It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For people that still listen to the radio

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I've been a fan of AM and FM radio since the early 80s when Walkmans came out, to listening to local daytime talk radio when I got a job as a medical courier, then finally discovering Art Bell in 1996 in the middle of the night working as a lowly lab tech.

During that time I also dabbled in Short Wave radio because I was fascinated with listening to things from halfway around the world.

Ever since smart phones have been around, I've been able to listen to Pandora Radio and the likes where ever I go. Either on headphones or in the car.

I came across a phone app called Radio Garden. I've been using it endlessly since I downloaded it a few months ago.

What it basically is, is "Google Earth" with land markers where every radio station is broadcasting from. There are thousands and thousands of stations you can listen to. You can also search by music genre or search for talk radio.

I have found so many stations. Here are a few that I jump back and forth too.

Arctic Outpost AM1270
Exotica Radio (Portugal)
Vapor FM (LA)
Generations Rap US Gold (France)
Nostalgie Best of the 60s (France)

The French stations seem to be the best. Lol.

They also have all the BBC stations.

And if you are a fan of Reggae Music, there are so many to choose from.

I have found Classic Punk stations and just crazy stuff.

If you already have this app, please drop your favorite stations. And if you are a fan of radio, you need this app.
edit on 12-10-2020 by galaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga

What is this thing you call..."radio"? Strange term!!!

Seriously...nice post

*To add: I'm a guitar player! Nice linx
edit on 12-10-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I used to stay up late and listen to the marine band on the short wave radio I had (not a musical band) as well as whatever I could pull from other countries. If the weather conditions were just right, you could get Eastern blok nations.
Right now I'd love to listen to radio...just not USA stations playing all the stupid political ads.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
I used to stay up late and listen to the marine band on the short wave radio I had (not a musical band) as well as whatever I could pull from other countries. If the weather conditions were just right, you could get Eastern blok nations.
Right now I'd love to listen to radio...just not USA stations playing all the stupid political ads.

Get that app dude. Its awesome.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hey thanks! This is fantastic.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Installed it and took a stroll through Europe to see what's on, some station in russia was playing maroon 5 lol.

Definitely a neat app. I couldn't find how to sort out talk stations though. But I'll be playing with it more later.

I did find a cool station not to far from where I am that plays classic radio shows, my grandmother used to listen to those when I was little, my favorite one was "the squeaky door" (that's what I called it at least) it was a twilight zoneish horror theme show. Forgot all about that.
Thanks!

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Yes - I've been listening to Radio Garden for a couple of years now, and really like a station in western Newfoundland.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
I've been a fan of AM and FM radio since the early 80s when Walkmans came out, to listening to local daytime talk radio when I got a job as a medical courier, then finally discovering Art Bell in 1996 in the middle of the night working as a lowly lab tech.

During that time I also dabbled in Short Wave radio because I was fascinated with listening to things from halfway around the world.

Ever since smart phones have been around, I've been able to listen to Pandora Radio and the likes where ever I go. Either on headphones or in the car.

I came across a phone app called Radio Garden. I've been using it endlessly since I downloaded it a few months ago.

What it basically is, is "Google Earth" with land markers where every radio station is broadcasting from. There are thousands and thousands of stations you can listen to. You can also search by music genre or search for talk radio.

I listened to short wave a lot as a kid. I didn't understand the language of most but it was fun. I also listened to WLS out of Chicago late at night when they played "The Shadow" - "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men... The Shadow knows!"

This site is a stunning find, thanks for posting it! The sound is amazing for Internet radio. I browsed a bunch of stations and I'm amazed at how good the technology is now.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Here's a link to it...

radio.garden...

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well I downloaded it thanks a lot
Hope to get some good Japanese jazz music stations going.

I'll show some Russian stations that play some heavy kick ass blues guitar music.

posted on Oct, 12 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Downloading for my Chromebook now. Thanks.

Somebody introduced me to this or something very like it ages ago, I forgot about it.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Great app, thanks for sharing.

However, I would strongly recommend not listening to anything BBC related. Gone are the days of a non biased broadcasting ethos. The BBC are now a propaganda outlet running a protection racket in the UK. 150gbp per year they extort off millions of the population. Their programmes and productions are nothing short of propaganda hit pieces designed to sway the mind of the listener/watcher towards one argument or another.

Not to mention the a whole swathe of the BBC were complicit in covering up some of the most notorious and sick paedophiles of the 20th century.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I'll maybe take a look into this. I've always loved radio too. I actually worked in radio as a DJ back in the early 80's. Prior to that I used to stay up late at night and tune into WLS in Chicago and KFI in LA (two of the last remaining 50,000 watt clear-channel broadcasters).

I think my first introduction to radio as a true art form was watching the movie American Graffiti as a kid. Seeing the revelation of the character Curt Henderson when he meets Wolfman Jack at the lonely radio station out in the desert got me hooked. Who knew at the time that less than a decade later I would be sitting all alone in a radio station at night in the middle of the desert, serving as the on-air talent, the station engineer, the ad guy and the newsman all rolled into one. Ran the whole board myself, and even had to reduce the power on the transmitters at night to comply with FCC laws. I was, and never will be, as famous as Wolfman Jack, but oh well, it was fun.

Speaking of American Graffiti, there's an interesting element of the story they didn't explain in the movie. The idea in the movie was to create this isolated radio station with a popular host. They did that, but what they didn't explain was that DJ's like Wolfman Jack didn't operate from radio stations based in the USA. They operated from Mexican "Border Blaster" stations in Mexico. So Curt could have never driven from Modesto (where the movie was set) to see Wolfman Jack in Acuna, Mexico (across the border from Del Rio, Texas).

Another interesting fact was, Wolfman Jack in real life really did work as a DJ for one of the most famous "border blaster's" of all, XERF AM-1570 (kHz). In fact, this is where he became famous for the on-air personality he became, "Wolfman Jack". You've probably heard the term "Mexican Radio", and the movie American Graffiti captured some of it without most of the viewers even realizing what they were seeing.

I could probably write a book about radio. For some reason AM radio was always my favorite commercial medium. FM was okay, and I worked in FM for a while, but it was a completely different vibe. AM was noisy and drifted in and out. FM was quiet, and didn't have nearly the energetic vibe to it like AM did.

Over the past couple decades I've really gotten into Shortwave radio. I like to try to find distant radio stations around the world, especially ones spewing political propaganda out of places like North Korea, and China, etc. I also like to find 'numbers stations', and there's still a number of them still broadcasting. I like the intrigue associated with those far away stations.

Yeah, I love radio.

Perhaps a little music is in order here....

edit on 10/13/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I feel a hot wind on my shoulder,
I dial it in from south of the border .
I hear the talking of the DJ.
Cant understand, just what does he say?

I'm-on-a Mexican radio.
I'm on a, Mexican Oh Oh, radio.

Flyingclaydisk:
When I occasionally power up the CB base station and get "skip" with a bunch of Mexicans gabbering away, I'll key up with that song. I specifically acquired it for that purpose. Plus I'll add some Spanish insults to see if I get a rise out of those guys down there.
edit on 13-10-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I'll maybe take a look into this.

Just enjoy the app. Or not.

"Maybe"
lmao!
edit on 10/13/2020 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Well I downloaded it thanks a lot
Hope to get some good Japanese jazz music stations going.

I'll show some Russian stations that play some heavy kick ass blues guitar music.

I like the City Pop stations from Japan.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I stream WKHR 91.5 Cleveland when I cook dinner, it's a mix of big band, jazz and swing music.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   
CBS Radio Mystery Theatre...they have a website and you can play the entire series.
a reply to: caterpillage

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I stream WKHR 91.5 Cleveland when I cook dinner, it's a mix of big band, jazz and swing music.

Nice! My dad would have loved this app.

He was a big band and swing type of dude.

Check out some of the NRJ stations. They seem to have very little commercials. I dont know what NRJ stands for, but they have a wide variety of music stations.

posted on Oct, 13 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
I dont know what NRJ stands for, but they have a wide variety of music stations.

It's a homophone for 'energie'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join