It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Stress Buildup Likely to Trigger another Indian Ocean Earthquake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Seismologists have said that a buildup of stress on faults in Sumatra is likely to trigger another large earthquake. This, in turn, can potentially cause another tsunami in the Indian Ocean region. A Sumatra quake has been put at magnitude 9.3 and this could cause one deadly tsunami.

www.livescience.com
A buildup of stress on faults in Sumatra is likely to trigger another large earthquake -- and potentially another tsunami -- in the Indian Ocean region, seismologists say.

Researchers at the University of Ulster-Coleraine in Northern Ireland report in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature that stress is building not only in the Sumatra fault, where the magnitude huge tsuanami-causing quake struck Dec. 26, but also on the adjacent fault zone known as the Sunda Trench, located under the sea west of Sumatra.

The Sumatra quake has been put at magnitude 9.3 by one research group, meaning it was three time stronger than the initial estimate of 9.0 (the magnitude scale is logarithmic).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am sure none of you have forgotten the last tsunami in the Indian Ocean region. Well just imagine another one just like it. If there is any way to prepare for a tsunami, I advise every person living by the Indian Ocean region to do it.

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: New Warning: U.S. Gulf Coast Faces High Tsunami Risk

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I dont think it would cause nearly as many deaths this time unless it was some mega mega tsunami, if another tsunami was to happen at the same size as the last one, id estimate 10,000 deaths maximum, probably more like 1,000. The tide goes out like half an hour before the wave hits, this time people will be well aware of the warning signs. Although if it happens during the night of course.....

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
1000-10000 lives is worth caring for though. This sucks pretty bad.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Father Wingate will be on Coast to Coast tonight, and this is one of his predictions

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
coast to coast? i heard bout that its some sort of radio station rite.. do u listen to it online or radio? whas the frequency? i live in ontario if that makes a difference

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
You can listen here at 11pm Pacific

www.kfyi.com...

It should be very good.

By the way the show airs in Canada too, i dont know where.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
You can check this page on the Coast 2 Coast web site for Canadian affiliates:
www.coasttocoastam.com...

top topics

join