It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its not white privilege

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well who makes that sterotype so prevalent? Movies, music maybe?
That and when a black person makes it, they are all of a sudden Coons or Uncle Toms.

Black people are their own worst enemy.
a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

Nope. It was a clever usage of an appropriate term for what the user was trying to convey.

He is right. Its not about who you are, or what you know. Its about who you know. The last time i was unemployed i purchased a membership with my chamber of commerce, and just started going to every chamber function and participating heavily in their events (along with Rotary, which is the club of choice in my former town).

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to get on the radar of people who make decisions. Chamber dues are less than $300 for most communities. A small price to pay for a buy in to camaraderie.

That's very interesting.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The US has had a black pesident, sec state, secdef, generals, blah blah blah. Quit making excuses and go make some money.

Damn. Some peeps just dont get it. Aint nuthin in this world fair.

You want it...go kick some ass for it. Whining just makes you look weak.

a reply to: DanDanDat

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
That and when a black person makes it, they are all of a sudden Coons or Uncle Toms.

I actually don't disagree.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

Nope. It was a clever usage of an appropriate term for what the user was trying to convey.

He is right. Its not about who you are, or what you know. Its about who you know. The last time i was unemployed i purchased a membership with my chamber of commerce, and just started going to every chamber function and participating heavily in their events (along with Rotary, which is the club of choice in my former town).

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to get on the radar of people who make decisions. Chamber dues are less than $300 for most communities. A small price to pay for a buy in to camaraderie.

My father was a civil servant (deasal engine mechanic at a waist treatment plant); he had to take tests prior to every new job or promotion he got. His edge was that he would always go to the local republican party monthly meetings. He isn't an overly political person and hasn't been to a meeting since his last promotion over 25 years ago. But during his formidable years the Republicans were in power in the area and attended their meetings and shaking hands got him many job opportunities.

"Who you know" is definitely an advantage; but is it a stretch to assume that in these social networking settings people of similar race and ethnicity are going to network more strongly then people of different racial and ethnic backgrounds? This is not to imply that these people are racist just that people are more comfortable with people who look like themselves. And if "who you know" is a source of privilege in this world isn't that privilege going to fall along racial lines?

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
They way I grew up there were many black families that had far more privilege than I did. I grew up with one parent that died from drowning right before I was born and the other was a drug addict while I grew up. I grew up in a drug riddled neighborhood with pretty much everyone doing Crack at the time, now it’s heroine and meth in that neighborhood.

Never had medical insurance while a kid. Never had Dental as a kid. Never had anything but some family that loved me and my own drive to succeed in life.

I also went to terrible schools where those supposed under-privileged kids (black kids) were distracting me from the little education I could get at that school, always fighting and trying to act tough throwing up their gang signs and stuff. Got jumped numerous times for not allowing myself to be bullied.

Honestly, I thought it would’ve been a privilege to grow up black based on the schools I attended. But once I grew up and white privilege became a topic, I quickly realized the only privilege you get in life is the privileges your parents can pass down to you. It has absolutely nothing to do with race.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Mandroid7

Had to read that twice.

Lol. That was kinda the point.
Racism where it doesn't really exist.
These guys are starting rediculous race wars and problems that aren't there with this racism bs.
Pure deflection and misdirection.
Wasn't trying to play word games..everyone is getting played.
Hopefully it doesn't get taken negatively.
Prob should have explained it better.

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Added

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
They way I grew up there were many black families that had far more privilege than I did. I grew up with one parent that died from drowning right before I was born and the other was a drug addict while I grew up. I grew up in a drug riddled neighborhood with pretty much everyone doing Crack at the time, now it’s heroine and meth in that neighborhood.

Never had medical insurance while a kid. Never had Dental as a kid. Never had anything but some family that loved me and my own drive to succeed in life.

I also went to terrible schools where those supposed under-privileged kids (black kids) were distracting me from the little education I could get at that school, always fighting and trying to act tough throwing up their gang signs and stuff. Got jumped numerous times for not allowing myself to be bullied.

Honestly, I thought it would’ve been a privilege to grow up black based on the schools I attended. But once I grew up and white privilege became a topic, I quickly realized the only privilege you get in life is the privileges your parents can pass down to you. It has absolutely nothing to do with race.

What if white parents have more privileges to pass down to their children than do minority parents? Or the number of white parents that have privileges to pass down to their children disproportionately outnumber minority parents that can do the same?

This more privilege might not be born from ones race; but if true one race would still have more privileges.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Right.

So what's their excuse for the wealthy Africans (read: BLACK Africans) raping TF out of the continent while oppressing their comrades?

Hmm?

< hears nothing but crickets >

Thought so.

The same thing liberals say about black on black slavery. For ALL of recorded history black people have legally owned black slaves in Africa, and it is ongoing today. But talk to a liberal and you'd think white people are totally responsible and the only ones to have ever owned slaves in all of human history. They really don't give a rats behind about the current black slaves held legally in Africa today by black people.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Im sure there are a few like that. But would youw ant to work for them? I mean, i get the idea of "make money from whoever wants to spend it". And ill take just about anyones money, if they want to spend it. Its all green. That is the only race that matters...green.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The "White privilege" meme says to children of color:

You can never succeed because you aren't white

White people will ALWAYS get the job before you even if less qualified.

White people will ALWAYS have better opportunities than you and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

You will never, ever achieve the American dream because it only belongs to white people, so give up.

This is the most harmful meme for children of color that has ever been invented and every liberal and Democrat are quick to tell children of color how they don't have a chance in he double toothpicks of ever succeeding in life if there is a white person around. It basically says, if you are a person of color, just give up and accept your lot in life.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   

That still circles back to privilege from wealth and not race.

2 kids grow up rich, both will exert some privilege in life no matter color.

2 kids that grew up poor, neither will have privilege in life no matter color.

1 black kid grows up rich and a white kid grows up poor, the black kid will have more privilege, color still didn’t matter.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
The "White privilege" meme says to children of color:

You can never succeed because you aren't white

White people will ALWAYS get the job before you even if less qualified.

White people will ALWAYS have better opportunities than you and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

You will never, ever achieve the American dream because it only belongs to white people, so give up.

This is the most harmful meme for children of color that has ever been invented and every liberal and Democrat are quick to tell children of color how they don't have a chance in he double toothpicks of ever succeeding in life if there is a white person around. It basically says, if you are a person of color, just give up and accept your lot in life.

That's a good point; so you would agree that the "white privilege" meme itself does create white privilege. It is harmful to children of color causing them to give up while white children prosper with out having a similar meme to hold them back.

Who created the "white privilege" meme? Was it people in minority communities or the rich and powerful? Democrat Party leadership, if not invent it, certainly do use it to their advantage quite a lot. These party leaders being rich and powerful and predominantly white.

It's a good example of rich and powerful privilege that predominately advantages white people.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

That still circles back to privilege from wealth and not race.

2 kids grow up rich, both will exert some privilege in life no matter color.

2 kids that grew up poor, neither will have privilege in life no matter color.

1 black kid grows up rich and a white kid grows up poor, the black kid will have more privilege, color still didn’t matter.

I would agree; I believe the point I am trying to discuss is that privilege from wealth can not be divorced from having racial affects.

As I said in my original post: Its not white privilege, it is a rich and powerful privilege that predominately advantages white people.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
So you have a few scenarios, so which one do you want to live...

1. Have a dysfunctional family, school, neighborhood, city.... Make poor decisions your whole life, like drop out of school, get involved with gangs, get or have someone pregnant at 16, go to jail, use hard drugs....and more...rinse and repeat this cycle over and over... Who is at fault here...The rich?

2. Have #1 but get the hell out and don't making serious poor life decisions.. Join the military, or something else to get out and start something new. This is a hard thing to do...

3. Grow up middle class, or close to it with no real problems, but you don't do much with your life and go from one poor paying job to another never really building on your education and/or skills. You find yourself at 35 making about what you made at 19. Who is at fault here...The rich?

4. Middle class go to college get 60k in student loans, but your degree doesn't align with anything in the business world and so you are treated as a person with a little bit more education than HS at a 60k cost. You find that the jobs you can get pay crap since you have no skills yet and just a crappy degree. Who is at fault here...The rich again?

4. Go to college and get a degree that actually is good and aligned with the business world, work your way up building your skills and live a pretty good life. Did the rich make this happen?

5. Be a Plummer apprentice or generic_01 apprentice, learn the job well and live a good Middle Class life...

6. Do #5 but after 5 to 10 years start your own company, and live a much better life...

7. Do # 4,5,6 and work 80 hours per week building a company and after 10 15 years you are well-off if you are good.

I'm trying to understand where those 35,000 really rich people in America are holding everyone else down? The company I work for was started in a garage, the Tech guy was a super genius the business guys were Sandford doctorate. The company today provides jobs for about 1500 people with 85k on the lower side of wage... Those starters moved on and sold the company and made 50+ million each...So I guess they are now part of the rich problem...lol

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

As I said in my original post: Its not white privilege, it is a rich and powerful privilege that predominately advantages white people.

What do you see as rich?

There are only 1.5 million at the 10 million or more range. That drastically drops to 85,000 at the 50 million and 35,000 at the 100 million with 2000 Billionaires.

There is about 190 million Whites, so how are they getting this advantage from around a million White rich? Also, what about the Asians...They do better than everyone...

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: lakenheath24

I actually don't disagree.

And that's the saddest part because I've known so many wonderful African-Americans. My cousin married one. My neighbors are great. There are a few who rotate through where I practice. I ran on the same teams with quite a few.

I know my experience is not in any way unique. It's the norm for most Americans, but then you see the other side of the coin and that's so outsized seeming.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I'm trying to understand where those 35,000 really rich people in America are holding everyone else down? The company I work for was started in a garage, the Tech guy was a super genius the business guys were Sandford doctorate. The company today provides jobs for about 1500 people with 85k on the lower side of wage... Those starters moved on and sold the company and made 50+ million each...So I guess they are now part of the rich problem...lol

Are those guys part of the rich problem? Maybe, you have not given a detailed description of their lives so its hard to make a determination based on your small anecdote.

Of those 1500 people making over 85K a year what is the racial, ethnic and sex demographics? If your company is in parity with the tech giants than they fall short link. Is it because tech companies are inherently sexist or racist? Probably not, but there is a clear disparity in the demographics of those they hire.

As for the supper genius tech guy; are we assuming he is white? Assuming so, would the Sandford Doctorate Business Guys given him the same opportunity to work with them if he was Mexican? Would he be less likely to have a garage to start a business in if he was Mexican link? How about access to the capital used to start his business link

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

My dad's baby brother went #2 and then on to #7. He and his military buddies went in on a tech startup in silicon valley. He retired after his first million. He then decided he wasn't done and went back as a higher up manager for Apple to make a bit more. Then he retired again.

Although dad's family wasn't dysfunctional, just very poor.
edit on 14-10-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The golden rule is
He how owns the gold, makes the rules.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join