It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fried rice done right!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

that looks damned tasty.

I have a "fried rice seasoning" that i made. We use butter for the fat. And then sprinkle the seasoning over the rice and stir in the soy sauce. Veggies and eggs are rarely added.

The seasoning i use:

1/2 cup each of ground ginger, garlic, and onion
1/3 cup MSG (i have no sensitivity to it)

But if i were at your house and you gave me that mung bean infused beauty, i'd ask for more.

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The mung bean sprouts add a nice bit of firmness and snap to it when half cooked. It's pretty important for the texture and I never make a batch without them.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss

So that’s why my fried rice always comes out kinda moist? I guess is the best way of explaining it. I’ll make the rice the night before. Thanks for the tip!

Any luck?

I thought of a few more tricks to get the 'right' kind of rice for fried rice. As Timely mentioned, wash and rinse the rice well prior to cooking (I have a sieve that gets the job done.) Starchy rice is a culprit for fried rice.

If the rice is coming out too moist (and for some dishes moist rice is better suited,) just gotta experiment with using less water.

It takes some trial and error. I have never trusted the directions on the package though. They're intentionally misleading for some reason.

I've also tried sauteeing pre-cooked rice in a little butter before adding water to boil. This again keeps remaining starch trapped instead of turning it into glue. I've had great results doing this!

edit on 29-9-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Got a great deal on special trim the other day so been doing thin cut marinated beef creations, and the other day made a spicy plum sauce szechuan beef stir fry with steamed rice. The leftovers made a great fried rice, and I did the egg coating every grain technique.

I cannot stress enough how simply leaving your rice out, covered, in the pan its cooked in, AT ROOM TEMP, overnight, or up to 2 nights, makes your rice perfect for fried rice. Especially if you rinse your rice until the water is clear. Had a Japanese girlfriend once who taught me not to refrigerate my rice.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here's a technique I was taught by several serious rice eating folks on how to make it in pretty much any pan with a lid. Rinse your rice in cold water until the desired water clarity (clear for drier rice used in fried rice and SE asian dishes, slightly murky for sticky chinese or sushi rice). Next place the ends of your fingers bent at the first knuckle flat on top of the rice, like you are kung fu knuckle punching the surface of the rice, add enough water to cover the flattened fingertips on the rice. Next bring to boil, then stir for 3-4 min, then reduce to lowest heat, cover and set timer for 18 minutes.

I have used this exact method for about 12 years in many different pans and with a variety of different styles of white rice (brown is way different) never with any problems.

Happy Friday!!

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

when eating low carb, mung beans are noodles for me. I love sprouts in general. Mung and alfafa the most though.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

On Gym days, I sometimes have 130g Basmati rice. Cooked and cooled the day before, then reheated in a stir fry with some beef or chicken, Toasted sesame Oil etc .. Comes in around 40g carbs, Barely raises my Blood glucose and I am still in Ketosis afterwards.

Resistant starch, from the cooling and reheating.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

That is interesting.

I've not looked into insulin response insomuch as just managing the carb intake on the front end. Now you've given me something to consider.

I really enjoy rice quite a bit (jasmine is my preferred, basmati works fine). and anything that can help break up the meat and cheese orgy is welcome.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Honestly I thought it was all nonsense til I saw my own blood glucose and ketone results afterwards. I was surprised to say the least! 130g of cooked rice isn't a lot but to make a decent stir fry bulked with meat etc it feels like a God send on keto and I'll take it.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

when eating low carb, mung beans are noodles for me. I love sprouts in general. Mung and alfafa the most though.

Oh heck yes! A sandwich without alfalfa sprouts is a sad sandwich.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Don't forget to add a teaspoon or so of sesame seed oil to the hot pan if you really want to kick the flavor to the roof

posted on Oct, 11 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

That would make the most awesome aroma in the kitchen.....

One of the reasons I love to cook jasmine rice is the aroma

edit on Sun Oct 11 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join