It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quickest Robot developed by Hitachi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hitachi mechanical engineers have managed to develope a Robot as a domestic and personal aid to co exist with people that is able to travel at 6kph.

This makes it the fastest robot developed for such a purpose

Quote from BBC News Website

Hitachi said Pal and Chum(The Robots), which have a vocabulary of about 100 words, could be "trained" for practical office and factory use in as little as five to six years......

...By the end of that year, 4.1 million robots will be doing jobs in homes, said a report by the UN Economic Commission for Europe and the International Federation of Robotics.

Link to BBC News Article

As great a development this would have to the disabled, I think this potentially make our lasy society even more sloathish... how long do you think it would take to develope a robot that could do all tasks that a human could? would you go to work still? would you need to when you can send your robot.

Are there potential ramifications by having robots do jobs that able-bodied humans are capable of doing by themselves?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
That is neat. And I agree something like this would be a godsend for the disabled. Robotics are becoming much smaller and more practical for the household/office.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Haha, im sorry, but that really is laughable. What have they given up on them walking now or something? From the looks of it, the only thing it could be useful for is a doorstop
From the looks of those hands, it cant even pick stuff up, and its what 2ft tall? seriously what possible help could it be, im struggling to think of anything it could do that would actually be useful/helpful. Poor, really poor, its dissapointing because I really thought by now Id be seeing decent attempts at robots.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
Haha, im sorry, but that really is laughable. What have they given up on them walking now or something? From the looks of it, the only thing it could be useful for is a doorstop
From the looks of those hands, it cant even pick stuff up, and its what 2ft tall? seriously what possible help could it be, im struggling to think of anything it could do that would actually be useful/helpful. Poor, really poor, its dissapointing because I really thought by now Id be seeing decent attempts at robots.

Here, maybe you will consider this a 'decent' attempt at a robot.
world.honda.com...

apc

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
4 million...
thats probably 3 million human jobs flushed by another machine. worse yet, these jobs would most likely be low-paying positions occupied by low-income family members, driving those near poverty straight down head first.
the other million would be things like... taking the newspaper to recycling, or applying toilet paper... things the user would have been doing themselves anyway.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
Are there potential ramifications by having robots do jobs that able-bodied humans are capable of doing by themselves?

Just a quick side note. My friend that lives in Jersey recently got fired from his job because the company found a robot that could do his work more efficiently, and of course...cheaper. But granted, this guy works at a fork factory.

Point of the story is, if it were my decision to take the red pill or blue pill. I'll take the red, and send all these robots back to scrap metal heaven.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Yeah id much rather see robots doing a job then outsourcing in india. At least the robots will get it done right.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Yeah id much rather see robots doing a job then outsourcing in india. At least the robots will get it done right.

I still think we're a little way's away from having robot's take tech support calls

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
ROFL! Id still prefer it. Im sure most of you know what its like talking to Indian tech support. At least a robot can be properly programmed to give a correct answer.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Are there any military aplications forsuch a robot?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
As the development of sophisticated robots accelerates, it will reach a point where our current ecconomic systems will no longer work. It will have to be overhauled. If all of the worlds agriculture were performed by robots, do you think the agricultural companies would give out their products free of charge? Not unless they were being compensated in some other way or unless robots were advanced enough to provide everyone with everything they need. Most of these changes will happen slowly so I wouldn't predict an ecconomic collapse per se, but robots will definitely alter the shape of the world economy in the coming years.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
heard the story of the hare and tortoise??

Look out for up coming domestic robots from Sony and Honda.

Brains over brawn

NeoN Haze....

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sarcasimo

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey

Here, maybe you will consider this a 'decent' attempt at a robot.
world.honda.com...

Oh, im well aware of Asimo, but that was a few years ago now, and it what, walked about .1mph? and again 2-3ft tall? like i said i was hoping if this is latest tech for something tht at least looks like progress.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by menolikeyelshrub

Not these R2D2 types, but here are some they are deploying in Iraq.
news.bbc.co.uk...

They are remote controlled though, keeps the operator safe, while killing the bad guys.

No doubt robots in the future will be doing jobs we used to do. But we will still be making the decisions. It is no different than the current economy with outsourcing. We have to take higher level jobs in order to remain employed.

apc

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

We have to take higher level jobs in order to remain employed.

There aren't enough "higher level jobs" for everyone...
It is an unfortunate truth that the vast majority of the working population make less than $10 an hour. What about them? What if they dont have the education? Those pieces of paper that say "Hire me I went to school"... What about their families? It's the same problem we in the US are having with illegal immigration. Migrant workers are willing to work for far less than 'natives', and it is destroying the 'native' lower-middle to lower class. Armies of worker robots would be the final nail...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
hopefully when robots are succesfully incorperated material goods will be super cheap and all people will have to work only a fraction of the time we work now. nice things will be a dime a dozen, life will be sweet.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Robots will eventually take over the world. Id expect to see the poverty level blow up in the next 50 years once robots become more mainstream.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Sure, it may be fast, but I doubt it can take stairs up (surely it could go down them, at least once) or drive on uneven surfaces. Speed is important, but not when it sacrafices the capability to exist in a normal human environment.

Urn

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by menolikeyelshrub

there could be military apications for this type of robot, as long as the proposed target happens to be wheel-chair accessable

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
picard_is_actually_a_grey - If you even glanced at the aticle it says in the very first sentence that it is 4.2 feet tall, giving it the ability reach most of what we can.

I saw a thing on tv about iRobot (the company) and they said that the i,Robot movie was pretty close to reality, they said that by 2025 they would be smart enough and advanced enough that you wont think twice about going to a bar and having a drink with your robot.

I personally like robots, and would love to have one, not any of todays, but maybe in 10 years i will start looking into buying one...it could take car of things that you dont want to do, like take out trash, vacuum, dust, things like that. I know that robots will and allready are taking over several jobs, and there will always be that fear of them taking over all the lower class jobs, i dont think that will happen...but time will tell.

I think the future roll of robots could be what the mexicans do now, work for pennies on the dollar. Which is why i'm all for border patrol getting a bigger budget.

In the future people might have to pick jobs that there is no way a robot can do...like be a scientist.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join