It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Reservoir of Liquid Water Found Deep Below the Surface of Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
On my cell so bare with me but I think some will appreciate this information. Italian scientists have announced what they think is a system of lakes and streams under the surface of Mars.

"Far beneath the frigid surface of the South Pole of Mars is probably the last place where you might expect the first large body of martian liquid water would be found. It’s -170 F on the surface, there are no known geothermal sources that could warm the subterranean ice to make a meltwater lake, and the liquid water is calculated to be more than a mile below the surface.

Yet signs of that liquid water are what a team of Italian scientists detected — a finding that they say strongly suggests that there are other underground lakes and streams below the surface of Mars. In a Science journal article released today, the scientists described the subterranean lake they found as being about 20 kilometers in diameter."

Isn't it exciting!? Now the possibility for life on Mars, or rather, "in" Mars just increased exponentially! Or the possibility for sustaining human life just increased exponentially!! What say you, ATS?

astrobiology.nasa.gov...
edit on Mon Sep 28 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX tags added

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If we are talking about just studying and learning about Mars it's fascinating stuff to be sure.

A mile below the surface means 5280 feet in pipe and drilling equipment to access it,no feasible way to get enough tools and equipment to make it useful for a long term base or occupation. Water, air and shelter from solar radiation are 3 things that must be answered for long term Mars projects, we are closer to sending completely autonomous robots and materials, over and over than accessing the vital needs for human base. Most of what might work is within our capabilities but it's going to extraordinarily expensive. I'm thinking a full time base on the moon, if nothing else to practice and prepare for potential Mars base effort. Have no idea how that budget would get approved in today's political climate.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

How would there be a stream without rain?

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

I see your point, I'd guess it would be between two underground lakes running through a fissure. I am fascinated by Mars somenights I just watch the cam on youtube till I fall asleep
edit on 28-9-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

I see your point, I'd guess it would be between two underground lakes running through a fissure. I am fascinated by Mars somenights I just watch the cam on youtube till I fall asleep

You were there before it became uninhabitable.

Looks like the leaders of our world — will ensure the same demise.

S & F

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

originally posted by: putnam6

You were there before it became uninhabitable.

Looks like the leaders of our world — will ensure the same demise.

S & F

I hope not but it sure feels like a possibility.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

It is now in a closed system. It's from rain long ago.

All the good stuff is underground on Mars. Someone just needs to get down there and see.

There will be no looking back after that. It will be like the gold rush on steroids.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   

S&F sorry I should have seen this posted millions before I posted mine. Exciting times.... jesus they need to try and get access and test the water.... it's been said any water on Mars would contain a significantly high level of salt....

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

A mile below the surface means 5280 feet in pipe and drilling equipment to access it,no feasible way to get enough tools and equipment to make it useful for a long term base or occupation.

They are not looking at these lakes as water supplies.

There are places on Mars with lots of water right under your feet.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

S&F sorry I should have seen this posted millions before I posted mine. Exciting times.... jesus they need to try and get access and test the water.... it's been said any water on Mars would contain a significantly high level of salt....

NASA with it's Planetary Protection, is sure to say that water is off limits.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Which I guess would be admirable but surely we can get some in a secure manner...

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

It's ok. I think i beat you to it by a few seconds. Lol It's very exciting, nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Tidal bucking. The friction will melt the ice into water.
The water seeps down until it can't and pools.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Or Alien.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

but surely we can get some in a secure manner...

Not any time soon.

The rover can't even drive over and look at slope streaks. They don't want to contaminate Mars.

It would suck to discover life on Mars and then find out it was brought from earth.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The water that's where the
animals are. Highly evolved
people.

Anywhere there is water there is
life even life not depending on the sun.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Look I'm probably being extremely ignorant here but I always thought the rover would be sterile by default given the exposure to the outside dead radiation ridden martian environment.... why would bacteria be floating around or on the rover during all that time? I've heard of tough creatures but uncertain as to the extent they'd survive outside earth environment....

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDidHappen
The water that's where the
animals are. Highly evolved
people.

Anywhere there is water there is
life even life not depending on the sun.

I agree. Where there's water, there's life. I would not be surprised to learn that there are beings underground on Mars.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I forget the details, there was a problem with sterilizing the rover. Some drill bits didn't get sterilized or something like that. You can never kill all the bugs anyway.

There is life growing on the outside of the space station.

“Bacteria that had not been there during the launch of the ISS module were found on the swabs,” Mr Shkaplerov told TASS. “So they have flown from somewhere in space and settled on the outside hull.”

He made clear that "it seems, there is no danger​", and that scientists are doing more work to find out what they are.

He said also that similar missions had found bacteria that could survive temperatures between -150 degrees celsius and 150. That bacteria appears to have made its way from Earth – but suggests that it can survive in the harsh environments of space.

Bacteria found on International Space Station may be alien in origin, says cosmonaut

edit on 28-9-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Why is this surprising? We have know Mars has Humidity above 90% during the day for quite some time. Is it because it's found at a freezing pole?

this article is over 2 years old and discusses what I am speaking of.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join