It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Eddie Van Halen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
At 65, Eddie Van Halen has left the planet. The cancer in his throat spread to his brain and other organs.

The man changed the landscape of rock guitar for years to come, not just with his playing, but with his constant desire to tweak guitars and amps. Because of him, guys like me have gotten to reap the benefits of that desire.

I didn’t discover Van Halen until I was 12, in 1995. VH had just released Balance and though I knew very well who VH was (my whole family are fans) it was the first time I really could tell what was special about Ed. I had been playing guitar for maybe a year at that point and immediately started digging into everything and anything EVH.

RIP to the guy who influenced and inspired millions of guitarist to go from the tennis racket to the guitar. Thank you for all your contributions.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

RIP to the guy who influenced and inspired millions of guitarist to go from the tennis racket to the guitar. Thank you for all your contributions.

I'm a flamenco player. Never was a rock guitar guy. But Van Halen is required study material.

Rest in Peace, Eddie Van Halen.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

wow I haven't seen this yet,his passing anyways.. another reason I come here before most places..

Feels weird there were so many when you look that I grew up with.. R.I.P.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I'm a flamenco player. Never was a rock guitar guy. But Van Halen is required study material.

Rest in Peace, Eddie Van Halen.

When Eddie and Alex were kids. Eddie had the drum set and Alex had a Flamenco guitar. Eddie said he was getting upset that Alex played the drums while Eddie was out delivering news papers. So Eddie took Alex's Flamenco guitar and the rest is history.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Damn.

Dime will be glad to see you though

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   

As a 9 year old when the album Jump came out, I was blown away.
As an 11 year old, I always wished I could be Eddie Van Halen and got my first guitar.
Now as a 45 year old musician...I am very sad.
I learned how to tap and not give a crap about what the guitar looked like....I just needed to know how to play it.

I am VERY sad right now.

I just saw all the tributes to him by many other musicians and am glad people recognized his genius.
ottawasun.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Posted a bit earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

CLOSED

top topics

join