It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KC-130 and fighter down in California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A Marine KC-130, BuNo 166765, belonging to VMGR-352, made an emergency landing in a farmer's field near a small airport south of Coachella, CA and another aircraft crashed at the same time. It appears there was a midair during refueling. The second aircraft appears to be a two seat F-18, with two chutes reported. According to media reports both crew were found, but no word on their condition.

patch.com...

www.latimes.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Electronic warfare?? Or the usual "consequences of too many flight hours and not enough maintenance in between" ... a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm betting the latter.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Media is now reporting that MCAS Yuma has confirmed it was an F-35B, with one pilot.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Just a "normal" training accident. Refueling is one of the hardest events to pull off when it comes to flying, especially when you're talking probe and drogue from a KC-130.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wait, was there 2 fighters and a c130?

Per the Patch article you linked...

The F-35B combat aircraft "made contact" with a KC-130J tanker around 4 p.m. during air-to-air refueling, resulting in the crash of the F-35B, according to a statement from the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing.

The F-35B pilot ejected and was being treated.

Disregard I see your correction.

I'm watching a c130 circling and mercy air in the area now.

Everyone is ok

edit on 29-9-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Martin Baker puts a chute on the seat as well. That would explain the second chute.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Didn't know that, thanks

Everyone walked away and the C-130 looks to of had a good landing. Looks intact.

Could have been much.... everybody walked away.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The crew of this C-130 were both damn good pilots, and lucky as hell.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Don't worry, the taxpayers are good for it.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
Don't worry, the taxpayers are good for it.

I am a retired USAF Master Sergeant, and I spent most of my career on the flight-line... fixing airplanes.

NO mishap is overlooked. ALL are investigated.

This incident will be investigated as well.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

I'm hoping they include a transcript from the cockpit when the report is released. The Navy generally only releases statements about their accidents though. This was a textbook example of what you can do with a crew that is working well together. That C-130 was damn lucky to be sitting in a field in the condition it's in, and none of the people on board injured.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Jesus, it was worse than I thought. They had one prop left intact. I don't even know how they lost the blade on the #1 prop.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I see long investigations and a ton of debriefs for the crews in the near future. That C130 crew coordination seemed to be on point. Pilots are excellent.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Jesus, it was worse than I thought. They had one prop left intact. I don't even know how they lost the blade on the #1 prop.

Oooof, looks like they're draining fuel. Least they could have done was place a catch all under that left wing before ruining that farmers good soil.😮😥

Understandably though, they will dismantle the wings before getting the fuselage onto a flatbed semi. Fuel is going to be removed anyway.
edit on 29-9-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   

That's where the refueling tank hangs. The tank came off, probably on impact, and started leaking. The missing blade on the left side might have come off on impact as well.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Air Traffic Control Audio of the incident

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Well if your green beans taste like JP-8 this time next year, thank Uncle Sam.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I bet the pilots are experienced civilian backcountry off strip pilots, they landed WITH the row crops! Can’t get any better than that!

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Could have been much.... everybody walked away.

YA! Excellent news!

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
www.instagram.com...

F-35 crash on Instagram.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join