It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid actually warmed the Earth just a Tad... Oops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Some of the latest papers published which up to now have mostly been ignored . Bottom line is If the Ice melts in to polar regions the earth's oceans will shut down the ocean conveyor belt of heat causing Europe and other places to freeze .. Not nice.. earth really is self regulating in many surprising ways IMO.

Also with the shut down due to COVID, parked cars, plane, trains etc etc...guess what?? the earth actually warmed a tad bit !! The video has the published papers .
doi.org... Fast climate responses to aerosol emission reductions during the COVID‐19 pandemic

Abstract

The reduced human activities and associated decreases in aerosol emissions during the COVID‐19 pandemic are expected to affect climate. Assuming emission changes during lockdown, back‐to‐work and post‐lockdown stages of COVID‐19, climate model simulations show a surface warming over continental regions of the Northern Hemisphere. In January–March, there was an anomalous warming of 0.05–0.15 K in eastern China, and the surface temperature increase was 0.04–0.07 K in Europe, eastern U.S. and South Asia in March–May. The longer the emission reductions undergo, the warmer the climate would become. The emission reductions explain the observed temperature increases of 10–40% over eastern China relative to 2019. A southward shift of the ITCZ is also seen in the simulations. This study provides an insight into the impact of COVID‐19 pandemic on global and regional climate and implications for immediate actions to mitigate fast global warming.

youtu.be...

edit on 727thk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I'll stop at the truck stop in Denver and have a new T-shirt made.

COVID
IS
COOL

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The title and the text you quoted contradict each other.

Your title says the earth cooled, the text states the opposite (warmer).

I may just be confused by translation though, I leave that possibility open.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

So if I’m reading this correctly, a slight reduction of emissions over a few months had a measurable effect on global warming.

Doesn’t this mean that all of the proposed draconian green new deals are way overkill?

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Doesn’t this mean that all of the proposed draconian green new deals are way overkill?

That's what I got from it. Which is why I'm getting a T-shirt to spark all
manner of conversation in the diners. lol I might get to sound smart. lol

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
The title and the text you quoted contradict each other.

Your title says the earth cooled, the text states the opposite (warmer).

I may just be confused by translation though, I leave that possibility open.

hahaha nope you are correct and I changed the title.. The mind is a mysterious thing especially when it is not working !!

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Haha alright, you made me question my language skills so I was a bid confused if I got everything wrong.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

This seems to support the "global dimming" theory-
If we were to stop all emissions today,the earth would supposedly warm up for a few centuries,as the particulate matter we pump into the atmosphere through burning fossil fuels actually prevents some warming as it prevents or "dims" the sunlight from warming the planet.

So even by going fully non carbon using,we are still in for some massive,possibly existential threats to our amazing biosphere.

Mother nataure may not be able to "talk" to us two legs directly,but she sure as hell can get her point across when she wants.
And her point is?

Humans,you are doing it wrong if you wanna hang out here long term.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So if I’m reading this correctly, a slight reduction of emissions over a few months had a measurable effect on global warming.

No, it means that the climate models are accurate.

There are two different categories of emissions that need to be considered. The first is greenhouse gases like CO2. Once CO2 is put into the atmosphere, it takes hundreds of years for the natural processes to reduce the concentration. During that time the greenhouse effect causes the surface temperature to rise.

The second effect is cooling due to aerosols reflecting sunlight back into space. With the normal amount of human activity, we produce a certain amount of aerosols that keeps the average surface temperature a little cooler than it would otherwise be. When you stop producing aerosols, the ones that are in the air settle out pretty quickly, more sunlight makes it to the surface, and the surface temperature is a little higher than it was in normal times.

Simple physics.

We’re actually experiencing the same effect in reverse here in the Western states where we are under the smoke plumes from all the wild fires. The surface temperature is as much as 10 degrees cooler than it would normally be this time of year. As soon as the rainy season starts, the smoke will be washed out and temperatures will return to normal.

This is how geoengineering works—inject aerosols high in the atmosphere to reflect sunlight back into space, and the surface temperature goes down.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Human intervention into large scale natural processes has a mixed track record at best. I personally don't think we have enough data to jump forward into any plan designed to significantly affect the climate. But I probably won't live long enough to see the massive damage if people decide to do it.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Here in western Misery (Missouri), the sky is hazy, the sun is less bright than it should be, and after the afternoon highs, the temps drop fast. A couple of days ago, I saw a shrub in fall colors along a local highway. It feels like mid-October, not mid-September. I blame the west coast fires, and that my friends, means COOLING.
edit on 20-9-2020 by Lazarus Short because: doo doo doo

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

wonder if all the people staying home, using electricity running air conditioners and other appliances, from non nuke coal burning plants have any thing to do with it?

from the PDF that is linked from your source.

Black carbon (BC) heats the atmosphere through absorbing solar radiation (Bond et al., 2013; Yang et al., 2017b) and influences the East Asian monsoon and frequency of the extreme ENSO events through thermodynamic and dynamic feedbacks (Lou et al., 2019a,b). BC can enhance the Arctic amplification when depositing on ice or snow surfaces
Fast climate responses to aerosol emission reductions during the COVID-19 pandemic

and a link for black carbon,

Black carbon is the sooty black material emitted from gas and diesel engines, coal-fired power plants, and other sources. It comprises a significant portion of particulate matter or PM, which is an air pollutant. Black carbon is a global environmental problem that has negative implications for both human health and our climate. Inhalation of black carbon is associated with health problems including respiratory and cardiovascular disease, cancer, and even birth defects. Black carbon also contributes to climate change causing changes in patterns of rain and clouds. Research findings and technical support will be provided to other EPA offices, the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (GACC), the Partnership for Clean Indoor Air (PCIA) and other partners to: Set global standards for cleaner stoves and fuels Improve current stove designs while taking socio-economic costs into account for those affected. As black carbon deposits in the Arctic, the particles cover the snow and ice, decreasing the Earth’s ability to reflect the warming rays of the sun, while absorbing heat and hastening melt.
Black Carbon Research

one more black carbon link,

Snow covered regions are the most vulnerable to the warming effects of black carbon, and any particles reaching them are of concern if they are darker than snow, because they can reduce reflectivity and speed melting. Glaciers are melting in the Andes, the Rocky Mountains, the Canadian Rockies, the Alps, the Himalayas and around the world. As glaciers melt and retreat, the ice melt that during the dry season feeds the rivers that supply irrigation systems will dwindle. The glaciers of the Himalayas and the Tibetan Plateau sustain the rivers of China and India and are critical to the fresh water and food supplies of these two countries.

The Damaging Effects of Black Carbon

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Boomer my friend if the models are correct on this, it will be the first time IMO they have been right about just about anything climate related as evidenced by past forecast. We have not had the complete data to input to make the models accurate; incomplete data makes for wrong answers/forecast. hahaha my opinion and I am sticking to it !!

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Correlation does not imply causation.

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
So are you saying COVID and the lockdowns were planned, to show that the pollution in our Air is slowing down some sort of other natural warming?

So keep spraying the skies?

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 05:54 AM
link   
More on the shut down and the warming as a result. Seems to me those who want us to go back and live like the middle ages has everything backwards. youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   

But this is what happened on 9-11 too.

Without all the planes in the sky creating cloud cover, the temperature went up.

top topics

join