It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worldwide Anti-War Protests Due for March 19th

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Here's just one example:

www.unitedforpeace.org...

Does anybody who disagrees with what is happening in Iraq and in their own countries when it comes to the farcical "War On Terror" going out to demonstrate?

Last year up here in Montreal there were about 70,000 people, I am hoping for much of the same this year.

What I REALLY wonder is if this will really receive any media in the United States. I know there have been a ton of arrests at US universities over the past week or so with all those anti-recruitment protests (a couple of students beaten and charged with misdemeanours), and have yet to see anything about it on any media outlet other than in Australia.

What do you think? Does it makes a difference? If you believe in something enough to put your feet to the pavement, should you, even if you know that it's not going to make a huge difference in the end?

jako

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Jakomo]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, Jakomo!

If there is any US media coverage, I'm sure they'll spin it out of control. BTW, there's gonna be a counter protest the same day. I bet the counter protest will turned into the initial event.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A counter-protest? I don't think I've ever heard of a Pro-War Protest.

any links?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Its that time of the year again!

Get your eggs ready, your rotten appels and tomatoes, and lets roll!

I bet american embassies are looking forward to that date!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
If you believe in something enough to put your feet to the pavement, should you, even if you know that it's not going to make a huge difference in the end?

I went to the rally last year in Crawford, TX. Although there was no coverage of the event, I left with a smile on my face and a sense of 'inner' accomplishment. We all know you can't change the world in just one day, but you must be willing to stand up for your beliefs. Typing on an internet forum doesn't seem that productive, does it? But it allows us to share our thoughts and opinions with others who feel similarly. (there are a few boneheads here on ATS
) Attending this anti-war rally will allow you to do the same thing; the only difference is you do it in public.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

A counter-protest? I don't think I've ever heard of a Pro-War Protest.

any links?

Believe me - it exists. My buddy is going up to NYC to protest (of course, he is really going up there because our friend rented out a bar
).

I might just be protesting his protest.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Even though the war still happened, I felt good for having actually put my money where my mouth is, and to have stood together with tens of thousands of like-minded people and voiced our disapproval.

I don't know if it specifically had anything to do with the fact that Canada refused to participate in the invasion, but it sure made me feel like I was at least counted.

As far as "it's the least I can do", it's not the absolute least, but close.

More than most, unfortunately.

Whoever does go, and wherever it is, be careful and make sure you have someone to bail you out of jail in case the police get all gestapo. And don't do anything stupid

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
What exactly is the protest going to be about?

Would you have the U.S. leave immediately from Iraq while they are still taking their first steps towards more freedom and democracy then they have had in at least 50 years? While you may disagree about about some things, would not a stable, multi party democratic Iraq that is learning how to work with the various ethnic/religous groups within itself be in the Iraqi's and the worlds best interest?

The question I always have for people is not whether we should have done this or that, but what do we do Now to help Iraq stablize? Withdrawal of U.S. and coalition forces right now would be extremely counterproductive to the goal of a stable Iraq would it not? Iraq will go through the growing pains that all nations do when democracy and new freedoms start to take hold. It may not be perfect but I never fail to enjoy when a nation's people finally find out that they have the power, not the dictators who had oppressed them.
Is that not a goal worth helping a nation acheive?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The illuminati will have a good chuckle on this day.

Protests dont accomplish anything.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

your right. violent resistance is the only way.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
pavel:

Would you have the U.S. leave immediately from Iraq while they are still taking their first steps towards more freedom and democracy then they have had in at least 50 years? While you may disagree about about some things, would not a stable, multi party democratic Iraq that is learning how to work with the various ethnic/religous groups within itself be in the Iraqi's and the worlds best interest?

Yes, immediately. Let the UN go in with a multi-national peacekeeping force once the US leaves.

Stable, multi-party, democratic Iraq? Judges being killed, politicians slaughtered, policemen ambushed and beheaded, daily carbombs, tens of thousands of dead civilians, what exactly is stable about that?

Iraq was more "stable" when Saddam was in charge, less people dying. It's a fact. And Saddam was a murderous dictator, but the Occupying Army of the US is making him look like a Bush League dictator.

The question I always have for people is not whether we should have done this or that, but what do we do Now to help Iraq stablize? Withdrawal of U.S. and coalition forces right now would be extremely counterproductive to the goal of a stable Iraq would it not? Iraq will go through the growing pains that all nations do when democracy and new freedoms start to take hold. It may not be perfect but I never fail to enjoy when a nation's people finally find out that they have the power, not the dictators who had oppressed them.
Is that not a goal worth helping a nation acheive?

Withdrawal of US troops is the only thing to help. It's starts the process.

They've traded up from a military dictator to a military occupation force that forces curfews EVERY DAY at 6pm. ? Is that not oppression? Or is it like a parent telling a child "it's for your own good".

FYI

Iraq has been around for thousands of years, the Iraqi people are strong enough and smart enough to think for themselves, they don't need you in their country "helping" to liberate them from their oilfields.

jako

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Im sorry but for a day of protest globally how come there isnt much being reported about it.

any links, pics etc... I live in New Jersey and havent heard anything about this except for this post on ATS.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
here's the list of places:
www.unitedforpeace.org...

It says on that link Sunrise Florida is one of the cities where this is supposed to happen....but I haven't heard anything till now and I live here. If I can find out where, I'll go check it out and bring back pics.

[edit on 3-17-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I looked at the cities and towns in NH that will hold protests. Most of them are no more than wide spots in the road.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
Im sorry but for a day of protest globally how come there isnt much being reported about it.

any links, pics etc... I live in New Jersey and havent heard anything about this except for this post on ATS.

Proof of the status of parts of the USA as a burgeoning mushroom farm?

Look at the significance of the date, and other aspects, and which countries will have the biggest protests.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I knew about the March protest for a while, but can we still protest openly or is going to be relegated to protesting pens, I know that is the new trend under the administration.

I wonder.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
protests are good, it is the freedom of expression and speech, to express the concerns of what is goin on with the world.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by General Zapata

Originally posted by dgtempe

your right. violent resistance is the only way.

I agree.
On the 19th of March everybody will go and march for peace, and on 20th of March nobody will know about that anymore.
Sad but true.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
hmmm protests don't work much, but i wonder why Syria would pullout after some almost a million Lebanese protested without firing a shot. if i remember, Gandi the leader of the Indian people expel the British Empire and made the Brits agree to recognize India's independence and all Gandi did was sat with legs cross and meditate. yeah it depends which one can solve better, either violence or protests.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If enough people get together they can accomplish their goals. It is better to participate in something that you strongly believe in rather than sit on the sideline and do nothing.

Their is a protest planned in my home town. I think I will go and protest against the protesters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join