It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surfer vanishes in suspected shark attack in Australia...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

A surfer vanished in a suspected shark attack on Friday off the Australian southwest coast, police said.

A surfboard was found at Wylie Bay near the town of Esperance and a search was underway for the man who had been riding it, a police statement.

Or the alternative headline:

Shark has a "surfer special" served at it's dinner table...

Sharks do not attack...they eat.

They live in the ocean, that is where people do not belong, or they become dinner.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritofsoul

Agreed , can't blame the Shark for being a Shark.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yikes..tough to tell if it's shark related. There are a ton of dangers in the ocean...including surfing.
The places with waves are usually that way because they are building up after hitting shallow rocks an jagged corral reefs.
I was surfing out in maui and it was pretty crazy, you need to tuck and roll so your head doesn't slam the rocks, if you can't step off and land on your feet. In other words, you naturally fall towards your head first.

Not remotely accurate statement.
Sharks rarely eat people. Nearly all shark attacks are in merky water.
They see small flash of the bottom of your feet or palms and thing it's a fish.
In clear, open water they generally don't eat things they can't swallow..sans ripping off chunks of dead, rotting whales etc..
Having said that, there are several species with really bad attitudes. They will attack just for being in their hunting area.
Whites, Tigers, Bulls and Hammerheads come to mind.

I was down in the Bahamas and was following a 12 ft Tiger around in a small tender and it turned right for us and "body slammed" the boat almost capsizing it.
Here's a small 6 foot Hammerhead with an attitude..the vid is kinda short...in the full length vid, this behavior continues all the way into shore!

I like to have my speargun and backup diving knife, when I'm doing any kind of diving, free diving, or snorkeling.
...even with statistics of it being rare on my side.🦈
edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Sp

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
When you want to play around in nature sometimes things do not work in your favor, I hope this guy didn't get eaten thats a horrible way to die. I hope his family and friends find him and get some closure.

if we kill all the coral people can surf without fear of the corona virus "I am Joe Biden and I approve this message"

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
the article says someone called emergency saying they saw a shark attack so not looking good for the surfer.......many times a shark makes a mistake and lets go

there were a few unusual cases in this one area where they grabbed and kept grabbing the arm and biting the waist...turned out there was a company in that area taking people diving they wore a bag on their waist with fish...and they would take the fish out and feed the sharks during the rest of the time they kept their arms folded in against their chests.......,.. these sharks were basically trained they went for the arm and the waist

a reply to: Brotherman

edit on 10-10-2020 by research100 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I suppose If there is one thing I Really Really fear it would be Dark Deep Water .

There are things in the Ocean that can grab you and drag you to the depths never to be seen again, hence I keep my ass out of the Ocean for the most part.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Just to give an idea, this separate incident happened October 7th 2020 Sharpes Beach, Ballina.

To close for me.😥

I'd rather pay to surf here 👇👇👇👇👇 Kelly Slater's Surf Ranch in Lamoore, California.

0 shark attacks since it opened.

edit on 10-10-2020 by Bigburgh because: There are more planes in the Ocean, then there are submarines the sky 🙄

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Man, there's so much stuff in Aussieland which is deadly, it will blow your socks off.

Sharks are just sharks, doing what they do. However, you also have the ringed octopus, sea snakes, jellyfish and all manner of other stuff.

To the poster who says "stay out of the water", well, that's fine I guess, but in Australia there's a whole lot of other critters who can get you on land too. Just look at the overland camping vehicles everyone uses there; they're high off the ground. There's a reason!

We have a lot of bad stuff here, out on the high plains of the American west, but Australia has us beat, hands down. Yeah, we have a few snakes which will kill ya, but we have a whole lot of other stuff which will make your life miserable in just a few minutes, most of them small like dangerous ticks and other tiny vermin which invade your body after biting you.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritofsoul
news.yahoo.com...

A surfer vanished in a suspected shark attack on Friday off the Australian southwest coast, police said.

A surfboard was found at Wylie Bay near the town of Esperance and a search was underway for the man who had been riding it, a police statement.

Or the alternative headline:

Shark has a "surfer special" served at it's dinner table...

They live in the ocean, that is where people do not belong, or they become dinner.

You might as well throw a

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I would bet that more people die from jellyfish than from sharks.

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

You're probably right. The nasty Portuguese man-o-war is pretty vicious.
They are everywhere and look like a chewed up piece of purple bubblegum complete with bubble above the water.

A lot of creepy lethal stuff in the ocean.
Cone snails creep me out.
Those and stone fish, which kill a lot of unsuspecting swimmers.
Heebee jeebies

posted on Oct, 10 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

originally posted by: rickymouse

You're probably right. The nasty Portuguese man-o-war is pretty vicious.
They are everywhere and look like a chewed up piece of purple bubblegum complete with bubble above the water.

A lot of creepy lethal stuff in the ocean.
Cone snails creep me out.
Those and stone fish, which kill a lot of unsuspecting swimmers.
Heebee jeebies

I swam in the ocean one time, that was enough. I do not swim in water where fish and other animals want to eat me, and I do not go fishing for fish that want to eat me. I also do not hunt anything that would want me on it's dinner plate.

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   
They on average have 1-2 people killed a year by shark attack. This would bring the number up to 7.

Before this there had been six confirmed deaths from shark bites in Australia in 2020.

Experienced diver Gary Johnson, 57, was killed by a shark near Cull Island in Esperance on Western Australia’s south coast in January.

A shark killed 23-year-old Queensland wildlife ranger, Zachary Robba, in April off North West Island in the southern Great Barrier Reef.

Gold Coast surfer Rob Pedretti, 60, died after he was attacked at Salt Beach at South Kingscliff in northern NSW in June.

In July, a 36-year-old Sunshine Coast man died after being mauled while spearfishing off Queensland’s Fraser Island.

Later the same month, a teenager died while surfing at Wilsons Headland at Wooli Beach off northern NSW.

A 46-year-old Gold Coast man, Nick Slater, died in September after being bitten by a shark while surfing at Greenmount Beach at Coolangatta.

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

if we kill all the coral people can surf without fear of the corona virus "I am Joe Biden and I approve this message"

Get out with your politcs ffs!!!

Its a thread about a shark in Australia

You just cant leave it alone huh?

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 06:07 AM
link   
One time many years ago, I was body surfing in South America, the west coast sunlight passing through very clear waters that day.

A big wave in front of me, it was a wall of water, clear enough to let me see the shape of a shark, about 3 meters long. I know if I was on that wave, I could be attacked.

Man...., I just got out so fast that I felt like waking on the water like Jesus.

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Yep. Every single bloody thread. I wish they’d all bugger off and make ats great again.

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Nope. Entirely accurate. I did not say they target people as food, but if you think they do not eat humans you are silly.

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Again, Sharks do not attack anything, they are predators and it is their natural behavior, the live in the ocean, that is their habitat, humans do not get attacked. It is a ridiculous headline. Surfer disappears, board found wandering aimlessly, so a shark must have attacked the poor unsuspecting surfer...Really?

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
did you read the article??? it said someone witnessed the surfer and shark and called emergency by the time they got there all they found was the board...and yes many times a shark will bite a human by mistake and let go...there are many varieties of sharks

they are doing a lot of tracking what kind of shark was involved what were the conditions that day of the water and the weather when an attack happens

Again, Sharks do not attack anything, they are predators and it is their natural behavior, the live in the ocean, that is their habitat, humans do not get attacked. It is a ridiculous headline. Surfer disappears, board found wandering aimlessly, so a shark must have attacked the poor unsuspecting surfer...Really?

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Uhhh, yes.

new topics

top topics

join