It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coup d' Etat took place in Damascus last night.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ok you all, here is another one for you. I dont think this is good news.

A Coup d' Etat took place in Damascus late last night. Intelligence reports coming from within the Syrian Military Command indicate the following:

www.free-lebanon.com...

A rebellion split The Syrian Army in two factions .

Since yesterday , Damascus is under the de facto control of the Syrian Army, under the command of Syrian Interior Minister Ghazi Kanaan, and supported by Syrian Intelligence General Rustom Ghazaleh, Syrian military General Ali Safi, and Firas Tlass son of former Minister of Defence, Mustafa Tlass. The group rebelled against the decision of President Bashar el Assad to withdraw from Lebanon and seized the Damascus military yesterday.

If the military is in control of Syria, things will remain the same and or worse. And if Assad has been ousted this means war in Lebanon and possibly Israel. I will look for more info on this topic..

Not very good news at all.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think there could be a silver lining here. There are enough people in Lebanon (with some help from you know who) to oust any Syrian troops there if need be. And with an unsettled homeland, I can imagine the Syrian forces in Lebanon wont be able to stand up very long.

I think this would be an opportunity to free Lebanon with relative ease. Who knows, maybe even Syria will errupt into civil war and take care of themselves as a terrorist threat.

I bet there are some Bushies in washington right now salivating over this...

[edit on 16-3-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will be till there is offical verification of this.

From the link you've posted it sounds as if there's a pretty tight control on information...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
President Bashar el Assad has always been in a dangerous situation, there are many elements of the Syrian government that are actively trying to undermine what he does. Remember he was not supposed to be the succesor to his father, that honor was to be his brother Basil. When Basil was killed in an accident, Bashar, who was studying to be an ophthalmologist, was thrown into the limelight. From what I have read, Bashar started by trying to remove corruption from the military and intelligence, and several were given prison terms. I imagine there are many elements in the Syrian government that are not happy with Bashar and prefer the policies of his father. Perhaps reforming Syria does not involve military action, but to support the London educated Bashar in his efforts to weed out those who follow the old line policies. Just a thought

By the way, one of Bashars' favorite hobbies? Surfing the Internet! Who knows He may be here

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Whoa, hold up. The King and Parliament have been overthrown and the military has taken over? Is anyone else reporting this? HOw did free-lebanon.com find this out, how do they have sources that no one else does?

The page notes that the people who have overthrown the government are anti-assad forces, that assad ordered the harriri assasination himself. But it also notes that the rebels are against withdrawl.
the site currently adds:

Most of the military Barracks of the Syrian Army around Damascus gave allegiance to the dissidents: Syrian Interior Minister Ghazi Kanaan and General Ali Safi.

Khan

Kahn is also supposedly mentioned here, but I haven't been able to review it.

It is known that President Bashar Assad is in the city of Alleppo

Dear god he's abandoned the Capitol?

I don't know if I buy this. Why throw him out? Better to keep him as a figurehead, especially if this Kahn guy is as much of a bad ass as they are making him out to be.

March 8th is apparently a holiday in Syria celebrating some revolution.

The discussion board of that free-lebanon site notes that people there are also very surprised.

This is just whacked. It reads somewhat like what might start happening, with Rifaat returning to gain control and Bashar in aleppo durign a coup. Tho perhaps it is not so strange since Raafit apparently lead an attempted coup in the past.

Here is something more current and very interesting.
I realize that this may be a very taboo subject, but what would Dr. Pipes say about Rifaat al-Assad replacing Bashar in a US or Israeli-led coup? A response to this comment would be quite informative to us all.

For the record note:

free-lebanon.com
Registrant: Make this info private
Lebanese Foundation for Peace (24473289O)
WEST PALM BEACH, FL 33417
US
Phone: 999 999 9999
Fax: 999 999 9999

Domain Name: FREE-LEBANON.COM

Administrative Contact :
Khoury, Nabil
(NKP70)
[email protected]

WEST PALM BEACH, FL 33417
US

Technical Contact :
ValueWeb,
(HOS237-ORG)
[email protected]
Ft Lauderdale, FL 33309
US

Obviously this doesn';t mean too much, but I question again, how does this site, based in teh US, with perhaps some associates in lebanon, know more than, say, fox or cnn or ap or reuters?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Its amazing that no 'western media' is reporting on this yet.

After speaking with several people from Syria, and 3 from Damascus itself, they reiterated that there are missles and batteries placed all through damascus at the moment, and one even said chemical rockets have been deployed.

Asked why he think Assad didnt put up a fight he replied
'' the syrian people don't care for that man''
'' we're using groups like Hisb Alah to protect ourselves''

does anyone have ANY other sites with any info on this?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I can't believe there's only one source...

Usually when a coup goes down, the media are all over it...

Maybe it's a misdirection, a lie for Westerners to eat up while we invade?

Well timed considering the carrier groups should be arriving any day now.

More information on this would be welcome, is there a media blackout or something?

CHEMICAL ROCKETS?????

Oh crap...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalDisorder
Asked why he think Assad didnt put up a fight he replied
'' the syrian people don't care for that man''
'' we're using groups like Hisb Alah to protect ourselves'

So they are confirming that this is occuring?

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Yes, they have all said something happened, and that there are troops and so forth throughout damascus at the moment.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
No other news carriers are reporting on this story, I just did a quick check.

If this is happening, why isn't anyone talking about it?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
CHEMICAL ROCKETS?????

Oh crap...

Are you suggesting that GlobalDisorder's people in syria are western propagandists?

The thought of a coup occuring but not being reported is not unthinkable. How many media outlets have reporters in damascus right now? How unrestricted are they?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This is incredible Globaldisorder.

Can you tell us what they have specifically reported? I hate to be a bother but this absolutely incredible. THey have confirmed that Assad feld? Do they know who is in charge of the coup, do they get an impression of impending chaos, or do they think things are going to be alright?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Assad fled to his hideout in Appelo, and he is ammassing special forces to retake the city. It seems as though this is happening, and since Syria strictly controls the access of foreign journalists, the fact that western media is in the dark is not unthinkable.

Of course, it could just be a ploy by the west to justify a full scale attack on Damascus.

We'll see what develops over the course of the night.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
He's becoming very difficult to get answers out of..
Saying the situation is very difficult at the moment.

I asked how he knows the rockets are chemical,
he simpyl replied they are stinger rockets with SARIN markings on them.

There wasnt any major explosions or gun battles,
just that there are alot of Troops around the capital at the moment, and missle's deployed.

I asked him if there is news of a coo he said no, aljazeerah ( or what ever )
arent reporting anything, and nothing has happened today of significant value, accept for troops and missles throughout damascus, he believes something is happening being the military presence throughout the capitol.

I told him to go make some phone calls, and get back to me..

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
sorry for the multi posting

here are some webcams inside of syria, there are very few.

edited to delete damascus virginia web cam. doh!

[edit on 17-3-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalDisorder
I told him to go make some phone calls, and get back to me

Ok, I don't understand. You siad that the people had said the Basahr had 'run', what is he running from? YOu mean that he is running out of lebanon? Or that he is running to Aleppo, which is what this other site is reporting?

And your friend is saying that there is no word of a coup, but that there is unusual military activity, correct?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well I would'nt consider "free-Lebanon" as an iron clad source of news, but it does look like Syria is starting to crack. I would like Syria to be the next domino to fall.....Iran next.

Maximu§

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I know it sounds contradictrary ( not good speller ) but thats what he's telling me..

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
JORDAN TV HAS JUST REPORTED DETAILS ABOUT IT

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
sorry for the multi posting

here are some webcams inside of syria, there are very few.

www.vacreepertrail.com...

Eh ... the last one is from North Carolina, USA.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join