It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax Holiday Rant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
So we all know that Trump signed an EO deferring Americans Soc. Sec. payroll taxes to give us a few more dollars a week in take home pay.
Of course, these deferments are to be paid back during Q1 deductions on top of the normal deductions...or more simply put...we will pay about 12.2% taxes on Soc. Sec. instead of the normal 6.1%.
Trump says these deferments will NOT have to be paid back and in fact, theres already legislation in Congress alluding to this. Even if Trump loses to Joe, there's no GD way they'll make people pay it back having been in office only 3 months....at least I don't think the Dems would.

My issue is with my employer and their control over this whole thing. My company has decided, arbitrarily, to not participate. No asking US, the employees, what WE want...just them telling us what we're getting...or not getting in this case.
Who in the F gave companies discretion over millions of Americans lives and finances!? How can roughly 100k businesses decide what is best for 200 MILLION American workers and their families!?
I'm no Poli Sci major, but it seems to me that if the POTUS signs an EO that says I don't have to pay a portion of my taxes...that is defacto Law of the Land...period. No company should have any legal right to take that away from me without my consent right!? This would be tantamount to my employer deciding to defer a portion of my pay into a savings account without my consent...just because they think its best for me.
So I get that others don't want to be forced into paying less taxes now just to pay more later. However, all you have to do is save that 6.1% extra you're getting and you can pay it back in a lump sum when due so no harm done.
Employers say they aren't protected if an employee decides to quit on Jan 1st which will then make the employer responsible for the payback. Makes business sense...BUT...there's just no way any government will force this to be paid back anyway. It wasn't in 2011 and it won't be now.
So now I'm back to the beginning. The only ones getting shafted with this are the people, like me, that would love an extra $100 in my paycheck every two weeks. Thats groceries, or even savings just in case it does have to be paid back by some fluke.
I say let ME decide what I do with MY money. Allowing some faceless corporation to decide what is best for everyone defeats the purpose of any LAW. This sets a bad precedent imo and I will no longer go above and beyond for my employer...I will do the bare minimum required only...the same treatment they're giving me.

edit on 9/24/20 by Hefficide because: Fixed all caps title

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Oh, shut up.

Pay your damned taxes!! The Dems need them to transfer your wealth to people who live in Mommy's basement. And get more votes.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable
Oh, shut up.

Pay your damned taxes!! The Dems need them to transfer your wealth to people who live in Mommy's basement. And get more votes.

Very few politicians even flinched before signing onto the record breaking spending we're seeing right now.

And I wont argue the left wanted to just give everyone an easy ride without having to work, and it appeared they were willing to keep that up for a long period of time which would have certainly wrecked the economy. But the right was cool with writing almost blank checks to industries, and many of the same bad businesses that couldn't weather a little adversity just a decade ago.

Here's the other thing too, what's the difference in spending 5% more, and deferring or outright forgiving 5% of taxes just to be put on the credit card for later? And that's just an example, I don't know what the numbers would really come out to on either proposal, but my point is spending more, and adding more debt are very similar.

There are no (or few) adults in the room at Washington. Certainly not any fiscally conservative or libertarians. After the depression, people funded WWII by buying bonds. We're talking about the middle class having enough savings and buying power to help the nation in it's conviction. Now you have one side saying to give everyone a free ride without having to work, and the other happy with the injection of trillions in dollars to buy corporate assets so the stock market appears to be booming.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 05:43 AM
link   
On the advice of the CPA consulting with CFO, my company has chosen not to take part either at this time. There is much uncertainty in the IRS rules right now. All accounts will have to be balanced On April 15 anyway.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MrBuddy

I opted out, didnt want smaller pay checks next year. Only a fool would want that break just to pay it back on top of normal taxes next year.

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MrBuddy

so let me get this straight.

you want the extra 6%, just so you can save it and pay it all back in one lump sum next year?

how is that a benefit to you? sounds like a headache.

it also sounds like you will just end up spending it and be back on here complaining about how you now have to pay 12%.

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable
Oh, shut up.

give it to basement dwellers that need it (dems), or penthouse people that dont (gop). being middle class im not gonna see any of it anyway.

top topics

join