It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, I’m struggling

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark42

Mr Gates is now concentrating on Windows 10.

Sorry but... what!!??

Just... WHAT!!??

Not meaning to detract from the topic... but what was just said is about as misinforming as my post is detractful from the topic.

Mr Gates is not concentrating on anything but vaccines and outbreaks alongside the Gates foundation.
edit on 20-9-2020 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

You're beating the hell out of a dead horse

I understand what you're doing but moving your cache isn't going to give you but maybe a fraction of a second's difference in boot time. You can eliminate the cache altogether depending on how much memory you have. 8 gigs is usually plenty for general tasks. 16 gigs is good for gaming and that's even still a lot left over. You wont utilize it unless you're doing some heavy lifting on your rig. You can delete your pagefile altogether along with dumping any browser cache on program exit. Though, unless you have a reasonable about of memory, I wouldn't really recomend it, not if you're trying to speed thing up.

It's counter productive. Many of the files that windows uses are also in said cache and other software you may have running from boot. They'll have to recreate files which also takes an amount of time so you're really not doing anything to help your system unless you have a huge pagefile with mad amounts of cache.

If you want a fast rig, if you haven't already, invest in an SSD. There are all sorts out there. Of course, you will always pay for speed so be prepared.

I'm using a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2. I'm getting extremely close to the advertised 3500 MBps Read and 3300 MBps Write speeds. I also have a secondary I use for all of my steam games and only the operating system goes on the first M2. I get a pretty quick boot of a few seconds. I never really timed it. When I walk in my living room, by the time I press the power button on the way to the couch, it's already in Windows as soon as the mouse and keyboard are in my hand.

Just a thought.

edit on 21-9-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Internet browsers intensively use a folder on your hard disk for temporary data — browser cache. There are various reasons why some users want to relocate this folder. For example, moving the cache to a RAM disk can speed up browsing, offload the HDD, or reduce the wear-and-tear of the SSD.

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Currently learning and running Vivaldi while my operating system is not losing speed after an internet session.
Still many cookies and trackers but like I said before; I got nothing of reel interest or real value but music I spend 25 years on, so I do not really care if someone wants to spy on me as long as it does not affect my system speed or cost me data.
What I had for breakfast got nothing to do with anyone, and no private sensitive data or bank accounts floating around worth stealing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join