It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low wages are a result of inexpensive imports thanks to our politicians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
If you really think about it, low prices of goods from that are being imported is actually a result from low wages.
So in truth what we're really dealing with is an economic situation where the economy is actually trapped in a cage and within that cage is low cheap imported goods versus low wages around the world.
Currently it seems the only prosperous people that are being able to prosper are those people that are in the import business whether it's United States Europe Asia , so it's really a catch-22 for everyone that is trying to survive and make ends meet on substandard wages.it is very true that many people fall into this category having three part-time jobs , both the husband and wife and kids have to work just to make a living.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Nah, Reagan's an American National hero, his enabling of the offshoring of American manufacturing jobs has absolutely nothing to do with the current #ed up state of the global economy.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Don’t underestimate the American consumers greed by buying cheap imported products instead of American made products.
It’s not the liquor stores fault that people drive drunk.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
If you really think about it, low prices of goods from that are being imported is actually a result from low wages.
So in truth what we're really dealing with is an economic situation where the economy is actually trapped in a cage and within that cage is low cheap imported goods versus low wages around the world.
Currently it seems the only prosperous people that are being able to prosper are those people that are in the import business whether it's United States Europe Asia , so it's really a catch-22 for everyone that is trying to survive and make ends meet on substandard wages.it is very true that many people fall into this category having three part-time jobs , both the husband and wife and kids have to work just to make a living.

Every one is guilty... consumers, businesses, and politicians. With that said, I think consumers though share the most blame because businesses only respond to consumers.

The reality is that everyone is greedy and acts in their own best interest. As a result, off shoring jobs was a natural result once any barriers to doing so were removed.

Consumers want the cheapest price. Most businesses offer products that are a commodity or easily substitutable. As a result, the only real lever a business has is price and cost. When the consumer is price sensitive, businesses look at their biggest expense which is labor. If a business can make a product for next to nothing using third world labor, that is what they are going to do if all their competitors are doing the same. Consumers have shown they don't care if a product is made in America or not. They talk all that buy American and keep jobs here sh*t until it is time to open their wallets.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

So,
What is it you want you want?
do you not understand already that critical components are made all over the world, and have been for yonks, for all sorts of things, no matter what.
I sympathise though that a multi work regime has become a necessity.
What to do about that though, is your guess, it's not just buying say, American made for instance, but unless that product is made entirely in America, which it is probably not, unless stated otherwise.

therein, is the definition, and it applies to just about every large economic part of the world, that doesn't grow bananas.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If you take the price of what China sells the goods to importers for, we would be getting everything below what the retailers get things for. It is the importers that jack up the price. They are getting rich and in essence, what the stores pay for the merchandise, we could make and sell it for that with technology. Everything gets jacked up a lot that importers sell to the stores. With technology businesses could compete with the importers. My granddaughter ordered some stuff from China, through the chinese manufacturer, it was a quarter of the price she could get it for from a wholesale company, and it included shipping in the price already. I also was a distributer for air tools for a little while and I could buy tools of decent quality for a quarter of what I could get the same tool wholesale in this country, delivered free over two hundred bucks. The company made tools for many big pneumatic suppliers. I was considered a dealer to sell to suppliers. I never did much with this but do have twenty seven air tools and gave lots of air tools for Christmas presents that year and sold at least twenty to my friends at my cost.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If you take the price of what China sells the goods to importers for, we would be getting everything below what the retailers get things for. It is the importers that jack up the price.

Importers, don't jack up the prices, unless the government jack up the tarrifs, that's a con...otherwise, imports will always be seen as competitive.
edit on 26-9-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Is there a company or website that can help you shop for American made goods? If such a website existed I would be first in line.
edit on 2020/9/26 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 10:58 PM
link   
To think, Capitalism main selling point was to make things cheaper an simple...not expensive an simple like Communism.

Manufacturing in the West is a thing of the past, due to its own innovations, like robotics an 3-d printing, to someone who would do it for less an surprising quality at a imbalanced competitive pricing, that even an A.I would be out of a job.
edit on 26-9-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Regan started it Bush Sr continued it and Clinton drove the stake through the heart of american manufacturing...

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Agreed, NAFTA was the real nail through the #ing skull of North American industry all around. That was what did industry in up here to the north and pretty much decimated Mexico's economy.

NAFTA was all our politicians handing over the last remains of everything North America had left to globalist companies so they could squeeze every last drop of profit out while giving nothing back to the countries they profited from.

edit on 26/9/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   
So if all the good paying jobs go overseas then everyone ends up being a barista...

edit on 27-9-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Specimen88

Communism makes things expensive? Yeah I remember the Russians having tanks and planes that cost 5-10x that of similarly capable systems made elsewhere... Lol

Manufacturing in the West is a thing of the past, due to its own innovations, like robotics an 3-d printing, to someone who would do it for less an surprising quality at a imbalanced competitive pricing, that even an A.I would be out of a job.

It's called advanced manufacturing. I'll start to believe you about manufacturing when China manages to produce good steel. Till then they don't stand a chance at producing mono-crystalline structures.

Advanced economies tend to build the machines that build the machines. China are catching up but they rely on stealing others work to achieve their goals.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 03:00 AM
link   

I think that it's more the fact that people are considered to be a disposable resource. There are so many people in the market these days that companies can simply pick the ones who accept the lowest amounts, particularly in non-managerial positions. No matter how low you go there will always be somebody willing to do longer hours for less money.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 03:06 AM
link   

This isn't something I'll be able to change my mind on any time soon... Because I know it's the humane and logical thing to do.

End all trade with nations that abuse human rights. Demand requirements for the accessibility of trade, such as environmental issues.

Anyone who has a clue knows that it isn't just the wage and rights westerners are afforded that makes business difficult in the west. Environmental factors are the big deal breaker.

Rightly so too, we shouldn't back down on protecting our environments from an easy buck. Knowing a bit history from the industrial revolutions I understand it costs us in the long run.

Anyways the import/export business is a lot older than the likes of workers rights or fair wages. Traders of yesterday were the forerunners of private equity and the evolution of financial based class systems. They're not to blame and the overheads of trade isn't as crazy as most think.

Nope. It's governments and nations that are at fault.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Speaking from my own personal perspective, I simply can't buy a lot of the products that I want form American companies. Too many of them are stuck in the past using older manufacturing techniques, aren't innovating sufficiently, or are catering for a different market and don't see me as being worth targeting as a consumer.

It also doesn't help that far too many American companies charge a small fortune to ship even small items. I can order a product from China and pay less than half of the shipping charges that I would pay form an American one. I can get almost identical products from China and pay $25 less for them simply because one uses the post office and the other refuses to do anything less than fedex next day or the equivalent of. Which is patently absurd on a product that's values under $100.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Workers rights?

Minimum wage?

Me thinks any company abusing these things need to be punished and to compensate those they ripped off.

Companies can be replaced, individuals can't.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: dug88

Regan started it Bush Sr continued it and Clinton drove the stake through the heart of american manufacturing...

And a very sad part about all this is that Trump is trying to do it that man said can't remember how to pronounce his name but yeah Trump is being I don't know being thrown under the bus because he's pro-american and pro-american jobs it's just like the world has gone mad man what not the world but American thinking is like money money money you know..

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I just watched Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan and i thought he had it spot on.

Under Clinton, the Dems adopted the Repubs strategy of backing big business. They abandoned the little guy.

This is why NAFTA and Clintons crime bill killed jobs. Think about it...Wally world got big promoting "american made" products in the eighties. Now, youd be lucky to find ANYTHING, actually produced in the usa.

Same with cars....just 50%of Fords are made in the US.

Then again, unions have killed industry as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I wouldn't blame a particular bill or act for the decline of our economy and segments of our job market. I'd totally blame greed and politics.

Example: The minimum wage in many states for service workers (waitresses, bartenders etc) is appalling because they also receive tips. The unions (National Restaurant Association for example) lobby long and hard to keep those wages down. They dump money to the state politicians who in turn let these unions and groups make decisions for them and then look who suffers. The workers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join