It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists call for serious study of 'unidentified aerial phenomena'

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Not only are they calling for it they also plan on doing it using the new tools available to them and also by conducting a scientific expedition .

Philippe Ailleris is a project controller at the European Space Agency's Space Research and Technology Center in the Netherlands. He's also the primary force behind the Unidentified Aerospace Phenomena Observations Reporting Scheme, a project to facilitate the collection of UAP reports from both amateur and professional astronomers.

There's a need for the scientific study of UAPs and a requirement to assemble reliable evidence, something that could not be so easily ignored by science, Ailleris told Space.com.

It is necessary to bring scientists objective and high-quality data, Ailleris said. "No one knows where and when a UAP can potentially appear, hence the difficulty of scientific research in this domain."

Former scientist with NASA's Ames Research Center , Kevin Knuth wants to use satellites to monitor the area where the Nimitz encounters happened.

That area will also be the target for a 2021 UAP expedition carried out by Knuth and other researchers. The goal of the outing is "to provide unassailable scientific evidence that UAP objects are real, UAP objects are findable and UAP objects are knowable," according to the website for the project, which is called UAPx.

"We are hoping to detect UAPs, determine their characteristics, flight patterns and any patterns in activity that will allow us to study them more effectively," Knuth told Space.com. "In addition to monitoring a region for UAPs, we are also looking into using satellites to obtain independent confirmation of prominent UAP sightings and to obtain quantifiable information about those UAPs."

Jacob Haqq-Misra is an astrobiologist with the Blue Marble Space Institute of Science in Seattle, Washington.

Haqq-Misra said his knowledge regarding UAPs stems from the public domain, such as the recently released Navy videos and Department of Defense comments. But otherwise, he has not conducted any of his own investigations into the problem.

"I also remain agnostic as to any particular hypothesis that might explain UAP, at least until we have more data to consider," Haqq-Misra said. "The non-human intelligence hypothesis is a popular one, but I don't necessarily have any indication that it is more probable than any other hypothesis at this point."

But as this is a scientific evaluation they are remaining open minded and following the science not looking for ET.

Also, the entire UAP topic has been much maligned by being associated with ET, Kopparapu added. This association prevents a thorough scientific investigation by the science community, he feels, essentially because of a taboo surrounding ET claims.

"I think people immediately think about 'aliens' when they hear UFOs/UAPs, and I want scientists to not fall for that," Kopparapu said. "Be strictly agnostic and don't let preconceived ideas cloud judgments. Have an open mind. Consider this as a science problem. If it turns out these have mundane explanations, so be it."

Kopparapu and like-minded colleagues are proposing a completely unbiased, agnostic approach to study UAP, he said: "Let the data lead us to what they are."
www.space.com...

I think we can all welcome an unbiased science led investigation into the phenomena , wherever it may lead.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I bet there are a group of people that knows perfectly fine what these things are, and they have no interest in sharing this knowledge with us, perhaps in agreement with the unknowns.

I have a theory that they are travelers from the future, humans.. us from the future visiting the past. there was contact, but it was for the select few, they have made some agreement not do disclosure this, perhaps to prevent damage to the timeline/timelines ?

That or the former Canadian prime minister was speaking the truth when he said, the US government already was in contact with five different kinds of aliens.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

"Scientists" and science in general,
currently in America is a dirty word. Let's get "Q"s opinion for the real skinny!!

edit on 16-10-2020 by olaru12 because: syntax repair

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
How can you study that which by it's nature avoids scrutiny?

Science operates on scrutiny.

An unidentified aerial phenomena that can vanish from observation and avoid confrontation will be quite a challenge, for "study".

As this appears to be scrutiny-free, until such a time that we can watch our whole world 24/7.

Show me a plan to put 24 hour surveillance across the whole planet, and I'll show you a plan that will never happen.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
I bet there are a group of people that knows perfectly fine what these things are, and they have no interest in sharing this knowledge with us, perhaps in agreement with the unknowns.

I have a theory that they are travelers from the future, humans.. us from the future visiting the past. there was contact, but it was for the select few, they have made some agreement not do disclosure this, perhaps to prevent damage to the timeline/timelines ?

That or the former Canadian prime minister was speaking the truth when he said, the US government already was in contact with five different kinds of aliens.

If you mean The Honorable Paul Hellier its former Minister of Defense and in Canada that means you arent even anywhere near the "Loop" of important Global data......Canadian Wilbert Smith was in 2-way contact with a Group and exchanging technical data long before the USA even had their heads out of their arses and that includes the "Cabal".

removingtheshackles.blogspot.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
How can you study that which by it's nature avoids scrutiny?

Science operates on scrutiny.

An unidentified aerial phenomena that can vanish from observation and avoid confrontation will be quite a challenge, for "study".

As this appears to be scrutiny-free, until such a time that we can watch our whole world 24/7.

Show me a plan to put 24 hour surveillance across the whole planet, and I'll show you a plan that will never happen.

We already have Planetary level Defenses.

Earth is already under 24 hour scrutiny.

We do know the extent and envelope of the volume of Interplanetary traffic.

Yes,some sneak in.

Yes we try to destroy some or deter some.

No we do not have a Unified Earth Defense Force which is why so many others do slip in at their leisure almost.

We do not yet have a Global Reactionary element in place.....we have a skeleton of one.

If we mobilized Globally and truly ...within 12-18 months we would have a Global Grid capable of securing Human interests on this Planet.

Truth is our Planetary population is very very low.....barely capable of supporting legitimate Space Exploration or Missionary work.

Once we go Interstellar we will need hundreds and hundreds of Millions of people to support that venture....and the need will be constant consistent and evolving upwardly as we expand.

Once we begin manning 50-100 mile long Craft....and they become operational the demand for People will only grow exponentially.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist Show me a plan to put 24 hour surveillance across the whole planet, and I'll show you a plan that will never happen.

Not disagreeing with your statement.....

I don’t think “will never happen” may happen, and here’s the possible rationale.

Elon Musk wants to surround most, if not all, planet earth with his Starlink internet satellite system, the goal to beam down internet to the world... a literally true World Wide Web...which is in play right now.

Take that launch and delivery system, now that we know it can deliver, and put monitoring satellites covering the globe the same way Musk is doing. Then it becomes possible to have a World Wide Web of surveillance.

Think of this as well...no one knows publicly if what Musk is sending up may actually be a multi-function platform that already has DOD surveillance capabilities.

You know...that little black box that gets attached in the last hour of final satellite assembly, just before buttoning up and that no one knows what it is or what it does accept those cleared to do know.
edit on 16-10-2020 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Scientists have been on this for decades already. The only difference now is they are less likely to be blackballed when they still can't prove anything.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   
"I think people immediately think about 'aliens' when they hear UFOs/UAPs"

Well DUH. Because that is what they usually are. They are not natural, they are not Venus, Sirius, marsh gas or seagulls.

"If it turns out these have mundane explanations, so be it."

But what if you find out that they ARE Alien. Not humans from the future but real life aliens?

Then what are you going to do?

Do you think the powers that be are just going to let you tell everyone?

As they say in Arkansas, "Ain't gunna happen."

I would like to see it happen, especially coming from a country not named the U.S.A. But I do not think it will happen in my lifetime. Unless of course they crash on the freeway in the middle of the day and block traffic. We can always hope.
edit on 16-10-2020 by spiritualarchitect because: ats program screw up

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

"Scientists" and science in general,
currently in America is a dirty word. Let's get "Q"s opinion for the real skinny!!

Science is not a dirty word, but science as a fact instead of theory is.
Seems to me that a whole lot of theories are considered as indisputable fact, but that is the dogma that a whole lot of people do not like and have a big problem with. We are far from teaching science facts when we are taught things like an electron spins and orbits an atom for ever and ever, but perpetual motion is not possible. And to add to that crazy statement, the quest for absoulute zero where nothing is moving that has been unatainable, makes a person go hmm, what is one to beleive, everything is in a constant state of motion, or perpetual motion is not possible?
edit on 16-10-2020 by Itzon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itzon We are far from teaching science facts when we are taught things like an electron spins and orbits an atom for ever and ever, but perpetual motion is not possible. And to add to that crazy statement, the quest for absoulute zero where nothing is moving that has been unatainable, makes a person go hmm, what is one to beleive, everything is in a constant state of motion, or perpetual motion is not possible?

👍🏼

Here’s another farce (lie) we all live with and accept it because to say it for what it really is, it’s not a good fit to convey in general speak.

“The Sun rises in the East and set’s in the West” .....

The Sun 🌞 doesn’t do squat but sits there in the center of the solar system.... it is the earth on its fixed +/- orbit around the sun that rotates on its own fixed +/- axis toward the Sun and away from the Sun....

edit on 16-10-2020 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider
That sounds like the movie Timescape 1991 Jeff Daniels.
A group of travellers come back in time to visit disasters

Good film..

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itzon
Seems to me that a whole lot of theories are considered as indisputable fact, but that is the dogma that a whole lot of people do not like and have a big problem with.

The people that have a problem with it are, usually, people that accept without any problem other theories as facts.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Bet this group will agree it is a good idea.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Itzon

Dude you absolutely killed it, 100 percent my thoughts. In fact, you reminded me of one of my favorite quotes, as far as I remember I probably found it on ATS somewhere.........

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge."
Daniel J. Boorstin

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 04:20 AM
link   
While I appreciate the OP very much and agree
I’m a little peeved at the new scientists.
Look at all these scientists’ bravely moving ahead
after being given the greenest of “ITS OKAY TO STUDY THEM NOW lights”.
All the best scientists wait till the mainstream says the coast is clear
to do their job, that’s just a fact..
Yeah I do NOT have the same respect for this brand new
group of UFO scientists who have never looked at the subject before.
The real scientists, the pioneers of UFOLOGY,
were the ones who were laughed at, lost their jobs or suicided.
So good luck newbie mavericks,
tell me again about that new angle where
you are not so sure they are Extra Terrestrial.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Oh great I guess we gonna see steady stream of "ice particles","space dust" etc from these satellites they plan to set up as observing points.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak

There hasn't been much of science in Ufology, so even if we get just a handful of real scientists it would be good.

Also, you have to remember that scientists, like everyone else, need to get money to put food on the table, so they need someone to pay for their work, and if nobody is paying to study UFOs then they are going to have to do it on their free time, if they want to, but that's not the same thing.

top topics

join