It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thunderstorms produce antimatter is there a danger to us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I figure we need a break from politics so I would discuss some science.

My story actually starts in search of nuclear blasts during the cold war. Scientists used satellites to look for gamma emissions on earth thinking the only possible source would be a nuclear blast. Well, monitoring they would periodically get a blast that they could not find a cause. Very strange but it was discovered antimatter is being created here on earth.

After observations, it was found that thunderstorms can produce gamma-ray blasts! So the search for the source started and to everyone's surprise dark lightning was discovered.

Now the danger is one of these blasts can give an individual a lifetime worth of radiation.

edit on 9/27/20 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Thunderstorms have been around for more than twenty years.,,,

Probably not a problem...

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
Anti-matter can't exist in this Universe.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
Thunderstorms have been around for more than twenty years.,,,

Probably not a problem...

Dark lighteing is crazy considering we are the first generation to even realize it exists on earth. Kind of neat when you think about it a thunderstorm can produce antimatter.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Why not?

P

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Look at the thunder !
Listen to the lightning !
Where is the wind going ?

There's a hole in the sky of thunder-Bay.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 01:19 AM
link   
So like, can we get Elon MunSk and Lockheed + Exxon Mobile to figure out how to harvest this stiff for our anti matter reactors?? At this ratebwe are pretty close to the Star Trek timeline for gaibing warp engines. May as well utilize DARPA as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Im not going to say its impossible but getting something up there that can create a magnetic field and capture antimatter would be difficult to say the least. Though this process is almost identical to a particle collider. Problem is we can trap antimatter in a particle collider we just cant make a lot. So far we made 15 nanograms way short of the thousands of pounds we would need for space flight.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Well maybe the next time those cultists at CERN do their little demon summoning ritual, they can ask Satan for the secret to easy AM collection??

Havr they ever done another ritual like they did that one time years ago??

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Give us our daily bread.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I highly doubt it's dangerous.

Lightning occurs when enough voltage builds up in the atmosphere to create a spark, in many ways not dissimilar to the spark one might get by walking across carpet and then touching a doorknob. That spark can be thousands of volts (and is the primary reason grounding oneself is so critical when working with electronics), and lightning can go on up into the millions of volts. Voltage is simply a measurement of how energetic electrons are on average.

It is possible for the voltage to go even higher, however, when the conditions are right and the air surrounding the energetic area has a higher-than-normal dialectric strength. That seems to be the best explanation for dark lightning. When the voltage reaches a certain critical level, the electrons become so excited they can actually form a positron from the energy they contain. That positron then reacts with a nearby electron, releasing all that energy as gamma radiation.

Dark lightning is thought to occur once for every 1000 occurrences of regular lightning, and only in the most severe thunderstorms at the highest altitudes. A plane might be susceptible (not so far as being damaged, but rather so far as encountering a dark lightning incident), but planes avoid thunderstorms for obvious reasons. So it's really nothing to worry about, just an interesting glance into how the Universe works.

And antimatter doesn't last long. It is formed when the correct amount of energy creates two identical but opposite particles, like, say, an electron and a positron. The electron is matter; the positron is antimatter, and the two particles are linked through quantum entanglement (an atomic-sized extra-dimensional wormhole). As soon as the positron encounters an electron which is typically measured in microseconds, both are destroyed and the energy is re-released. That actually doubles the amount of energy; we start with one electron, it gains enough energy to create a positron, and that positron then destroys itself and an electron.

Capturing the antimatter before it encounters an identical but opposite particle of matter would be quite problematic. The only thing we know of which can theoretically contain antimatter is a magnetic bottle and there are all sorts of logistical complications even then. Not the least of which is the tiny amount of time the antimatter exists.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
So like, can we get Elon MunSk and Lockheed + Exxon Mobile to figure out how to harvest this stiff for our anti matter reactors?? At this ratebwe are pretty close to the Star Trek timeline for gaibing warp engines. May as well utilize DARPA as well.

Remember you also need a heavy duty wire. 1.21 gigawatts are a lot but the flux capacitor won't work without that.
edit on 27-9-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I have mentioned this before here under a different alias, scientist at the LHC require anti matter to run their experiments so its conceivable that they could try and mine it by creating thunderstorms.
Some esoteric thought explains of dual universes where anti matter exists and a black sun alongside our own, lightning is used as symbology in many occult workings, could a lightning strike create a rip in the fabric between two universes causing them to seep into one another fir an instant?
Could explain paranormal phenomenon.

This was written from memory so may not be entirely accurate.

Also what if in 93 years time we develop technology that can measure this phenomenon much more accurately and we find anti matter is even produced from the tiny spark that occurs when sperm meets the egg and shows that we are all from the other universe.
Even better half if us, and there was no way to determine this by colour of skin or shape of body.

How would we know who to be racist against.

edit on 27-9-2020 by OutTheBox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Such a definitive statement is just as ridiculous as saying scientist know all that there is to know.........come on now lets not be contrarian just because its become a habit.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Such a definitive statement is just as ridiculous as saying scientist know all that there is to know.........come on now lets not be contrarian just because its become a habit.

Doesnt matter hes wrong its produced all the time in the universe. Though its usually done with an equal amount of matter But there are places where that is not true. For example in our own galaxy we have found a patch of antimatter.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

"There's a killer on the road"..

OT: Very cool OP, i didn't think we would find out anything like this anymore, could be tied into UFO encounters too as in some cases the witness when tested seems to be radioactive and they have no clue why, this is the first time i see something that could actually cause this. It would also seem to me UFO's could be attracted to these anomalies or dare i say even be the cause somehow. Cool stuff!

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: OutTheBox

Well yes the LHC did create antimatter they actually wanted to verify if antimatter works the same as matter in gravity. As it turns out you cant tell the two apart they act the same.

home.cern...

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   

That's incorrect. Antimatter exists in space and on Earth, and we in fact create antimatter for uses here on earth

For example, PET body scanners (medical imaging device) use antimatter -- Positrons (antimatter electrons) to be exact, hence the name Positron Emission Tomography, or PET.

The person getting the PET scan is injected with a tracer compound containing antimatter positrons. When those positrons encounter an electron, they annihilate each other. Those annihilations are picked up by the PET scanner and an image of the inside of the body is produced from that information.

edit on 9/27/2020 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Very interesting topic and nice, short but informative videos elaborate on the topic.
I've flown "around the world" many times in equivalent flight miles, but the planes do indeed tend to avoid thunderstorms at high altitude. The main time thunderstorms seem to be an issue is when they are located at the destination airport, but apparently the dark lightning isn't a threat at those low altitudes used for landing approach, and we are typically more concerned with things like "microbursts" which can make a plane crash while it's attempting to land. DFW or Dallas Fort-Worth airport has its share of those.

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
So like, can we get Elon MunSk and Lockheed + Exxon Mobile to figure out how to harvest this stiff for our anti matter reactors??
I don't see the point. There are technologies coming on-line that can mass-produce positrons using lasers far more easily where we can "bottle" them, than trying to gather them at altitude and "bottle" them there.

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Im not going to say its impossible but getting something up there that can create a magnetic field and capture antimatter would be difficult to say the least.
Agreed and we have easier methods of getting positrons.

Problem is we can trap antimatter in a particle collider we just cant make a lot. So far we made 15 nanograms way short of the thousands of pounds we would need for space flight.
New technologies are producing more and more, but even if we had lots of antimatter, I'm not sure we have technology to use it safely. Did you see what happened to the antimatter rocket in the NatGeo show "Evacuate Earth"? Plus I lost count of how many times the star trek chief engineers had to tell the captain that they or some other ship were losing containment on the antimatter storage. Granted it's science fiction, but it certainly is a factual possibility.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   
There was a thread on this very topic some years ago.

It always had me thinking if there was some way to “capture” or “harness” it with a huge plane and a massive rod ☺️
I’m glad the subject is being discussed once again, Naturally occurring Anti Matter reactions for the taking.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join