a gun around here, hundreds of people have conceiled weapon permits and I bet that some of them would consider it a threat and shoot you if you did.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

This just sounds like an instance where authorities are forced to regulate the obvious, because people are too stupid to self-regulate themselves.

What possible reason could there be for open carrying well attending a polling place?

Unless of course, your intention was to intimidate some poor old lady out of voting for the left.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I am not concerned with the guy carrying LEGALLY.

Criminals don’t care what laws they pass.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Nothing burger not a big deal at all. Just conceal carry and everyone will still be armed.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Stupid idea.

Banning seems to be the "go-to" for leftists though.

Next up?

Burning books, because it's for the children.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
You aren't allowed to open carry in most of the cities here in the U.P anyway, even in some small towns out in the boonies.

It scares some of the residents so they made rules. Towns and cities can make rules like that, I would bet even in the township where we vote might call the cops on someone with a gun there. It is illegal to hunt in the city of Negaunee with a gun, meaning banishing a gun is not legal since it could be considered hunting to have a loaded gun on the streets. It used to be that all cities required you to have guns in cases when hauling them to the car so the neighbors wouldn't get all paranoid, that was a good policy.

I wouldn't walk around the street banishing a gun around here, hundreds of people have conceiled weapon permits and I bet that some of them would consider it a threat and shoot you if you did.

Open carrying is not BRANDISHING. No one with a CCW would consider open carry a threat. They understand the law, unlike you apparently.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Don't really care myself.

However what would carrying vs not carrying matter either way?

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

You are getting stupid now.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Well, I'm not going to dispute that.

I just think that when government makes laws that those laws should apply to everyone equally. Including the government.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Burning books, because it's for the children.

Rage Against the Machine said it best......"They don't gotta burn the books, they just remove'em."

That's the trend over the last couple of years, censorship and removal.
edit on 16-10-2020 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

originally posted by: rickymouse

Open carrying is not BRANDISHING. No one with a CCW would consider open carry a threat. They understand the law, unlike you apparently.

You are right, I open carry all the time out in the woods and on side of the road when hunting. Brandishing a weapon is what could get you shot.

But there has been incidents here of guys having guns out and swinging them around and the cops were called and in a couple of cases the people were shot by the cops. Suicide by cop is what they call it. If there was a nut on the street looking all big and dangerous with a gun, I would call the cops if I lived in town, someone acting like that could hurt someone. I used to have a reconciled weapon permit for about twelve years, but never renewed it about fifteen years ago. I could get one cheap by taking the class they give at the gun club I have belonged to for over twenty years if I wanted to....Oh wait, all classes were cancelled by covid and the gun club is not open except for the rifle range...reminds me, I should go pay my dues this weekend..

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
People can open carry, I think it's unnecessary but, they should be able to.

If they do anything to threaten, block, or otherwise interfere with people voting then they should be removed/arrested immediately.

And to everyone: don't let asshats intimidate you from going to vote. They are there to scare you from coming at all. They can't know who you are voting for. Go vote! F these idiots.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Gnawledge

I think it's unnecessary

That's what the baddies want you to do.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
A lot of counties, cities, towns, villages and townships have gun laws that don't allow open (or concealed) carry in certain areas.

Examples include town, village and city limits, county offices (especially the courts), police stations, hospitals, schools, bars, along with any private business or organization that doesn't allow weapons. The polling place may have it's own rules as well. Mine is in the township hall/fire station, they likely have a no weapons rule there, not sure.

If there isn't a local law about this already, there should be one IMO. However, it seems like over reach by the governor as it doesn't have to be a statewide law and could be handled on a local level.
edit on 17-10-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

banishing a gun is not legal

Come on Ricky you're good with science/health what happened to your English; the word is Brandishing a gun.

Unless you were subconsciously thinking of banning guns.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join