It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its not white privilege

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Its not white privilege...

... it is a rich and powerful privilege that predominately advantages white people.

We could all agree that for a very long time the rich and powerful have been designing the world's systems so that they would be at an advantage; becoming more rich and powerful while others become porer and less powerful.

These rich and powerful people, we could also agree, are predominantly white...

... they are not all white, but they are predominantly white ...

... so these world systems that have been designed to put the rich and powerful at an advantage by extension have been designed to predominantly put white people at an advantage.

Now while this does mean Jamie down at the trailer park is at an advantage over Tyrone who lives two trailers down in the same $hity park; It doesn't mean he created the system, it doesn't mean he likes the system, or that he even understands the system ... but it is still putting him at an advantage over Tyrone; it is still making him a few dollars richer than Tyrone...

... it's not making Jamie as welthy as Trump or Pelosi; but it is does help him put more Dirty Burgers on the table than Tyrone can.

Jamie is the recipient of privilege that predominately advantages white people over all others.

Like that home loan you can't get unless you put 20% down as collateral. Who is more likely to have that 20%? The young black couple that comes from predominately white suburbia, or the young white couple from the inner city where minorities predominantly live?

But don't worry the system that creates an advantage for the rich and powerful, who's demographic is predominantly white, will still give you that mortgage even if you don't have the 20% to put down. That pore white couple from the inner city not only have to pay back the loan to the bank (owned predominantly by Rich and powerful people) they have to make balloon interest payments and pay an insurance company (owned predominantly by white people) to insure their mortgage.

But just because the rich and powerful are predominantly white this does not mean that white people are predominantly rich and powerful. The vast majority of white people are out side the group we are calling the rich and power. So while the vast majority of white people had no hand in creating the systems that put the rich and powerful at an advantage; they are still the recipients of a small fraction of that advantage that these systems create.

But if the vast majority of white people had no hand in creating the systems that are putting the rich and powerful at an advantage than is it reasonable for society to demand that all white people take responsibility for those systems? Is being the recipient of a small fraction of that privilege, through no action of their own, enough to blame the vast majority of white people?

But then again is blame the driving force behind the crys of "white privilege" or could those crys be more the result of frustration? Frustration that the vast majority of white people are unwilling to acknowledge that they do see an advantage brought on by the system built by the rich and powerful rather then blaming them for it?

And is all this decisiveness just another facet of the system built by the rich and powerful? As Pelosi and Trump fan the flaims of racial and ethnic strife are they doing so as advisories or are they allies in a system ment to keep them rich and powerful? Deviding your opposition and causing them to bicker amongst each other is a great way to insure that they leave you alone while you seek to fleas them.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
In this country, we have a serious rigger problem.
Unchecked capitalism. Paidoff politicians and a few gov run fake corporations.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Bro, rich peeps make the rules no matter what country/color your majority is. Dont matter if its Argentina or Zimbabwe,.its a poor vs. rich world.

Always has been.

As far as white privilidge? Whoever coined that aint never been to the AppAm region and seen a country ghetto.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Completely agree. Tens of millions of poor white people in the USA wondering where they go to pick up their so called "privileges".

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What if the poor and middle class invented a new currency to compete with the dollar?

Introduce this new currency and coordinate a run on the banks at the same time. Honor only the new currency as legal tender.

Admittedly, we will be exchanging one tool of corruption for another but the move would scare the hell out of the rich and powerful once their Benjamins hold less value.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Right.

So what's their excuse for the wealthy Africans (read: BLACK Africans) raping TF out of the continent while oppressing their comrades?

Hmm?

< hears nothing but crickets >

Thought so.
edit on 10/14/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/14/2020 by Nyiah because: their, not specifically your. poor choie of wording on my part

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Systems rigged to advantage the rich and powerful do so because you are rich and powerful which happens because you can manage your money one way or another. For the effect to trickle in the way you imply would argue that the laws/rules in question also have a racial component to them, as in an explicit one.

They don't. The only ones that do are Affirmative Action style laws which, of course, work on behalf of Tyrone, not Jamie. In fact, all things being equal, if both Jamie and Tyrone get into a position to apply to an elite academic institution for college, Tyrone will be far more likely to be accepted than Jamie thanks to such laws and regulations.

Any perceived disparity is more likely to be attributable to financial acumen, even among the poor, than it is to questions of race. Rules and systems set up to advantage the wealthy will also tend to advantage those with better financial discipline and acumen, even among the poor.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Right.

So what's their excuse for the wealthy Africans (read: BLACK Africans) raping TF out of the continent while oppressing their comrades?

Hmm?

< hears nothing but crickets >

Thought so.

No excuse needed:

These rich and powerful people, we could also agree, are predominantly white...

... they are not all white, but they are predominantly white

My thought fits your example.
edit on 14-10-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Disagree OP

United Negro College Fund?
Affirmative Action?
Quotas?

It's not about being disadvantaged because of your color. It's about subscribing to a culture that plays the consummate victim based on measurements of wealth - Money and Stuff
This same culture also puts no value into effort (legal) to achieve wealth. They "expect" it.

Flipside...
Look at the Asian cultures that have settled here in the US. Most have arrived (some on boats) with absolutely NOTHING to their name.
Did they whine and complain and protest and march about being victimized? NOPE
They built communities, started and grew businesses, sent their children to college or into trades who in turn, gave back to their communities.
Their culture promotes this. It does NOT promote ignorance as membership. Uneducated as fitting in. Get Rich or Die Trying as a means. Confrontation and aggression towards authority simply because some rap song tells you to.

Many many more things to mention

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
In the world of the low class, a person's cable package or the number of gigabites they can use per month proves their worth these days.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Systems rigged to advantage the rich and powerful do so because you are rich and powerful which happens because you can manage your money one way or another. For the effect to trickle in the way you imply would argue that the laws/rules in question also have a racial component to them, as in an explicit one.

They don't. The only ones that do are Affirmative Action style laws which, of course, work on behalf of Tyrone, not Jamie. In fact, all things being equal, if both Jamie and Tyrone get into a position to apply to an elite academic institution for college, Tyrone will be far more likely to be accepted than Jamie thanks to such laws and regulations.

Any perceived disparity is more likely to be attributable to financial acumen, even among the poor, than it is to questions of race. Rules and systems set up to advantage the wealthy will also tend to advantage those with better financial discipline and acumen, even among the poor.

I want to quote this as also my opinion. Well said. Let's see if the OP responds.....I'm not gonna hold my breath.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Used to be... Now I see more black privilege than anything. They can kill each other in the streets and nobody bats an eye. They can riot, loot, and protest, and city leaders demand the police to stand down. They can scream racism at anything they want to and the media falls in lockstep with them. The list goes on and on.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Had to read that twice.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
People in my "real life" do not know, but we are Romani. From Hungary. My great grandfather was wise enough to shake his own ethnicity for the American way of life. On my dads side we have some "Lebanese" ethnicity that im 100% certain was african american. As well as Cherokee (my great great grandmother walked the trail of tears).

My point here is: i look "white". Im not "white".

In my small hometown, where my grandfather was highly respected as a pillar of the community, even my relationship to him didn't benefit me. I worked as a CNA for 8 years (between nursing home and mental hospital), making minimum wage, or just over it.

There is no "white privilege". In fact, the perception of such kept me from being accepted to most universities due to their affirmative action policies.

The whole claim is asinine and based in the concept of critical race theory.

FWIW, i have 2 sons. One is "white", the other is obviously (very obviously) latino. One apparently has a privilege, while the other doesn't. My less privileged son has achieved while the more privileged hasn't. Its just an asinine concept all around.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Mandroid7

Had to read that twice.

Okay so it wasn't just me that did a double take.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I don't think the laws/rules of the system need to have explicit racial components in them to work out the way I have described. All they need to do is put people of similar back grounds, traits and customs at an advantage. If we put people based on back grounds, traits and customs into groups with out caring about their race we would likely discover that we have in fact segregated them by race even if we did not intend too.

Going back to my inner city vs suburbs example. A bank can say "we are an equal opportunity leander" but also have a policy that they only lend to people living in a suburb and never from an inner city. The policy doesn't have an explicit racial component, in fact the bank is declaring that they don't want to discriminate by race. But their policy to discriminate by location would still disproportionately advantage one racial group over another.

Affirmative action definitely is a system by which one racial group is explicitly put at an advantage over another. The question becomes more big picture; does this one system dominate all others or are their a lot more, perhaps mostly implicit, systems in place that advantage white people? If the later is true than it really doesn't mater that Affirmative Action puts minorities at an advantage it is just nose amongst all the other systems that do the opposite.

Financial acumen is ofcourse a big source of segregation in this country. But even if you take each layer of societies economic stratification on its own; with in that layer there are still clear racial disparities. Does the ratio of black to white hedge fund owners mirror the overall population ratio? And if it doesn't than there might be systems in place that puts white hedge fund owners over black hedge fund owners.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

Nope. It was a clever usage of an appropriate term for what the user was trying to convey.

He is right. Its not about who you are, or what you know. Its about who you know. The last time i was unemployed i purchased a membership with my chamber of commerce, and just started going to every chamber function and participating heavily in their events (along with Rotary, which is the club of choice in my former town).

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to get on the radar of people who make decisions. Chamber dues are less than $300 for most communities. A small price to pay for a buy in to camaraderie.

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think most of the disparities financial / cultural.

On the other hand, there is an advantage that whiteness grants. It isn't huge, but often overlooked. White folks are often given the "benefit of doubt" whereas a minority may not. Every black person, particularly black men, know we are often viewed with fear or doubt.

I see it in my own affluent community. You get a bunch of white kids partying smoking dope, etc the reaction is "Oh, that is just kids being kids..." However, if a group of black kids are partying smoking dope, "OMG, street gangs are taking over!"

With that said, I don't live my life worrying about stuff like that... It isn't fair, but is what it is...

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Oh snap....hope your neighbors keep everything locked up.

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

posted on Oct, 14 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Used to be... Now I see more black privilege than anything. They can kill each other in the streets and nobody bats an eye. They can riot, loot, and protest, and city leaders demand the police to stand down. They can scream racism at anything they want to and the media falls in lockstep with them. The list goes on and on.

Are all of those things you are calling privilege helping these groups of people lift themselves up the social economic ladder? If they aren't can they truly be considered privileges?

Is being able to kill your neighbor or him kill you with out fear of punishment truly a privilege? Or is it another means that will insure the rich become wealthier while those killing each other become less wealthy?
edit on 14-10-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join