It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Warning: U.S. Gulf Coast Faces High Tsunami Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There has been a new warning issued by scientists today. This warning states that the northern Caribbean may be at a high risk for a major tsunami. This warning is based on historical records that date back to Columbus' arrival in 1492.

livescience.com
A tsunami in this region could affect more than 35 million people on the islands of the Greater and Lesser Antilles and along the east and Gulf coasts of the United States. The danger has been highlighted in previous research.

The major source for past tsunamis in the northern Caribbean has been movement along the boundary between the North American and Caribbean tectonic plates. This fault line stretches 2,000 miles (3,200 kilometers) from Central America to the Lesser Antilles, brushing up against the north coast of Hispaniola (the island of Haiti and the Dominican Republic).

Nancy Grindlay and Meghan Hearne of the University of North Carolina and Paul Mann of the University of Texas identified 10 significant tsunamis that have resulted from movement along this plate boundary. Six of these caused loss of life.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a huge warning that could prove to be true some time in the future. A tsunami is the Gulf Coast region could affect millions of people and if there is a way to warn people about this disaster, I am all for it. History repeats itself and if this tsunami comes about, it will affect more people than the 1692, 1780 and 1946 tsunami combined.

This research is supported by the National Science Foundation and the University of Puerto Rico SeaGrant program.

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Okay. I'm thinkin sonic booms in Florida. Terrorism just doesn't do it for me anymore.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
That's just great!! The company I work for is opening a branch in St. Croix and I'll be down there for an extended period.

You know those floats that you put on your child's arms so they don't drown?
Do they make those for grown men too?

Peace

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This subject is old news. They are already addressing the problem. Guess some scientists do not read the news if you ask me.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/16/2005 by shots]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Looks to me like it's a new warning, just like the article's headline says:

New Warning: U.S. Gulf Coast Faces High Tsunami Risk March 16, 2005

The author referenced the old news.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Which prves they already knew the problem was being addressed, yet they now claim it is a new warning?

How can it be a new warning when they have already started to built a warning system to notify people

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
A new study, the way I read it.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
and why are they warning about things like that when there seems to be much more 'interesting' things happening to the tectonic plates all over?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
And i hear that typhoons will ravange the gulf coast this spring and summer...

I guess these scientists didn't know that they are called TIDAL WAVES on this side of the big water.

historically speaking... anything can happen that has happend before.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
A new warning

Any surfer that has lived on the gulf coast knows that that area is prone to tsunamies. Many years ago there was a big earthquake in the carribean, something like a 6.5, and the Pensacola area got a small swell from the tsunami trickling to that area. A big earthquake off of the gulf side of Cuba will be a catastrophy.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
and why are they warning about things like that when there seems to be much more 'interesting' things happening to the tectonic plates all over?

uh that effects tsunamis, they are usully caused by underwater earth quakes....

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
hey wait up there, Skippy!!! I have tickets to St thomas come end May. I refuse to have this spoil my vacation. Where do I petition for a post June tsunami?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
hey wait up there, Skippy!!! I have tickets to St thomas come end May. I refuse to have this spoil my vacation. Where do I petition for a post June tsunami?

To late now. You are doomed ask those that did the study

top topics

join