It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thirteen Scientific Mysteries - Interesting Summary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This article from New Scientist magazine summarizes thirteen of the greatest mysteries in science. It includes the Wow signal, the Pioneer anomaly (which I once started a thread about on ATS), the Tenth Planet (in the form of the Kuiper cliff mystery), and issues regarding methane on Mars:

www.newscientist.com...

Since it touches on a lot of what we talk about here I figured that ATSers might enjoy the piece.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Thank you very for the very interesting article.

But there is one thing I don't is accurate.

6 Viking's methane

JULY 20, 1976. Gilbert Levin is on the edge of his seat. Millions of kilometres away on Mars, the Viking landers have scooped up some soil and mixed it with carbon-14-labelled nutrients. The mission's scientists have all agreed that if Levin's instruments on board the landers detect emissions of carbon-14-containing methane from the soil, then there must be life on Mars.

Viking reports a positive result. Something is ingesting the nutrients, metabolising them, and then belching out gas laced with carbon-14.

Don't quote me, but I remember my Astro prof telling me that the C-14 actually came from the landers when they landed and that this was proven.

Maybe that is another lander, but pretty sure it was Mars.

Surf

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Pretty interesting read. Haven't been able to research all of them yet, but thanks for posting the article in here.

new topics

join