It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Met Jesse Jackson at the Airport...Pleasantly Suprised

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Last night, I took my wife and children to Chicago O'Hare Airport, for their annual return to Germany for vacation.

It was a late flight (9:15pm), and I knew we should be there 2 hours earlier, to check in, and go through security. After check in, We proceeded to the security lane, which to my surprise, was basically deserted. With one exception: a tall fellow in a overcoat, standing with his back to us.

As we got closer, this gentlemen turned around, and who was it?

That's right: Jesse Jackson himself.

I thought: This couldn't be: no cameras around; no entourage; just Jesse and one bodyguard( I assume) , who stood about 15 feet away.

We locked eyes, and then I appoached him, with my wife and kids.
"Mr. Jackson, it is a pleasure to meet you!"
"thank You", he said, " How old is your baby here?"
" 1 1/2 years", I replied
" Where are you from, son?" he asked
"Brookfield, sir" I replied, still in a rather state of shock.
" Who is he?", my nine year old asked.
"That's the guy on who's on T.V. all the time", my wife replied.
(A look of embarassment from Jesse. My wife is from Germany for what is worth, heh)
" He marched with DR. Martin Luther King, Jr.", I told my daughter, " You remember him from school?"
" Yes", she said"
" Well, Mr. Jackson, I don't want to hold you up. Nice to meet you sir, and keep up the good work"
"Nice to meet you too, son" he said.

I was in too much of a shock to say anymore. Even though I agree with only about 60% of what he stands for, He did march with King. He did go to jail for his beliefs, and he did free the American soldiers from Serbia.

But what I noticed the most, is that when there are no cameras around, even people in the spotlight are just everyday normal Moe's, like you and me.

peace

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What stands out most from your post, is the amount of respect you gave Mr Jackson. So many people today forget what some of these icons have added to our society. Good job!!

I sold Paul Tsongas a pair of shorts once. He wasnt nearly as impressive as Jesse it seems

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Impressive. All the celebrities I've met seem pretty normal, too. My list is short, though.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I grew up just a few blocks from the Kennedy compound on Cape Cod. And let me tell you, I would trade EVERY experience with a Kennedy to meet Jesse Jackson just once.

I could tell stories for hours. I used to string tennis racquets as a teenager and strung racquets for most of them at one point or another. Lets just say most of them weren’t all that friendly. And I say it that way with great restraint!

(I will say Sergeant Shriver was a good guy, just a little nuts)

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Does the "good work" you thanked Jesse Jackson for include his use of extortion to get money for his lavish lifestyle?

Unfortunately, Jackson's standard operating procedure is to go to a target company and threaten them with boycotts unless they agree to 'provide funding' for his operations which included paying his living expenses (and apparantly those of his mistress and child born out of wedlock).

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
It would certainly be interesting to drink 'Best Pixyland' with Jesse Jackson - Whatever people think of him, he will certainly be remembered in the future.

new topics

top topics

join