It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Career Advice from Joe Biden - Become a Coder or a Quartermaster.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: carewemust

Wtf is a quartermaster?! Lol
In multilayer games the quartermaster gets to determine the loot sharing.
... Is biden recommending people go on raids and need to find a Latino to divy out the loot?

Didn't it use to be the staff officer who arranged quartering for troops on campaign?

These days, in the U.S. Army, it is the officer responsible for logistics.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: camain
I "coded" back when Assembler and COBOL were the thing. Wasn't my cup of tea though. Cubicles and bosses drove me nuts.

Care, you get my nod of respect. Neither of those languages were particularly fun to code in.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'm shocked and sickened that miners only make $75k in the USA.

They should come to Canada to work and make an actual decent salary.
At my mine, underground miners start at $100k.

It's a dangerous profession and requires the employee to be on the ball from the second they step foot into the underground.
It's not for everybody.
It's physically demanding And requires extensive safety training and standards.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Yeah, that used to be what the quartermaster did - secure and organize supplies and provisions. But you have to admit it was a strange thing to say, even stranger to then equate to a career in the women's dept. of a department store which isn't exactly what most people think of as high paying.

Well, I worked in the women's dept. of a department store right out of college and it's not a highly charged career. I was in charge of the floor, not just a worker, and it still didn't make a whole lot.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

In some states, $75K is a good living. It all depends on cost of living where you are at. Not to mention the average salary in the US is only around $55 to $56K.

edit on 16-9-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
At my mine, underground miners start at $100k.

Yeah, but once you convert that to American currency it works out to five colored rocks and a chicken.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: CopeLongCut
Many computer-related positions pay at least $75k @ year, and are safer, healthier, for the most part.

Depends on where you live I supppose. In Michigan over the last 31 years that I've been in IT I've never seen positions getting that much unless you're in upper management or an expert at coding. Most IT jobs are in the sub-50k range by far.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

ket, you get my nod of respect as well for your work experience.

I recall once getting an inkling of how low the pay was for jobs in stores. For managerial positions, that seems to be not right as I'm sure there are occasions where those people have to think in terms of organization and priorities to make the shopping experience easy and pleasant for the customers.

I knew people in Germany who worked the stores. Their pay wasn't great, and in many of the smaller stores, it was "black" employment, meaning no taxes but no health insurance either. I'm convinced Europe has a huge black economy, in all the EU countries.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, but the chicken can be brought down to Uncle Sid's, Cock-O-Fight-O ring.
Can easily double your coloured rocks.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

My friend codes for a well-known banking firm, he makes over $200k a year and once his current contract is complete can easily get himself another position.

How was the transition from coal mining for him?

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

He actually went from financial investment to programming by attending night classes.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

He actually went from financial investment to programming by attending night classes.

So he wasn't a miner?
He did not follow Joe's playbook.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

So he wasn't a miner?
He did not follow Joe's playbook.

His company was mining people's earnings, that's for sure.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Here is your Hero Cookie 🍪

I think it's common knowledge that programmers can make bank.

The question, I think, is whether a person can transition from Pick-axe to SDK.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Why not? Are you saying that miners are too stupid?

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Why not? Are you saying that miners are too stupid?

Not at all.

The length of time to learn the skills and transition to employment that will pay a wage comparable with what they made Mining, is too long.

Would be much faster and possibly more lucrative to do a sideways transition within a related Industry Sector.

Biden just gives bad advice...

Is a Coder too stupid to Coal Mine? No, but I wouldn't wanna go down in the Mine with him when he starts planting explosives....

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   

The length of time to learn the skills and transition to employment that will pay a wage comparable with what they made Mining, is too long.

My friend took an eight month course, if you think eight months is too long to make six figures I guess that's on you.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
Biden told the attendees that he heard there was quite a demand for stagecoach drivers and blacksmiths.

You must have heard the entire press conference. I take it there were REAL people asking the questions? (As opposed to those he waved at, when departing the airplane.)

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: camain
Biden doesn't have a damn clue.

Camain

Flying in the military for 28 years I gained skills that allow me to think very quickly in some areas and to process information very fast. When I retired this carried me forward in a new direction that my skill sets help me be very successful.

When you look at a coal miner as example what skill sets does mining coal support them to be coders? I'm amazed at how many people can not do even simple math in their heads and Biden thinks coding is an easy transition? lol

He might as well suggest they become a foreign language teacher in a language they do not know yet...

BTW the coders I know live and breath coding as it is their life...for the rest of us "normal" people it would be a living hell...

edit on 16-9-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   

My friend codes for a well-known banking firm, he makes over $200k a year and once his current contract is complete can easily get himself another position.

Thank-you. Sounds like the demand for Coders is tremendous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join