It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cassini Finds an Atmosphere on Saturn's Moon Enceladus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The Cassini spacecraft has found something very interesting. This interesting fact is that Saturn's icy moon Enceladus has a significant atmosphere. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory said that the Cassini spacecraft unlocked this moon's secret during recent flybys.

space.com
The Cassini spacecraft has revealed that Saturn's icy moon Enceladus has a significant atmosphere.

The spacecraft unlocked the moon’s secret during recent flybys, NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory announced Wednesday. Scientists, using Cassini's magnetometer instrument for their studies, said the source may be volcanism, geysers, or gases escaping from the surface or the interior.

When Cassini had its first encounter with Enceladus on Feb. 17 at an altitude of 725 miles (1,167 km), the magnetometer instrument saw a striking signature in the magnetic field. On March 9, Cassini approached to within 310 miles (500 km) of Enceladus' surface and obtained additional evidence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Imagine going to a moon in space and seeing a blue sky just like the earth's sky. This could now be possible. I think that this is a great discovery and is very appealing to space lovers. There is another great fact in the article. This fact is that Enceladus is the most reflective object in the solar system.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I love news like this. Is it just me or is there something going on with all the recent news that one by one point to signs of life, or at least enviroments capable of sustaining life, elsewhere in our solar system.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Its not just you jrod. I think something big is going to come out of this and I think the government is doing this to bring about a disclosure of aliens to the public.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Very interesting. I've been fascinated by recent reports made possible by the technology we have in space. Alas, I doubt that our world governments will allow anything really provacative to become public information.

So don't get your hopes up.

-VW

new topics

top topics

join