It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Space Station Circuit Breaker Again Fails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
A circuit breaker on the international space station (ISS) has failed for the second time in a year. This caused the shutting down one of the gyroscopes that is needed to keep the orbiting outpost steady and pointed in the right direction. The circuit breaker was brand new and it was put in the international space station last summer.

news.yahoo.com
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - For the second time in just under a year, a circuit breaker failed on the international space station Wednesday, shutting down one of the gyroscopes needed to keep the orbiting outpost steady and pointed in the right position.

The circuit breaker was a new one put in by spacewalking astronauts last summer.

In a repeat from one year ago, the latest failure left the space station with only two functioning gyroscopes, the bare minimum needed for control, NASA said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Despite this breakdown, the international space station continued to orbit safely and smoothly. A problem like this could affect NASA's plans to launch Discovery to the station in mid-May. This is a great reason as to why this problem should be fixed very soon.

Another possibility is that Russian thrusters could also be used to steer the station, but they use precious fuel.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Who was the supplier?

...Please don't say Halliburton.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I swear, I could build a better space station out of old Soviet parts, and electronics from Tower Hobbies.

I understand space engineering isn't simple, but it is consistent-and most of these issues have been resolved in the past.

What needs to be considered, though, is the ISS is a prototype. We need to learn from issues and build a better one. there may be materials or technique issues that were unforseen, and we oughta figure out why this happens, and improve the next one.

Sadly, everyone's too short sighted to see the need for another outpost.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Who was the supplier?

...Please don't say Halliburton.

that is a good question...

do you know the answer???

if you find it, please share...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It kind of makes me wonder just what we are getting for our money. NASA's here lately having problems with these gyro.'s I have one on my heli. that only cost $150. I'd like to sell it to them for say 3555% above cost. I'd call my Co. Hellovadeal Inc.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
International Space Station my eye! Could for once something not be run by us so we could pass the blame onto some part from some obscure soviet state that ends in -stan

top topics

join