It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beans, the ever loving dish!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Love us some beans, so decided to whip up a batch. Makin' a batch of my famous beans with chicken.
Recipe goes pretty much as follows...
This is a cast iron dutch oven recipe...the only way.

Beans
- Soak the beans (pintos in this case) min. 3 hrs or overnight, then dump, rinse and rinse again.
- Toss in a medium chopped white onion, or a couple small ones, diced.
- (5) Strips of smoked, thick cut bacon.
- (2) Bay leaves
- (5) Cloves garlic
- (1) small can of Hatch chilies (hot to mild, your choice)
- 1 Tbsp of kosher salt
- 2 Tsp of black pepper
- (2) fire roasted tomatoes (or 1 can...optional)
- Salsa (as much as ya' like)
- Cover the beans and goodies with 1" of water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and partially cover.
- Simmer for 3-3.5 hours
While all that's going on...

Chicken
- Marinate (2) chicken breasts in olive oil, garlic, tomato sauce (I use El Pato w/ Jalapenos), some cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, etc (to taste).
- Long before the beans are done, grill the chicken. You can grill it until it's done, but not overdone.
- When the chicken cools, dice it into large chunks and add it to the beans and other goodies and cook for the balance of time.

Garnish
- Garnish with some sliced green onions and cheese (everybody has cheese, right?). Cilantro is also an option.

ENJOY!!!!!
đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

ETA - Oh yeah...and CORNBREAD!!!
edit on 9/20/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Those beans look really good, although I'd have to remove the hot peppers.
Maybe serve sans chicken with burgers.

Then, do the chicken and serve with rice.

Two meals for the price of one thread

Thanks, FCD!!!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   
No hot peppers in the beans (wife is hot pepper adverse), just mild green chiles (Hatch). I can add hot peppers later, to my dish. This way everyone can eat it.

I'm a pepper head, but I understand others are not, so peppers can be added later and still be good.

In fact, tonight, I will add some of my Ghost peppers to the beans, but just mine.

Oh, and then there's the delicious CORNBREAD (homemade) to go with the beans and everything!

YAAAooooooH!

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Hey FCD!! Can you soak the beans in beer? Corona beer?

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

Hey FCD!! Can you soak the beans in beer? Corona beer?

Heh, I suppose you could! You'd still have to rinse them off at the end of the soak. There are toxins in beans and soaking gets rid of those toxins, so if you soaked them in beer, you'd still have to rinse them thoroughly.

I don't rinse them long, but I do rinse them long enough to get the soak water off of them (beer or otherwise). Generally, beans swell up to about 2x their orignal size during soaking.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
mmmmmm...Ham and beans, cornbread and fried potatoes with some garden fresh tomato slices on the side.

Guess what David is having for dinner tomorrow night.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Weren't you growing ghost peppers this year??
edit on Sun Sep 20 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Just made pasta tonight using with Cannellini beans and white wine, Garlic, basil, pepper. pasta of choice and still to date is Bucatini. You can not slurp this pasta.... I've vehemently tried. However you can suck the juice with Bucatini.

edit on 20-9-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Always read your recipes and save them and try them when we can.

Love beans and peas any kind mostly, lentils to even a northern beans, Tonight we had back beans with a can of diced tomatoes mixed with ground turkey. I'm on a restricted diet and damn it was excellent made up some burritos with sour cream and cheese. Still my favorite are just field peas or crowder peas cooked with bacon or ham simmered nice and long served witha chunk of raw onion and a slice of tomato and of course an iron skillet full of well done corn bread.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Weren't you growing got peppers this year??

I assume you meant the ghost peppers.

Not sure if he was but the Reapers are ready here. Took 2 years.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

That sounds amazing....if I was in your neck of the woods,I'd be at your door right now.

I have been trying to gain weight all week and have been eating McDonalds and Chef Boyardee.
Still can't gain a pound!!
Those beans might make me toot but it is good protein and a tasty sounding recipe.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Yes, thanks!!!!
I was so surprised to learn that some peppers take two years like that.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
I had to look that pasta up.
NOt easy to find here unless you go to an Italian market.
Would be amazing with a good gravy!!!!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I was / am...dang critters ate my lonely (2) Trinidad Scorpions right as they got ripe, but I got a ton of Ghost peppers, probably about 75-80 this year off my (3) plants.

I didn't put any of those in the beans, way too hot. Wife unit doesn't like flaming hot peppers. I probably should have added some to mine afterwards, but it was so good I forgot...and then I was full.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Glad you got a goodly harvest.
What kind of critters would eat something that HOT? Surely they have taste buds.......

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Send me one,I will give you an address in a PM
I have done ghost pepper chicken wings and eaten the whole pepper (was a rough night).....I would love to try something hotter than a ghost pepper.
My butt didn't feel good and I had to soak my butt in cold water, but I love hot things.

My Pm is available if you can send it.

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I know, I couldn't believe it either! Both times, right as they got ready to pick, I came out in the morning and the stem was bitten off just below the pepper and the pepper itself was gone. I guess some critters are immune to the heat. I lost some of the last Ghosts to this critter too. I don't know what it is, but I'm thinking it's a porcupine (cuz one of the dogs got nailed by a porcupine about a month ago). I never saw it though, so I don't know for sure who ate them. I guess I could put a game cam out there next year.

Pretty soon though, the Ghosts and the Scorpion plants are coming inside to over-winter. I doubt I'll get any more this year. They really shut down after it snowed here a couple weeks ago. I'd brought them inside for that event, but I think the plants knew. They don't seem to be growing much now.

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Well, I would, but I picked the last Ghost about 1.5 weeks ago, and I'm drying all of them, so they're already strung up and drying. My plan is to crush them up to use as a seasoning. Also, because of the "critter", I didn't get to try any of the (2) Scorpions I got this year. The "critter" ate both of them.

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   
A favorite food for me when I was a child was white pea beans (smaller than navy beans) cooked in ham hock broth with rivels added when the beans are finished cooking.

For those that are not familiar with rivels.

top topics

join