It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Govt. Documents See Risk of Surprise EMP Attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Govt. Documents See Risk of Surprise EMP Attack

Great video from the 'Its [redacted]' team.

Apparently an EMP attack is seen as the first strike option on American soil.

EMP. Why don't we talk about electromagnetic pulse risks more? Recent U.S. government documents see an attack as not only possible, but the first choice of countries like Iran, Russia, China and North Korea. So much so that an Executive Order in 2019 tasked the Departments of Homeland Security and Energy to assess options to increase "resilience" before and after an attack. CIA officials think even a moderate sized nuclear weapon detonated at the right altitude above the center of the U.S. could knock out power for most of the country. With no power, food, water, gasoline and telecommunications networks have a likelihood of failing. A Federal Energy Regulatory Commission report suggests that if just 9 of 55,000 substations in key locations were destroyed and one transformer manufacturer was disabled, the entire U.S. grid “would be down for at least 18 months, probably longer.” In 2013, an anonymous attack on a Silicon Valley substation knocked out the facility for 27 days — an PG&E official called it a "dress rehearsal."

Seems a serious concern for the US government

Well worth the watch

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Ha ha I just listened to this one the other day. Makes you wonder that maybe our tax money should be spent on things like this but according to the video the bill has stalled to invest in some infrastructure improvements. I remember Trump signing the EO maybe something can get done. Sounded like a credible threat

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Aka..shutting down the grid if covid doesn't work?

Added..
Imo It's their job to do what if scenarios, but our electronics not working would probably be our last issue to deal with in a nuclear bomb situation.
edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Addded

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I've lost count of the EMP fiction books I've read...

The grid going down is some really scary stuff. Most people don't realize how dependent society is on electricity. Some are estimating like 90% of the population would be dead within a year.

One Second After is probably the best fiction book I've read on it. The author actually advised congress on EMPs and was instrumental in some of the govt preparation for it.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

We had some electrical interruptions where I live and people lost their minds.
We are talking a few hours.

If there is an EMP, there is going to be a lot of crazy people.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
That’s the podcast with Dr Vincent Pry. He wrote the legislation on EMP hardening. Was the scariest interview i’ve ever done. Super credible and will keep you up tonight considering prepping for more than just what you see! it’s what you don’t see actually that will get us.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Wait until they are days without power and they really do get mean , I have seen respectable people go mad after 5 days without power where i lived years ago , They were hammering at my door demanding to know how i had lights going and my television on like nothing had happened

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

The grid going down is some really scary stuff. Most people don't realize how dependent society is on electricity. Some are estimating like 90% of the population would be dead within a year.

Yea, they also predicted Hillary ahead in the polls.
Covid to kill 2 million Americans.
Not knocking you, but I am not sure how much faith I have in their predictions.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This is why more people should prep, really scary stuff.
edit on 13-10-2020 by FinallyAwake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Last time we were without power for an extended period of time, we went and got a big generator. Got enough gas for bout a month. I could probably live without electricity, but I would not enjoy it. Most of my hobbies involve the PC. Digital art is a lot better in many ways to traditional. Always have a clean canvas, always have the paints I need etc. I would need to hand pump the basement out whenever there was heavy rain/meltoff, start cutting down and splitting lumber for the wood burning stove. Handpumping water from the well. A lot of what makes life easier is through all the little things added up.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I have lived in developing countries without electricity, but I always had a reliable water source nearby even if we had to haul it up in buckets by horse cart. I didn't mind it. Actually enjoyed some aspects of it, but I can't see most people taking that attitude, and I don't know where most folks would get water. Everybody worries about food and electricity, but water is the scary things. You probably depend on electricity to get your water.

I read One Second After a few years ago. Actually, I listened to it. One of the very few audio books that I've been able to finish. I prefer to read. This was that captivating. I highly recommend it.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Same here in the Chicago area. Especially if it happens after a snowstorm and the temperature is Zero degrees.

Would an EMP attack knock out cell phone communications, including voice/messaging/internet? That would be worse than WWIII to most people under age 80.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Unless the books I read with EMP attacks are wrong, it fries like all the electronics.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Unless the books I read with EMP attacks are wrong, it fries like all the electronics.

All the ones attached to the long wires, yes.

On the electrical grid.

Not so much the ones that are on really short wires, like the 50 feet between my power supplies and my house.

It doesn't effect the ones not attached and in a grounded Faraday cage at all...

When I was in the military it was called "EMP Hardened."

Some of us plan ahead... not necessarily because of an EMP attack from another country but because of the next Carrington Event.

And to the posters in the thread... expect a 95% death rate in a year if the US is without power.

See you there!

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Two words;

Faraday Cage

*boom*

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Reminds me, I gotta build a parabolic death ray mirror I been putting off lol. Been trying in vain to find a large rear projection screen TV locally to rip the fresnel lense from. Useful for cooking and melting metals and such.
edit on Tue, 13 Oct 2020 21:38:08 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I woke up last Sunday to no power. I couldnt make coffee, log on, make toast. Nothing. Ever try reading first thing in the morning? Horrible. Yeah probably with a coffee but with zero to wake you up?
After half an hour i was pacing the house going mental. Dont know whether it was lack of coffee or just lack of any stimuli, but i really was getting antsy. I never found out why it was off the whole neighbourhood was but it came on after 45 minutes of real torture i gotta admit.

An EMP would tip America right over the edge. If anyone thinks its bad now i would safely say that without power the USA would become a total hellhole. Any country would i just said USA because of the video..
edit on 13/10/20 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

pfft

Just close Starbucks and grocery stores for 24 hours.

People will absolutely lose their fecal matter.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well they've enough toilet roll put away for that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join