It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its not white privilege

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
In South Africa, A large British public relations company "Bell Pottinger" was exposed sowing discord through a proven false narrative of 'White Monopoly Capital". These kinds of exercises are very deliberate, extremely racists, and serve the same outcome.

See how that has made SA better... Its a sh@t show there now, no one has anything but a few warlords...

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
Even though the truth was revealed, the policy of '"Expropriation without compensation" was adopted.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperStudChuck
I can disprove white privilege very quickly.

Would you prefer to have the advantages of Lebron James: money, skill sets, connections, etc.

Or would you prefer the advantage of being white, with no money, skill sets or connections?

Take Chicago, is it white privilege or the rich that keeps that city in the sewers, or is it 90 years of liberal rule that is led by their own "people of color" in every leadership position?

As I said if you got to blame someone then all you need to do is look in the mirror to do that...

edit on 14-10-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
Even though the truth was revealed, the policy of '"Expropriation without compensation" was adopted.

There is no good answers here. The blacks that took over were worst than the whites that believed in apartheid. Like a lot of places in Africa warlords rule and SA will be that again. Lots of suffering and death, maybe its the whites fault...maybe not, but the white farmer who took care of 100s of black people, fed the country, and was not rich in any definition of the term is gone, and so you got nothing in the end.

edit on 14-10-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 04:49 AM
link   
One only needs to look at Names like Robert Mughabe and Idi Amain(sp?) to see that race is a limiting factor in regards to the OP.

Its power, and then rich vs. poor after that power is seized. Power is colorblind.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 06:53 AM
link   

You make some valid points as you try to boil the conversation down to individual experiences:

* You don't use race when hiring at your company.

* Your company has a female (likely white) VP and CEO.

* The creator of your company has a 170 IQ so it took him places and maybe it would have if he was Mexican cause that's a high IQ.

* If a person joins the military and doesn't make bad choices he can expect to live a good life.

But the demographic data on a whole host of important life situations (some of which I linked to) doesn't support your individual experiences on the macro level.

For example the data clearly shows that tech companies do not hire along the natural brakedown of race and ethnicity in this country. They predominantly hire white people; so while YOU might not care about someones race as you hire them; many people hiring in tech clearly do care, the proof is in the results. Race and ethnicity are a consideration when hiring at tech companies; whether it is an overt consideration or because tech companies have put up barriers in the hiring process, the result is the same; minorities are siverly under represented.

I to work and I am in a hiring position at a big tech company (86,000 employees); I understand what you are referring to when you say that you don't believe you know the race or sex of the candidate before you meet them on the interview day... but I respectfully question if that is really true. It's been my experience that there are tells in people's resumes that allow you to form a mental picture of the person you have not yet met. Their name, their address, the college they went to, their form of writing and ect. I normally have a good idea of who will be walking into my office before I meet them ... am I wrong some times on an individual basis; yes. But on the whole I seam to get more right then wrong. The hiring system, as much as it has been tweaked over the last 10 to 20 years still allows for racial and sexual discrimination. It is still up to you and I the hiring managers not to allow these things to affect our choices. And while you and I might be good at not allowing it to affect our choices the demographic data on hiring at tech companies clearly shows a lot of people are not good at it.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Seems to be, that the ones gaining privilege, are those most eager to please their masters.

"White privilege" may be a misnomer ?

Perhaps a better fit would be :

Useful-Idiot privilege ; or
Ass-kisser privilege ; or
Brown-noser privilege ?

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Ya but : who wants to be chummy with all of those greedy chamber-of-commerce slimeballs ?

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

I've lived overseas in places where being white meant that I was in the minority.

People didn't seem overly keen on handing many privileges to me, in fact they seemed keen to over charge me for everything,

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The kush empire that dominated the Egyptian landscape could have been the ones that developed the civilized world and brought the internal combustion engine, electricity, and television and internet to the masses.

That has always been my argument. Who created radio broadcasting? Who were the pioneers that created the entertainment that used such technology? Same thing with television. Who invented football and baseball and basketball?

Why don't other cultures like the asians invent something for themselves for a change? Maybe then they will be privileged to dominate that world for at least a generation.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Ya but : who wants to be chummy with all of those greedy chamber-of-commerce slimeballs ?

People who don't want to be broke.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

You make some valid points as you try to boil the conversation down to individual experiences:

* You don't use race when hiring at your company.

* Your company has a female (likely white) VP and CEO.

* The creator of your company has a 170 IQ so it took him places and maybe it would have if he was Mexican cause that's a high IQ.

* If a person joins the military and doesn't make bad choices he can expect to live a good life.

But the demographic data on a whole host of important life situations (some of which I linked to) doesn't support your individual experiences on the macro level.

For example the data clearly shows that tech companies do not hire along the natural brakedown of race and ethnicity in this country. They predominantly hire white people; so while YOU might not care about someones race as you hire them; many people hiring in tech clearly do care, the proof is in the results. Race and ethnicity are a consideration when hiring at tech companies; whether it is an overt consideration or because tech companies have put up barriers in the hiring process, the result is the same; minorities are siverly under represented.

I to work and I am in a hiring position at a big tech company (86,000 employees); I understand what you are referring to when you say that you don't believe you know the race or sex of the candidate before you meet them on the interview day... but I respectfully question if that is really true. It's been my experience that there are tells in people's resumes that allow you to form a mental picture of the person you have not yet met. Their name, their address, the college they went to, their form of writing and ect. I normally have a good idea of who will be walking into my office before I meet them ... am I wrong some times on an individual basis; yes. But on the whole I seam to get more right then wrong. The hiring system, as much as it has been tweaked over the last 10 to 20 years still allows for racial and sexual discrimination. It is still up to you and I the hiring managers not to allow these things to affect our choices. And while you and I might be good at not allowing it to affect our choices the demographic data on hiring at tech companies clearly shows a lot of people are not good at it.

Company positions will not naturally fall along the statistical breakdown of the population demographics. Tech companies are overwhelmingly male dominated by white, indian and asian because tech companies overwhelmingly hire STEM grads.

It is not different than the NBA being mostly black even though we are only 13% of the population. The pool of qualified candidates is overwhelmingly black because basketball is just culturally preferred within the black community as a sport. Much like how you don't see a lot of black swimmers or in other sports.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

So my company is own by Boeing, bought us up like 12 years ago. I have about 40 people on my team. The breakdown is 2 Black men, 1 White female, 1 woman of color female, 4 or 5 other persons of color, and about 30+ white dudes.

I want more diversity, but in my 12 years I have had a total of 5 Black men interview and about the same for women out of 100s of applicants. The hiring agency person I work with is actually a Black female, so I don't even see a resume until they pass her first in whether they at least meet our minimum requirements.

The company is about 60 miles from Portland and the town is a really white town, and even talking to Boeing senior HR rep that was a Black Female a few years ago we both agreed it was hard to get diversity to want to move to the area and that unless we opened up in Portland the diversity struggle will just keep going. Saying this it is in your best interest with my company if you are not a White male with all other things being the same, so demographics play a lot into all this as in where do people want to live and I would bet if a big tech company opened up doors in Chicago they would have a huge minority work force.

The other part is just the job itself...not too many women are interested and Blacks in general are very low percentage in the STEM degrees and tend to go other directions too. Why is only 12% of the nursing force males? Is there a problem that needs fixing? Another group in my company of about 500 people who are remote workers who can live anywhere, so the diversity is well mixed except for women. They are mostly all prior military for the job, so the number of women is rather low too, but once again it is hard to find women that want to spend 8 month in the dirt of Afghanistan, there are some but not many.

At the end of the day in 2020 I think it is easy just to blame everything on racial and sexual discrimination when there is so much more in play. Does discrimination exists, yes and I would say it is at the smaller companies in small amounts. Over the years I been told horror stories of smaller company owners where they might as well be back in the 1950s, but that is an individual level, and over time hurts the company, and so there is a good chance the company doesn't make it... I can also tell you stories of small Black companies that only hire Blacks, or Asian Companies that only hire Asians, same with Latinos, I think in minority own companies they are much more likely to discriminate outside of their own kind.

Today only about 12% of Whites actually identify with what one would call a White culture, where Latinos/Asians it is about 60% and Blacks is over 70% for their cultures, so I'm sure if you went back to the 1950s Whites would be 70%+ too, but today so much is now grey in nature that once was truly Black and White.

edit on 15-10-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Very few businesses will place something higher than "business need". Those that do, may be cowing to shareholders. But small businesses are going to put aces in their places as a general rule.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Company positions will not naturally fall along the statistical breakdown of the population demographics. Tech companies are overwhelmingly male dominated by white, indian and asian because tech companies overwhelmingly hire STEM grads.

It is not different than the NBA being mostly black even though we are only 13% of the population. The pool of qualified candidates is overwhelmingly black because basketball is just culturally preferred within the black community as a sport. Much like how you don't see a lot of black swimmers or in other sports.

I agree 100%....people have a tendency to follow paths of the people around them follow. We can call it White privilege, or Indian or Asian privilege too. I'm White and my wife is Asian, so one boy is in a EE major with a math minor. He looks Asian as hell, not a lot of my White blood in him outside of being 6'2", My other son I think is going to break the mold and go into the military as maybe a nurse, we will see. He looks more like me and is 6'5". I'm sure if we were a Latino family their career paths would be much different as example.

I have posted on this a number of times and what we would call the the Black culture is very dysfunctional on many levels and so maybe this is why the whole privilege thing is being used in the first place to label other cultures that don't have the same level of dysfunctionality as we see in much of what we see a the Black culture.

edit on 15-10-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Very few businesses will place something higher than "business need". Those that do, may be cowing to shareholders. But small businesses are going to put aces in their places as a general rule.

If you are not hiring the best you can then you are doing your company no favors...With that said when you do hire you are rolling the dice as to whether the person will be a good worker and team member when you only have about an hour interview to figure all that out. This is why when someone on my team vouches for a person it goes a long way in whether they are hired or not. Could this breed discrimination to a point? I think it can though it hasn't for me, but it could develop a good old boy scenario type environment.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

id rather hire people that like each other already than to roll the dice on team building. But that really only goes to hourly labor. Among managers, i prefer folks who are strong willed and independant thinkers. People who aren't afraid to call BS on anything I, or anyone else, says. And people with thick enough skin to tolerate that kind of feedback.

Obviously, how its stated is a big part of it. But one should not expect people they respect to be anything but direct.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
A problem is companies often become insular in their hiring and it can result in a lack of diversity in many ways.

I work in finance and one of the few blacks in my position. I rarely see any others. A big issue is that the way recruiting is set up in this field is that it is often based on "who you know". So if most of the people are white men, when they bring in new guys to the business, it is often just more white men.

It isn't intentional, but just a consequence of not having any formal outreach to increase diversity.

Having a diverse workforce is good, but the focus has to remain on performance.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Myself and the CFO are the only 2 males in our accounting division. The rest are female. COVID wiped out most of us. The folks left are the folks who've been around the longest. And we hired an hourly person into accounting. She mostly does AP and filing while she learns the ropes. And im only about 40% accounting. The rest is operational oversight.

But the company i work in hires mostly females, for whatever reason.

posted on Oct, 15 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Myself and the CFO are the only 2 males in our accounting division. The rest are female. COVID wiped out most of us. The folks left are the folks who've been around the longest. And we hired an hourly person into accounting. She mostly does AP and filing while she learns the ropes. And im only about 40% accounting. The rest is operational oversight.

But the company i work in hires mostly females, for whatever reason.

Different industries attract different types of people.

In finance, it is overwhelming male. When I was in business school, men more often than not focused on finance /consulting fields while the women tended to focus on marketing. Finance (wall street / private equity) can be brutal on your life with long hours and doesn't mesh with "having kids".

Ad agencies are often female dominated. Nursing is dominated by women. So is education.

Often times it isn't discrimination, but cultural...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join