It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coup d' Etat took place in Damascus last night.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Want to share the details? Thank you-

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
more hints of any coup showing up

www.reason.com...
Syria now faces both nonviolent and violent upheaval from its Kurdish minority. (This received some western attention a year ago, after a soccer riot in Qamishli set off protests and crackdowns in several Syrian cities.) The country has also seen occasional displays of displeasure from its Arab citizens, and there are hopes that the crisis in Lebanon will fell the regime in Damascus as well. For the moment, though, few expect a full-fledged people-power revolt. "The City's air is rife with all sorts of untoward rumors," the Damascus-based blogger Ammar Abdulhamid wrote last week; "everything is now possible: there is talk of arrests, purges, coup d'états, assassinations, sanctions, invasions, anything and everything, except, of course, freedom. Everything is possible except freedom."

Here Is a syiran bloggers reports

Rumors, Facts and Heresies!
The City’s air is rife with all sorts of untoward rumors, everything is now possible: there is talk of arrests, purges, coup d’états, assassinations, sanctions, invasions, anything and everything, except, of course, freedom. Everything is possible except freedom. Freedom is never mentioned. Freedom never comes to mind. Freedom remains a distant dream.

Notice tho that his is march 4th. Apparently there are lots of rumours going around. That in itself is dangerous for the Syrian government. The rumours can become self fufiling, understand?

another site
No senior Syrians will admit that no one is
completely in control in Syria. It is feared that there may be
a coup, as some of the senior generals and security officials
push Bashar Assad aside and take over. Bashar is seen by his
father's old timers as too inexperienced

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalDisorder
I know it sounds contradictrary ( not good speller ) but thats what he's telling me..

It doesn't sound contradictory. From what I understand there have been lots of rumours of this sort of thing happening. Perhaps its a lot of hysteria over there right now.

But, again, is it confirmed that Assad fled the Capitol and is in Aleppo? Forgive me for beign dense if its already been covered

edit to add

the only thing that is making me wary of this actually happening is that the newsgroups for syria and lebanon aren't showing any activity on the matter. I can't imagine that the syrian intelligence forces are that powerful.

So its either prefectly correct or its a lot of chaos in an atmosphere wherein everyone fears a coup (thus fear feeds rumour and rumour reinforces fear, etc etc)

[edit on 17-3-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I dont think anyone knows, MY guy doesnt know..
The only thing suggesting he has is the website from the original post.

In my last conversation with my syrian friend,
he told me that Jordanian TV just reported details of such a thing happening,
he quickly ended the conversation saying he had to go prepare.

Hasnt been back since.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by GlobalDisorder]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Ok good so we can keep that as it is, only reported in a single website.

I hope your friend stays well as do the other people in syria. The west and syria are at odds now, and surely things are dangerous, nevertheless the people on either side can be concerned for one another, so again i hope he and his are well.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
someone should email the info to a new place and ask if it is credible

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
www.discardedlies.com...

is also discussing it and I have asked them some questions about the sources.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
There is no news about this anywhere im not sure i believe it

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I am still finding this hard to believe and wondering if it is true, why there has not even been mention of it on any news source internationally. If this is true, news sources would be all over it. It doesn't matter whether they are keeping a tight control on media etc. There are many many news sources from many agencies in Damascus, especially with all that has been going on lately.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There aren't any foreign news services with outlets in Damascus, to my knowledge. There are tons with outlets in Lebanon, but that's a different story...

It seems unbelievable, but I think it's really happening.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
one thing to remember is that Assads Alwaite Clan runs everything in SYria esp. the military. However, he is not the man his father was by a long shot.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
I am still finding this hard to believe and wondering if it is true, why there has not even been mention of it on any news source internationally. If this is true, news sources would be all over it. It doesn't matter whether they are keeping a tight control on media etc. There are many many news sources from many agencies in Damascus, especially with all that has been going on lately.

After reading the information I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, and there are either two reasons why it hasn't reached CNN yet...

1. It isn't true, just a hoax designed to spit the populous and acheive some kind of political objective
  2. The big boys at the Pentagon have put a clamp down on media coverage, not allowing things to air etc - for some strategic purpose... (Maybe to keep their nose clean? *shrugs*)

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Okay, I basically just debunked it: www.publiuspundit.com...

I contacted two people there. Both of them are bloggers inside Damascus, one of which is connected to the embassy. It's all fine. I'm relieved, because if a coup had occurred, it would have been from the military sect that was anti-lebanon withdrawal. Which could have posed problems.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Crisis averted. Sounds like things are probably tense in syria, but there doesn't seem to be anything that can confirm a coup or anything free-lebanon is reporting.

I do think its entirely possible for something like this to occur and not be picked up by the major media outlets tho. Indeed, why should it be public? The protagonists don't have to be making speeches to the people are fighting in the open. Regardless tho, it was stated that assad was in aleppo, which can't be confirmed, and that there were strikes on targets outside damascus itself, which, apparently, have gone completely unnoticed.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Exactly. If it was secret, political infighting, it might be more reasonable to believe that the media hadn't picked up on it. With the current swarm of foreign journalists in the area, though, a bomb strike would certainly have been witnessed.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
While I agree it seems that LFG is standing by its word. If you read the last post to Publius Pundit the author claims to be the LFG administrator or at least the person to have posted the story. I dont get why the person has yet to respond to inquiries from their own discussion board though.

Comment reads-

#

The last update on the LFP is not a backpedaling move . I am not deying nor retracting anything I posted.

Neither I am spreading any hoax or rumours for any intentional reason. We received these info from a “reliable” source there. We posted it.

I suggest to give it a little bid of time so we can receive more info and verify few things.

If the shooting didn’t started yet or Joshua Landis was invited at a dinner party with the Military Attache there without a bulletproof vest doesn’t mean that the situation is “normal” within the Syrian Regime.

There are things happening they are not aware and the Baath Regime is not going to tell a US journalist nor brief the Embassy and the CIA station there what is going on within .

We are expected to receive additional information soon, we will publish it .

We believe our “sources” are good and never betrayed us before…

and the situation is not “normal there, maybe the traffic, yes.

There are things in the making, far from any “imaginary” senarios.

With all due respect,

Comment by Nagi Najjar — 3/17/2005 @ 5:49 pm

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by psoccer55
Comment reads-

The last update on the LFP is not a backpedaling move . I am not deying nor retracting anything I posted.

Hardly relevant. They went from 'there's bombings and assas is on the run' to 'well, nothing is happening, and evrything is tense'

It went from 'there's a coup' to 'things aren' nice'.

They can say what they want, but no one is able to confirm this stuff, and they haven't said what their sources are. Its interesting, but its all pretty meaningless right now.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
relayed to me via usenet

World Tribune
Syria's military increased deployment around Damascus due to tension within the regime. The opposition Lebanese Foundation for Peace said the Syrian military has undergone a split, with a rebel faction having taken control over parts of the capital, Middle East Newsline reported.
The rebel faction was said to be led by Syrian Interior Minister Ghazi Kanaan and Firas Tlas, the son of former Defense Minister Mustapha Tlas. The sources said this group, which included Syrian intelligence chief in Lebanon, Maj. Gen. Rustom Ghazaleh and Maj. Gen. Ali Madi, has rebelled against Assad's decision to withdraw from Lebanon.

The opposition Lebanese Foundation for Peace is the free-lebanon people. I don't know much about World Tribune, they are noting that whats being said is unconfirmed. I don't know if the free-lebanon people contactde them, or if one of them picked this news up and printed it without contacting them.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
So it didn't happen...

I do agree that is entirely possible, because correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there basically a 50:50 split across the nation... Those who are pro-Lebanese and those who are anti-Lebanese in regards to occupation.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
perhaps the popular split isn't so important as the ruling elite's split.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join