It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook leaks show Mark Zuckerberg defending his decisions to angry employees

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well, I never thought this would be something I'd be doing, but here goes, i'm going to defend Mark Zuckerberg...yup, you heard that right.

So, some leaks have come out of facebook recently showing Zuckerberg and his employees arguing about some issues, his employees becoming angry towards him etc.

Now what is this all over you may ask, well his employees are quite upset Zuckerberg refuses to allow them to censor and remove posts of a conservative nature.

That's right, Zuckerberg defending the free speech of Facebook's users against censorship by his employees, who woulda ever guessed.

www.theverge.com...

Employees want him to take a harder line against the Trump Administration. His user base wants him to do the opposite

In a summer’s worth of leaked audio recordings obtained by The Verge, you can hear Facebook's CEO trying to hold the center.

To the outside world, depending on your point of view, Facebook is a hugely popular social network, a dangerous incubator of right-wing conspiracy theories and hoaxes, or a censorious liberal arm of the Democratic Party

Black Lives Matter movement that swept the country in June, galvanized Facebook employees who had begun to question how their own work may contribute to racial inequality. After Zuckerberg decided to let stand a controversial Trump post

It was May 29th, and as protests over George Floyd’s murder swept Minneapolis, Trump posted a tweet that was cross-posted to his Facebook page. “Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way,” Trump wrote. “Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”

After a day of agonized internal debate, Zuckerberg made the final call to let the looting post stand, arguing in a public statement that citizens had a right to know if their own country planned to take military action against them. Trump cheered the decision.

For employees who had believed in Facebook’s democratizing potential and its mission to make the world “more open and connected,” the move felt like a betrayal. It’s honestly really hard for me to take seriously the words of support from our leadership this morning if we allow content like this on our platform,

his role as CEO of Facebook requires him to remain nonpartisan in the way he enforces the company’s policies, he said. And it wasn’t as if the company would let Trump get away with everything

But in the moment, some Facebook employees saw Zuckerberg’s decision as a failure

For Zuckerberg, the conservatism of his American user base had become more than a source of friction with his employees — it had also become a customer service issue. The No. 1 complaint that Facebook receives from its users is that the company removes too many of their posts, he said, for reasons that they often interpret as being politically motivated.

There was no obvious way to placate liberal employees and conservative users at the same time.

Well I just have to say, that whole thing is a little surprising to, at least Zuckerberg's stance on the whole thing.

Now, the whole point ii've taken away from all this is that Zuckerberg's young liberal employees are all seething from not being allowed to censor opinions they don't agree with.

I'm getting so sick of this mindset people seem to have these days, that they somehow have the right to decide other people's opinions for them and enforce their opinions and views on others.

That it's their moral duty and obligation to police and censor the opinions of those they disagree with.

I've gotta hand it to Zuck for not backing down on that issue.

Though, my overall opinion on him and facebook being trash overall still stands. I can point out some good in people I don't like.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Sounds like a fake conversation was leaked.
Just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Well, I never thought this would be something I'd be doing, but here goes, i'm going to defend Mark Zuckerberg...yup, you heard that right.

So, some leaks have come out of facebook recently showing Zuckerberg and his employees arguing about some issues, his employees becoming angry towards him etc.

Now what is this all over you may ask, well his employees are quite upset Zuckerberg refuses to allow them to censor and remove posts of a conservative nature.

That's right, Zuckerberg defending the free speech of Facebook's users against censorship by his employees, who woulda ever guessed.

www.theverge.com...

Employees want him to take a harder line against the Trump Administration. His user base wants him to do the opposite

In a summer’s worth of leaked audio recordings obtained by The Verge, you can hear Facebook's CEO trying to hold the center.

To the outside world, depending on your point of view, Facebook is a hugely popular social network, a dangerous incubator of right-wing conspiracy theories and hoaxes, or a censorious liberal arm of the Democratic Party

Black Lives Matter movement that swept the country in June, galvanized Facebook employees who had begun to question how their own work may contribute to racial inequality. After Zuckerberg decided to let stand a controversial Trump post

It was May 29th, and as protests over George Floyd’s murder swept Minneapolis, Trump posted a tweet that was cross-posted to his Facebook page. “Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way,” Trump wrote. “Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”

After a day of agonized internal debate, Zuckerberg made the final call to let the looting post stand, arguing in a public statement that citizens had a right to know if their own country planned to take military action against them. Trump cheered the decision.

For employees who had believed in Facebook’s democratizing potential and its mission to make the world “more open and connected,” the move felt like a betrayal. It’s honestly really hard for me to take seriously the words of support from our leadership this morning if we allow content like this on our platform,

his role as CEO of Facebook requires him to remain nonpartisan in the way he enforces the company’s policies, he said. And it wasn’t as if the company would let Trump get away with everything

But in the moment, some Facebook employees saw Zuckerberg’s decision as a failure

For Zuckerberg, the conservatism of his American user base had become more than a source of friction with his employees — it had also become a customer service issue. The No. 1 complaint that Facebook receives from its users is that the company removes too many of their posts, he said, for reasons that they often interpret as being politically motivated.

There was no obvious way to placate liberal employees and conservative users at the same time.

Well I just have to say, that whole thing is a little surprising to, at least Zuckerberg's stance on the whole thing.

Now, the whole point ii've taken away from all this is that Zuckerberg's young liberal employees are all seething from not being allowed to censor opinions they don't agree with.

I'm getting so sick of this mindset people seem to have these days, that they somehow have the right to decide other people's opinions for them and enforce their opinions and views on others.

That it's their moral duty and obligation to police and censor the opinions of those they disagree with.

I've gotta hand it to Zuck for not backing down on that issue.

Though, my overall opinion on him and facebook being trash overall still stands. I can point out some good in people I don't like.

The Conservative base on FB is way bigger than the Progressive.

It's a fine line between Ideology and Profit...

If Suckerberg could completely silence Conservàtive posts and still make the same Profit, he would.

Still nice to see for a change though...

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Id call BS too, looks like a face saving gesture at the most.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I remember something about this from a YT I follow.

The Conservative base on FB is incredibly massive, like, you can’t ignore it.

The Hodgetwins alone make up a huge amount of traffic for the site. The truth is, Right wing personalities are so much more appealing, facts.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
I remember something about this from a YT I follow.

The Conservative base on FB is incredibly massive, like, you can’t ignore it.

The Hodgetwins alone make up a huge amount of traffic for the site. The truth is, Right wing personalities are so much more appealing, facts.

Yup and more interesting equals profit...mmmmmm yummy profit...

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Is this a Mandella effect? At what point did Zuckerberg start backing off of censorship?; I could have sworn at some point he was A-OK with censorship. Was it after he had to show up and testify in front of the Congress?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like at some point he had an eye opening moment and changed the direction of his company. Maybe it had something to do with some of his employees stating that they didn't feel comfortable talking about their conservative political opinions.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Just my opinion.
a reply to: butcherguy

especially sense you cant hear the whole conversation

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Refusing to censor conservatives?

Are you kidding me? I myself have been banned for 30 days for just posting the picture of Biden creepily kissing his grandaughter, they accused me of posting nudity.

I then got another 30 day ban, for posting a story about Biden and his sons dealings in Ukraine, citing i was spreading disinformation and attempted Voter Interference, Im not even kidding.

This whole "leak" sounds like BS

ALL of us that are conservative are well aware of how much they censor, remove our posts, shadow ban us, and outright ban us for simply posting something that goes against the liberal narrative.

This one got me banned for 2 weeks

Apparently it also violates nudity standards
edit on 9/24/2020 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Just my opinion.

My first thought, as well. Even if it is true, they are censoring anyway, so what does it matter?

I don't buy it.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

How much of that was people reporting your posts? Friends and stuff, as far as I know, facebook doesn't actually do anything until something's reported.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

How much of that was people reporting your posts? Friends and stuff, as far as I know, facebook doesn't actually do anything until something's reported.

Facebook has two things, Algorithms that auto respond and remove posts, or through the reporting feature........

If it was someone who reported it , youll know because it will take a while before the ban, if its the algorithm its almost immediate........

The point is, it shouldnt matter........NONE of that should be bannable offenses, and their excuses for the bans dont match what was posted.............its clear bias

Add to that weve already heard point blank people that are reviewing these things have flat out admitted if they go to the persons profile and see they are Trump supporters , they ban them out of spite for any reason.....

Facebook Leaks

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I've never been banned on Facebook, and I've posted some meme-age that many could/would label as being politically extreme.

I'm in quite a few prepper groups, anarchist groups, and whatever else group. I've shared memes about Biden and boogaloo stuff. I've shared memes about all kinds of stuff and never been banned.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

I've never been banned on Facebook, and I've posted some meme-age that many could/would label as being politically extreme.

I'm in quite a few prepper groups, anarchist groups, and whatever else group. I've shared memes about Biden and boogaloo stuff. I've shared memes about all kinds of stuff and never been banned.

I mean congrats to you? Its happening and its happening to tons of us, I have no need to lie for sure.........I hope you remained unscathed......

Ive said for the past 6 months now tho, that there would start being a crackdown, well just a few weeks ago they released their new "Community Standards" that will be effective starting October...........and it amounts to increased censorship.....go read up on it its disturbing, and we KNOW which direction they are going to point those ban hammers

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   

No congrats needed. I was just sharing my experience. I also haven't seen any bans or complaints in any of the groups that I've been in except towards the mods of those groups/pages.

Actually, now that I think about it the only page I have seen get banned is "# My LPO Says."

Heck, in the fee AnCap groups I'm in there's a regular stream of trolls in their trying to stir up drama, and the mods don't kick them out because they support free speech and if someone wants to say something contrary or against what AnCap represents they are free to do so it allows for people to discuss or argue their points.

It may be less a Facebook thing in general and more who you have as friends on Facebook. It more than likely is somebody who has something against you and is reporting you and your posts simply to spite you.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

My thoughts:

- Facebook does a decent job of holding the line. There are individual cases that seem suspicious, but for the most part Facebook does a decent job of allowing their platform to be used by its users as they deem fit (within reason...i have a bunch of blasphemous memes that get autocensored and I cannot post them)

- Facebooks "fact check" is utter horse#. I've seen fact checked articles that boil down to a matter of opinion.

- Zucc will end up having to move his support out of its liberal base. If he doesn't, he will have employee troubles that continue to get worse

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That's similar to my thoughts as well. Especially the fact checking and how some posts will be greyed out because it's "explicit" even though it's really not.

He may find himself having to put his foot down at some point against the majority of his more liberal employees. Because the truth is that even though a majority of his employees are liberal or left leaning or whatever that if they don't accept that people have other opinions or beliefs it can and will and has led to a toxic work environment for his employees.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

i get stuff greyed out because i happily report grotesque violence, and FB censors it to keep me from reporting it.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Who cares... FB is full of boomers and Gen Xers yelling at each other with fake accounts trolling people to go over the edge.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

People care because we live in a Society where Social Media is an acceptable part of our lives.

Maybe not you or I personally, but for a lot of people I know, to include family like my own Wife, yeah, Social Media is massive and people like to gloat and show off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join