It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for leftists: How do you feel about being lied to about Trump's taxes?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: Bluntone22

The thing that amazes me is the idea that if trump was actually cheating on his taxes that he would be dumb enough to place any evidence on his returns.

It’s not tax fraud people wanted to see his tax returns for. It’s to see how little he paid in taxes over the years.

And despite what people like the OP scream at the top of their lungs, it turns out it’s exactly what everyone thought. The OP obviously completely misunderstands everything he’s arguing against, as usual. You guys make up a version of events that’s easy for you to punch at and just wail with it.

It’s comical.

Still voting Trump.
How are you going to make it another 4 years?

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Now THIS is shameful!

WASHINGTON -- Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden and his wife gave an average of $369 a year to charity during the past decade, his tax records show.
Source: abcnews.go.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: EnigmaChaser
Does anyone here know the real reason corporations, run properly, don’t pay taxes - either at all or to speak of?

Hint, it’s not nefarious.

Congress wrote the broad U.S. tax law.

Congress is composed of Lawyers.

Lawyers protect corporations and the self-employed.

Maybe, but again... this isn’t a nefarious reason.

Paying tax to the Federal Government is a Nono in the business world. Why? Every dollar you spend in tax is a dollar you didn’t spend growing your business. So, corporations do what they can to spend a bunch of money to increase expenses and thus offset their tax bill from profits.

Said another way, they put that money back into the business and not into the government coffers.

Is that bad? Not really. Think of it this way... if you’re a corporation and you’re facing a 20 million dollar tax bill and instead pump that 20mm into your business in the form of capital expenditures or otherwise, that money changes hands into the coffers of another business or a private citizen.

By the time that money continues to move along through the system, some of it gets hit with sales tax, some gets hit with payroll tax, some gets taxed because some of that big chunk of money went to a smaller business that doesn’t have enough capital to make capital expenditures.

So, yeah - the government does get tax revenue. It just doesn’t come from the “evil corporation”. This is a good thing, in my view as I’d much rather have a business spending money with other businesses or private citizen than hand that money over to the Feds.

Again, this isn’t nefarious. And it isn’t like the Feds don’t get theirs - it just isn’t sucked directly out of the pockets of the corporation.

Edit: this is why companies have private jets. Huge expense write off. So you can have on-demand private business travel via a jet or two or you can give that money to the Feds. Thus, your private jet industry.
edit on 27-9-2020 by EnigmaChaser because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Does his Maralago club making over 100 million from his over 30 golf trips count?

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   

The thing that amazes me is the idea that if trump was actually cheating on his taxes that he would be dumb enough to place any evidence on his returns.

It’s not tax fraud people wanted to see his tax returns for. It’s to see how little he paid in taxes over the years.

And despite what people like the OP scream at the top of their lungs, it turns out it’s exactly what everyone thought. The OP obviously completely misunderstands everything he’s arguing against, as usual. You guys make up a version of events that’s easy for you to punch at and just wail with it.

It’s comical.

Can you ever post honestly?

Nobody around here believed his tax returns would show connections to Russia?

The media didn't tease you guys with that?

Nobody here claimed Trump has been profiting off the presidency?

The media hasn't been claiming that for 4 years?

I made all of that up?

Not a shocker that you would lie, that's what you always do. But jeez try to make the lies at least slightly opaque next time.

ETA: As far as Trump not paying much taxes, is that even news? That's been common knowledge among everyone I know. Leftists are typically the least informed people on political issues, but surely you guys even remember Maddow's big scoop a few years ago?

There was no news in this story except that there were no connections to Russia and nothing illegal.
edit on 27 9 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Right because what millionaire or billionaire gets audited, right??

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
Does his Maralago club making over 100 million from his over 30 golf trips count?

Does the Maralogo club pay millions of dollars in taxes each year that has nothing to do with Trump's PERSONAL earnings count?

Why yes, it does.

Pro Tip... if you don't understand the difference between a company owner's taxes and the company's taxes, just stop posting.

It will save you from looking.... silly.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Trump invests the money he makes, when you do it right, you pay little taxes, you build more buildings then there is no profit, but it leads to lots of financial gains as years go by. Plus he had a deal go bad and lost a lot of money years back, which he recouped the loss against his income for many years. I did not pay much taxes because I kept investing, then in years that I did not make much after I was done, I paid less taxes when I sold some of the assets of the business. Anyone who starts a business can deduct costs on depreciation that their business buys. You just have to do it right, and it cannot be a hobby income, meaning in the first so many years you have to show profit three years of the time or something like that.

What Trump does, most businesses do, even small businesses. The small businesses could not make it if they could not write off expenses, same with big businesses, nobody would invest in things if they did not profit. On top of that, corporations pass on taxes they pay to customers who buy their products, you tax oil, you pay more for gas, you tax farmers more, you pay more for food in the stores. Same with all businesses, most people have been led to believe that a business not paying taxes is evil...not always. Paying corporate taxes just raises prices on what they sell, that is not the same as the salaries of the corporate leaders and the investors, they are taxed on what they earn.

We have a hell of a lot of people in this country who are undereducated in how this works. The majority of big corporations are not evil, but many of the leaders of those corporations get benefit packages, like expensive golf course fees that are paid by the corporations...no tax paid. It is not the greedy corporations that are bad, it is the people running the corporations that are bad. I take a stance against Monsanto, and now Bayer more for their deceiving tactics and bullying than for their profiting. I focus on the bad they are doing, not that the rich do not pay taxes, the system is full of loopholes, if you tax corporations profits, they will just invest more and pay their execs more and still pay no taxes. Also the business expenses or perks will increase and the execs will get more fun and games...like yearly passes to football paid by the company for public relations and business boosting incentive, so they will burn up more of the money and pay stockholders less dividends. Also, taxing corporations will lead to reduced dividends for people who have retirement invested in the company...it works it's way down to the little guy, it does not hurt the heads of corporations. If they tax AT&T more corporate tax, our dividends go down.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

So, he's been a business success by failing spectacularly for 10 years?

Where did his money come from, his net worth of "tens of billions", if he didn't make any money?

edit on 27/9/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Does the Maralogo club pay millions of dollars in taxes each year that has nothing to do with Trump's PERSONAL earnings count?

Why yes, it does.

Pro Tip... if you don't understand the difference between a company owner's taxes and the company's taxes, just stop posting.

The alleged tax details were of the Trump Organization, not of his personal tax details.

In your example of the Maralago club, they probably didn't pay taxes, or if they did, those taxes were written off against other losses of the group. So they shuffled the numbers on paper and didn't pay taxes.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   

It’s comical.

Sure.... We all know the left believed his tax returns would finally destroy Trump and they'd win by default because he'd go to jail. All he's guilty of (if true) is having lawyers that used our crap tax code to evade taxes.

This isn't your smoking gun.

Show me him breaking the law and the source or you got nothing
edit on 27-9-2020 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Where did his money come from, his net worth of "tens of billions", if he didn't make any money?

Where did anyone say he's worth "tens of billions," which would be $20B or higher?

You don't even know the first thing about this subject. As usual, posting while completely uninformed on the topic.

You also ignored the questions in the OP like the coward you always are. You were promised his tax returns would show he was connected to Russia. You were also told that he profits off the presidency. Those are both proven false by this story. You got lied to. Do you have any negative feelings toward the media for lying to you?

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

It’s comical.

New York state prosecutors subpoenaed Trump's tax records. They said they were looking for illegal activity. Now you're telling us they were only looking to see how little he paid over the years? Not illegally, mind you, just that he didn't make as much money as some people believed, or didn't pay as much as some people thought he should.

And in finding nothing illegal in Trump's tax return, the district attorney's office leaks the information to the press in an attempt to embarrass Trump. Comical is not the word I would choose. I think corruption is more appropriate.

Regardless of how you feel about Trump, or how much money he made or lost, or how much he paid in taxes, I would hope that every American would have a problem with this.

A New York State district attorney used the weight of his office to subpoena someone's tax returns to go on a fishing expedition. When he comes up empty, he leaks the records to the press for the sole purpose of trying to damage that person's reputation.

I'll bet you wouldn't find it "comical" if it had happened to you.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Total net worth is different than liquid net worth.

Many billionaires don’t have billions sitting around in cash. A) because if you have cash idling it’s not working for you and B) it’s likely locked up in a business or hard asset (RE, PPE, etc.).

Said another way, many very wealthy people have their assets locked up in a business that’s worth some multiple of TTM revenue (typically) if the business is privately held. Different businesses have different multiples for what they’re worth - and those numbers ebb and flow. But that’s how they arrive at “billionaire” status.

Also, being illiquid is common for RE guys. They might have a net worth of 50-100 million but only have a few million liquid (stocks/bonds/cash). Still wealthy, but not like folks might think - it also means that come tax time they might not be paying a lot in tax. The goal is to look at broke as possible on paper and run everything through the business or LLC.

Also, to the point of taxes, this is another reason the wealthy like art/jewelry/etc. - easier to transfer that wealth undetected to the next generation. I.e. they buy a 50k painting and then give it to their kid to hang on their wall. The kid doesn’t have 50k in cold hard cash, but they do have a 50k asset that isn’t “titled” - and their net worth is still increased by 50k.

I could go on but suffice to say, this kind of thing can get complicated.
edit on 27-9-2020 by EnigmaChaser because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
Posting work written by others
edit on Tue Sep 29 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Anyone rich enough to pay the price for a good accountant will pay squat in taxes each year.

I bet he fires them whenever he has to pay over a certain amount for failure to protect him enough.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Why yes, it does.

The alleged tax details were of the Trump Organization, not of his personal tax details.

In your example of the Maralago club, they probably didn't pay taxes, or if they did, those taxes were written off against other losses of the group. So they shuffled the numbers on paper and didn't pay taxes.

Well thank you as an American citizen with dozens for properties and thousands of employees and a deep and personal knowledge of Trump's business dealings clear that up for us.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Im no leftist but I ask this in addition to you're OP....

So how is this different than all the other tax evaders?

And a final point:

- When you go after all the other tax evasion issues that you've never said peep about, I'll consider going after Trump and his tax evasion.

Now that we're at it... Let's check all the taxes from every political leader in office today... Dems included.

No?

Case and point. Don't say squat because you don't have a leg to stand on. When you go after yours... I'll go after mine. Hows that? Fair?

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Where did anyone say he's worth "tens of billions," which would be $20B or higher?

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. In 2016 Trump said to the Washington Post that he had a net worth of "probably over $10 billion".

Trump says he’s worth $10 billion, and he’s still unsure about Obama’s birthplace - The Washington Post

You don't even know the first thing about this subject. As usual, posting while completely uninformed on the topic.

You also ignored the questions in the OP like the coward you always are.

Ignoring pointless, fantastical, and irrelevant questions is not cowardly in the slightest. However, I will answer them:

Trump's Presidency has allowed him to side-step a number of legal cases from both before and during his term of office. That is one way he has profited from his time in office. There are some cases which are likely to resume once he is no longer President:

Here Are the Investigations Donald Trump Still Faces | Time

Fearing jail and facing defeat, Trump will not leave office quietly - Salon.com

If Trump Doesn't Win in 2020, SDNY Will 'Be Waiting With Cuffs' When He Leaves Office: MSNBC Legal Analyst - Newsweek

Will New York slap Trump with an October surprise? - POLITICO

An Updated Guide to Every Lawsuit Donald Trump Faces | Fortune

Also, the fact that he has not divested himself of the Trump Organization's business, contrary to the emoluments clause of the Constitution, is another way he is profiting off the Office. While President he has all his accommodation, travel, entertainment, and dining expenses fully paid for, and despite his claims, as of 11 July 2020, he had only donated 1/4 of the income he has received so far as President (he may donate the rest later, but I doubt that).

You were promised his tax returns would show he was connected to Russia.

Who made that promise and when? Please present supportive links. Since Trump has failed to get any significant investment from Russia, and that is on record, why would anyone believe that his tax records would show the opposite?

Even Trump's involvement with the Russian mafia (who were actually US citizens), who controlled the New York concrete business, was peripheral and was years ago, and not likely to implicate him or his business' in any way.

Also, why would anyone have made such a promise to me, a non-citizen of the US?

I am fairly sure that the Trump Organization has not done any significant business with Russia, despite trying. To the best of my knowledge, every Trump attempt at gaining any significant investment from Russia has failed and caused nothing but financial loss.

I am not a US citizen and have no personal investments in the USA or US companies and would not, therefore, profit from tax returns to US companies or citizens.

You were also told that he profits off the presidency. Those are both proven false by this story. You got lied to. Do you have any negative feelings toward the media for lying to you?

This story, that the Trump Organization 15 years ago, and for 10 of those subsequent years, did not pay any tax, does not prove that Trump has not profited from being POTUS. For one thing, there is a five-year gap prior to him becoming President and his term of office has been for a further four years, during which he has clearly profited both personally and as the CEO of the Trump Organization while being President at the same time.

Oh, and I am not a 'leftist'. I strongly favor capitalism as a social and business incentive.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join