It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Furoshiki For Survival?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Survival is often called Bushcraft and part of that word is craft. So what better way to do an odd thread is to introduce a craft still practiced in Okinawa and parts of Japan of how to fold and knot a square cloth around an object as gift wrapping. Now immediately the question becomes, “What in the world does this have to do with survival?”

Well a square of cloth could be the obligatory collection of bandanas or a Shemagh. The techniques can be used to securely wrap your gear in your kit for a better organization of your pack. Or used to make an impromptu pack in the form of a haversack if you don’t have a pack. All without sewing a single stitch.

Now, I’ll be honest. I only just ran across this a couple days ago. And after practicing with a bandana on various shaped objects, I find it an invaluable skill set to add to your survival knowledge. Because it is about adapting other uses for the things around you that would be otherwise overlooked.

Of particular interest in my opinion is Hon Tsutsumi, Sao Tsutsumi, Entou Tsutsumi and Katakake Fukuro. Only with the modifications shown in these two videos. The second giving the better version of adapting Katakake Fukuro. Notice with your midpoint knots on the inside, a better bag is made.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yup, never forget your towel. Ever.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I know how to make rope out of inner tree bark and weeds. I can't see where I ever would need to make something out of cloth like they are doing, our survival stuff includes string and we have lots of odd material if we want to make something. I won't be moving into the woods, I live in the woods, and everyone around us has guns so we will stick together and help each other. We will not allow chaotic people to come into our area and start harassing us. When you know your neighbors for years, and you are easy going and not crazy weird, people help to look after each other.

Plus there are cops here and they come when called pretty quick, if they get defunded, they still have their certifications and because they are good cops you would be able to call them for help if needed. Now if our government goes nuts, we are screwed and nothing will be able to be done.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Foraging tends to require bags or other container. Even today if you were just going out picking raspberries or blackberries. You can either have a supply of bags to meet your needs or use something you might have on hand like a bandana. Which while camping, my number one use for a bandana is as a pot holder followed by either a placemat or a napkin.

As with all things, your mileage may vary. Personally I find them as handy as a shirt pocket...which isn’t a bad place to stick one when not in use. And while you can weave a basket or make a carry net out of natural cordage materials, knowing how to take less than a minute to do a quick bundle tie of a couple large rocks suspended to either end of a pole to be carried as a yoke while building something far from your quarry can be pretty handy. Especially when you are done you just untie the knots, use them for something else and the yoke can go back to being your hiking stick.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Foraging tends to require bags or other container. Even today if you were just going out picking raspberries or blackberries. You can either have a supply of bags to meet your needs or use something you might have on hand like a bandana. Which while camping, my number one use for a bandana is as a pot holder followed by either a placemat or a napkin.

As with all things, your mileage may vary. Personally I find them as handy as a shirt pocket...which isn’t a bad place to stick one when not in use. And while you can weave a basket or make a carry net out of natural cordage materials, knowing how to take less than a minute to do a quick bundle tie of a couple large rocks suspended to either end of a pole to be carried as a yoke while building something far from your quarry can be pretty handy. Especially when you are done you just untie the knots, use them for something else and the yoke can go back to being your hiking stick.

Well, to pick berries, you could always use a covid mask.

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   

That’s for hands free eating.

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

That’s for hands free eating.

Well, it is possible that you could get covid from a wild blueberry bush I suppose. Although some chemistry in blueberries can have viral inhibiting properties. You got less chance of getting covid from eating wild blueberries in the woodsthan sitting at home and isolating yourself from society. Unless of course someone with covid took a dump in the blueberry patch before you got to it.

top topics

join