It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid-19 masks and skin problems.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 01:16 AM
link   
For a few days I've been noticing this redness and teeny-tiny pimples around my nose.
Then I think, my forehead is all dry, and parts of my beard have been red and itchy for weeks.

I was first thinking, is it allergy or am I suddenly reacting badly to my meds?

No, it's most likely "Maskne" (a neologism of "mask" and "acne") from the mask or scarf I've got to wear over my mouth and nose:

The skin around the nose, mouth and chin — the places covered by a face mask — is very delicate, Chien explains. “One thing we’re seeing more often these days is perioral dermatitis, a condition similar to rosacea,” Chien says. People with perioral dermatitis have recurring bouts of a red, bumpy rash around their mouth and chin. The area around the eyes can be affected, too.

www.hopkinsmedicine.org... nxZjXtPVVsjFd6bTBmCLEbE_jXxa1FsjMp-MpeuoFg

edit on 16-9-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   
breathing in Carbon Monoxide is not advised.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Well judging by the pics on Google (which range from mild to yikes!) Perioral dermatitis is exactly what I have.
en.wikipedia.org...

Never had this before.
I blame the mask, and one can see exactly the border where it goes.

OK these masks were fun and exciting at first, but I'm starting to think it's time to stop it.

You got a germ-catcher right over your breathing apparatus, and your breath is making it nice and warm for them.
Never mind the fungi and micro-bacteria on your face that would normally harm nobody, but now they have a cosy incubation system.
Don't be surprised if you get "Facezilla"!

The first rule of survival is surely - don't put stuff over your mouth and nose!

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It seems from my OP article that the condition was previously little understood by clinicians (except where certain creams were over-used).

So to see an increase in the condition to such an extent that doctors anecdotally call it "Maskne" (the acne of of the masks) is quite alarming.

Will it ever go away again?
Or will we see virtually the entire 2020 generation bearing "Maskne" faces?

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Maybe you should try a face shield instead? Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Nice organic fruit and veg shopping, but dear lady did you know your mask may have been exposed to formaldehyde?

"My mask ... no. Maybe the people next door"?

Yes your mask, because the clothing material you have on your face wasn't ever meant to be there.
www.diva-portal.org...:850089/FULLTEXT02.pdf

Conventional cotton is grown with genetically modified seeds and sprayed heavily with Roundup (in which the primary ingredient is glyphosate, linked to cancer) and other toxic pesticides—and these persist in the fabric even after manufacturing. Many textiles also contain chlorine bleach, formaldehyde, VOCs (volatile organic compounds), PFCs (perfluorinated chemicals), ammonia, and/or other harmful chemicals. Add to that heavy metals, PVC, and resins, which are involved in dyeing and printing processes.

goop.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Face-shields: they weren't so much on sale here during the entire lock-down.

I think it was first going to the personnel who needed them.

Now I've seen them on sale, and yip that's what I'm going for next.

I'm not saying no alternatives, I've just become aware of something that even yesterday I never considered.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I got a hellish amount of breakout around my mouth and chin. Took antibiotics to clear it. They were not sure if it was shingles or impetigo but said it could be due to wearing the fabric N95 filtered mask all day every day at work as it changes the skin flora and environment. So now I only wear it when I have to (that is go in shops)

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
Face-shields: they weren't so much on sale here during the entire lock-down.

I think it was first going to the personnel who needed them.

Now I've seen them on sale, and yip that's what I'm going for next.

I'm not saying no alternatives, I've just become aware of something that even yesterday I never considered.

Your clear plastic face face Shields is your best bet.
Wearing those masks that are made in China that you buy $50 for maybe $10 now they are not really good for you maybe 5 minutes 10 minutes 20 minutes going into the store shopping coming back out taking it off that is quite bearable but to wear them 3 to 5 hours at a time at work I would not recommend it whereas one of those clear plastic face Shields and wear a bandana if you feel it's necessary YouTube has all the bandana face masks that you need to learn how to make very simple two hair bands and a bandana and you got yourself a face shield that will cover your mouth and nose.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Well, I had a mask ... it's a long story.
But thought things would be better with a bandana.
Besides, I'm having a whale of a time going to the bank like this, and nobody bats an eyelash:

Clearly not as ideal as I thought, although compared to the camo mask, people actually told me I look good.
Put it in the wash for now.
The plastic thingie - I'm sure it must have some drawbacks too.
It's still "in your face".

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

For me it's the glue, I switched to cloth masks that are sewed. Had to wear them at my former job for a few hours and got bad bad rashes.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Maybe you should try a face shield instead? Just a thought.

We aren't allowed to wear face shields without also wearing a mask underneath it at work unless we get an exemption from head office. One employee wanted to just wear the shield and she was no longer able to work until head office "evaluated" her condition and gave her the ok.

I seriously am tired of the nonsense.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I got a silk mask and it is working very well. It's hard to tell if I even got it on. $16. on Amazon. Mulberry silk mask came with 3 paper filters. I don't use them . I did the match test without them in, and it passed that test. It is very soft and I can breath better with it.

posted on Sep, 17 2020 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I have never had boils in my nose before masks wearing. My son has been diagnosed with somethingisuium that has given him hard pimples wherever a facemask is at. It is like hard pimples filled with sand. It does not hurt him but it has caused me to not wear a mask. Beyond tired of the hysteria the media has played this hoax out. The hospitals are not full. The only comorbidity is the risk.
edit on 9/17/2020 by staple because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join