It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA lays out $28 billion plan to return astronauts to the moon in 2024

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: HalWesten
Again I ask why. We know what's there, nothing. There's nothing to be gained unless someone finds a way to harvest the what was it, O3 or H3 or something like that? Use that 28 billion to advance our health care along with a law to mandate price negotiations with providers and pharma. Besides, that will easily double or triple by 2024 because of wasteful government spending. Black ops. Covert programs.

No advantages? Are you serious?

1 lunar surface can be used making solar panels. You could even create huge solar farms and send energy directy back to earth.

2 moon base platform for further expansion. You could build entire ships on the moon great place to launch rockets from as well as provide fuel. You can make oxygen from moon rocks they contain about 20 percent oxygen. then of course there is Helium-3, Not to mention other precious metals as well.

Then there is the factor we need to test things for a mission to mars. The moon would be perfect to work out all the bugs closer to home.

Moon base nonsense. They'll never be able to beat the dust problem, which consists of microscopic, sharper than razor-sharp shards of glass that will infiltrate and damage everything, including robots, vehicles and human lungs. And there's NO WAY you could clean and wash enough to get it all off, especially in a place where you have to bring all of your own water.

Pessimism is what keeps NASA stagnant to begin with. Try to show a little optimism. You can do it!

Why would I want to be optimistic about a ridiculous moon base plan? It's not really even a good place to build ships to go to other planets (another wild folly in the making), since it's at the bottom of yet another gravity well. The place to build interplanetary ships is one of the LeGrange Points.

Fortunately, these things never literally get off the ground, but still manage to provide a little white collar welfare work to the aerospace engineers who could easily go work for Brand X.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I think you're all missing the most important part of a return to the moon . . . Watching Jarrah White have a nervous breakdown.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Again I ask why. We know what's there, nothing. There's nothing to be gained unless someone finds a way to harvest the what was it, O3 or H3 or something like that? Use that 28 billion to advance our health care along with a law to mandate price negotiations with providers and pharma. Besides, that will easily double or triple by 2024 because of wasteful government spending. Black ops. Covert programs.

1 lunar surface can be used making solar panels. You could even create huge solar farms and send energy directy back to earth.

2 moon base platform for further expansion. You could build entire ships on the moon great place to launch rockets from as well as provide fuel. You can make oxygen from moon rocks they contain about 20 percent oxygen. then of course there is Helium-3, Not to mention other precious metals as well.

Then there is the factor we need to test things for a mission to mars. The moon would be perfect to work out all the bugs closer to home.

Moon base nonsense. They'll never be able to beat the dust problem, which consists of microscopic, sharper than razor-sharp shards of glass that will infiltrate and damage everything, including robots, vehicles and human lungs. And there's NO WAY you could clean and wash enough to get it all off, especially in a place where you have to bring all of your own water.

Pessimism is what keeps NASA stagnant to begin with. Try to show a little optimism. You can do it!

Why would I want to be optimistic about a ridiculous moon base plan? It's not really even a good place to build ships to go to other planets (another wild folly in the making), since it's at the bottom of yet another gravity well. The place to build interplanetary ships is one of the LeGrange Points.

Fortunately, these things never literally get off the ground, but still manage to provide a little white collar welfare work to the aerospace engineers who could easily go work for Brand X.

See there you are wrong it takes much less energy to lift off the moon than earth.

The escape velocity of Earth is 11.19 km/s. The escape velocity of Moon is 2.38 km/s. As you can see launcing something from the moon is far easier. And you have a ready source of fuel right there for the mining. Think how much larger you could make payloads from the moon.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
You are a victim of the simple thinking mindset.

And you have a ready source of fuel right there for the mining.

Do you see fuel tanks sitting on the Moon?
Do you see fuel processing facilities right next to them?
Do you see a mining conglomerate across the crater?
Does this mining company have powered bull dozers and backhoes?

This doesn't even take into account what it takes to build a spaceship on the Moon.
Even our great grand children will not see spaceships built on the Moon.
Come back to Earth and get real.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Completely agree. This funding and the mission would lead to all kinds of new technologies as well. Just like the Apollo days spawned all kinds of new tech and advancements. That is something people should do if they really cared. Sadly, perhaps right now they have other things in mind that don't help people very often, unless not helping people puts them under that rare spotlight in the public's eye.

The early astronauts all talked about space missions and what new ones can do for advancing science and society, especially Buzz Aldrin.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent

This doesn't even take into account what it takes to build a spaceship on the Moon.
Even our great grand children will not see spaceships built on the Moon.
Come back to Earth and get real.

little harsh. having the will and funds to research such solutions will eventually be needed, which is better than giving up before you even try.

3d printing could provide solutions.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: samkent
See there will be because of one simple factor. There is money to be made on the moon. You get access to rare-earth elements. You will also get solar farms going up and that energy being beamed back to earth. Then there is just the ability to get hyrogen fairly easily. You can actually set up a robot that can make it for you before you even get there. And the biggest thing may very well be giving us what we need from fusion reactors, helium-3 is perfect for fusion and we have an abundant supply on the moon.

This could get rid of all fossil fuels on earth and give us a safe alternative. So hopefully within the next 100 years we could change how we get the energy we need.So the moon may be our biggest hope of fighting global warming.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: rickymouse
I suppose they will want the money from a covid19 stimulus package.

We are broke as hell, why are they spending billions on that?

Cause the benefits outweigh the shortfalls.

What benefit will we have to go to the moon again? It cost a lot to go there before, and it only stimulated the economy of big aerospace companies, it did not benefit the people of the country at all other than to make us feel like we were superior to other countries.....I said Feel, it was a false sense of pride....The moon is there, we now know it is not made of cheese, that is all we really need to do.

Give me one logical benefit of us going back there, one that benefits American Citizens and justifies all that money being spent. They say twenty eight billion....that means fifty billion.

I believe Firefighters and my back while I'm asleep want to have a word with you...

Thermal blankets. The silvery space blanket often worn by marathon runners and emergency patients was also born from the Apollo 11 mission. ...
Advanced cameras. ...
Fireproof firefighter uniforms. ...
Vacuum-sealed food. ...
Shock-absorbing sneaker soles..

I could go on, last I checked almost everyone on the planet uses these?

posted on Oct, 20 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   

So many reasons and the way to make it profitable definitely have a permanent base and do construction and manufacturing. Imagine autonomous robotics gathering resources, using 3-d printing to build basic structures, astronauts finishing, and pressurizing the structures for permanent habitation. YES on solar power farms potential Moon orbital station is likely needed. Aint gonna lie Id volunteer for a stint,

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join