It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BT and Rural Broadband - Broadband: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 03:28 AM
link   
So, serious questions:

1.Why is rural broadband more susceptible to "single high-level impulse noise (SHINE)" than urban broadband?

2. Why would it have taken BT 18 months to identify this as the source of the problem in a village?

3. Why did BT wait until after "a cable replacement programme failed to fix the issue" to run a detailed investigation, ie. have someone with a spectrum analyser wander round the village?

4. Did BT pay for a new TV for the "mortified" housholder who agreed to swith his old TV off and never switch it on again?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Haha, I asked myself the same questions on the commute this morning.

A mate of mine was involved with the rollout below and I've already suggested he offers his services

www.theguardian.com...

To be honest, working in West Wales used to a cracking day out as there used to be patchy 3G as well. What do you meant you couldn't get hold of my mobile?

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa
I thought it may have been due to "single high-level impulse tosh (SHINE)" currently being passed off as BBC programming ?

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tie No Bows!
I thought it may have been due to "single high-level impulse tosh (SHINE)" currently being passed off as BBC programming ?

Do you maybe mean SLIP?

Sh1te low intellect programming??

Britain’s got no broadband.
No streaming on Ice.

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Tie No Bows!

Is this where they get the saying "Can't tell sh**e from Shinola" from?

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Some people do not know when they are lucky 4Mbps from that article , i would have danced with delight at that speed years ago
when i got sky broadband my speed was 1.8 Mbps and you could not get even 2g mobile signal in the area , it is a interesting take with the television though i bet there will be a flurry of people digging out old sets or buying them from charity shops to mess with 5g after reading that

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Good old ElReg on the case now

www.theregister.com...

“As a final resort we decided to bring in a crack squad of engineers from the Chief Engineers Office who were based in other parts of the UK to investigate,” said Openreach engineer, Michael Jones. “Accommodation was understandably hard to find due to the Covid-19 lockdown but we did eventually manage to find a guest house with a field near Llandrindod Wells, so the team camped there and made the 55-mile journey to early the next morning.”

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Most of BT's work now is subcontracted and as such they'll be sent with a 'job sheet' to do a certain task and so long as its done and passes muster its closed and also you will end up with probably never the same engineer turning up for the job which means everyone starts at point zero.

A lot of the engineers now don't really have much experience and the only thing they do need is a driving license and the ability to go up ladders. These sort of problems are the sort of once a decade things that would of in the olden days been the talk of the entire engineering shop but theres very little passing on of knowledge now.

Probably the problem was known about ages ago but you hit the bean counter wall of ignoring problems is cheap and someone probably has finally got hold of someone high up the managerial tree and thus action has been made to happen.

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Sadly I know this to be true.

BT = Bonus Takers.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Doxanoxa
a reply to: Maxatoria

Sadly I know this to be true.

BT = Bonus Takers.

Not with this kid , i get all my services from them Unlimited broadband , house phone line , unlimited mobile calls ,text and mobile internet all unlimited for £ 17 a MONTH and great customer service and you can use the free wifi anywhere in the country plus have 15 people /devices on it all for free
with no download limits

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The things you can figure out from a radio 2 phone in

top topics

join