It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WI Proposes Tax On Downloads (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wisconsin is getting ready to begin taxing downlads through the internet. In a very unpopular budget proposal, the new proposed taxes, which may are calling "the ipod' tax, will include downloads of music, art, and books.
Alot of people are watching Wisconsin, and the opposition to this proposal has given to rise to a growing controversy surrounding the issue. As with any State led initiatives, this seems to be a testing ground for both sides of the issue.

www.madison.com
MILWAUKEE (AP) - Wisconsin residents would have to pay the state sales tax on goods they download from the Internet, including songs, books and movies, under Gov. Jim Doyle's budget, costing them an estimated $3.2 million over the next two years.

State Rep. Scott Jensen, R-Waukesha, complained Monday that the move contradicted Doyle's pledge to balance the budget without raising taxes.

"The next time you download the latest song from U2 for 99 cents, the governor wants to charge you the sales tax," Jensen said in a release. "It's enough to give iPod users a case of 'vertigo,'" in reference to the group's hit song.

In his example, the sales tax would be about 5 cents...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Once we allow open taxation of the internet, regulation isn't going to be far behind. Since the internet has become an international sensation, it has become increasingly difficult to control and regulate, and I think the proposed taxation of the internet is merely a "Plan B", and once the proposed taxes are in place, regulation and oversight of individual internet usage will be the next phase.
Take a look at some of the widespread inplications of this tax in some other states...
www.heartland.org...

Related News Links:
news.com.com
www.geek.com
www.cbronline.com
www.zdnet.com.au

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This makes me sick, isnt there at least one place that can be free from intrusion by the gov i hope this fails miserably

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Didn't congress or the Supreme Court recently decide that the internet cannot be taxed?. I find it would be impossible for a state or the fed to collect taxes. it will be up to ipod or who ever to collect and dispearse taxes based by state. This will of course lead to price increases. The states will of course argue that they are losing money due to the internet. To bad. It is time for all governments to learn to live on what they make like the rest of us do.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
In my opinion, this is merely Plan B, and regulation isn't going to be far behind. That is the usual pattern, they tax it, then regulate it. Who knows, the IRS might be on your next network router, and your next ISP might be .GOV. It's comming, I'm afraid. The internet was the first time in human history that there was open communication, and unlimited access to information, and they just can't have that. I really don't think that any governmental system could maintain integrity when the constiuents are allowed an open exchange of information like the net, because governmental institutions are inherently corrupt.. With the recent consolidation of the major media, the net is last bastion of open communication, and I think it is scaring our government to death. It was too good to last.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
If a bill like that passes that ever effects me, I will simply avoid downloading anything.

They also need to pay attention here to illegal Dl's. Its already nearly impossible to police them as it is, imagine what will happen if they start taxing the legal stuff. It will spawn illegal DL's like we could only imagine.

They really need to stay away from taxing this sort of stuff, the people simply dont want it.

new topics

top topics

join