It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Now don't think I'm sounding suicidal or something by asking this-I'm not. I just wonder what the whole point was/is in human creation? I think, or hope we all have a mission or purpose in existing here as humans. But really do we? If it's just to be born, live life, work, believe or not believe, see things that others think you are crazy for seeing or believing, or seeing nothing at all, then create another life or lives and then teach them or tell them what we've seen and done-then die and do it all over again-then is there something I *personally* am missing here..because I really don't see the point?

It's like this, I create something, a recipe or something and then I put it all together, cook it and eat it, then it's gone and if it was good and others liked it, I'm sure I'll create it again, so what was the purpose? I created something that wasn't really *necessary* but it was an idea and it was good, but now it's gone. Well that's kind of how I feel about *us*(humans)-life..Why did He do it?
Did He realize what we would become? Did He know that some would believe and some not? Did He choose for some to witness certain things and others not? Well why? If we all go to heaven anyway, then what is the point of us ever being created in human form? Why not just create us to live in heaven from the get go, and avoid all the mess this world has become?

*If someone out here feels as though we have a higher purpose/mission then I'm currently seeing, then feel free to share..*
Magestica

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Three purposes for the return of souls to this world : To collect into the soul the properties of all being , to acquire knowledge of all things , to acquire the power to overcome chaos.

I have often wondererd the same thing myself, Mag. And this is the best I have to offer.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Life is not a process of discovering, but a process of creating.

You are here to experience and to create one's Self. To be Who You Are and to find out Who You Want To Be.

Simple and to the point.

No "Grand Plans" no "conspiracy", no "implications"......

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:55 AM
link   
That's good, but is there a point? Seriously, if we are here to learn and aquire knowledge, then why is it so difficult to believe the things we *NEED* to believe in order to move on? Why did He create us in a world full of mysteries that surround Him and all of those He created? It seems more like a game for Him, then a meaning for us. It seems as though we were destined to be cursed anyway...so again, what's the point??
Magestica

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Life is not a process of discovering, but a process of creating.

You are here to experience and to create one's Self. To be Who You Are and to find out Who You Want To Be.

Simple and to the point.

No "Grand Plans" no "conspiracy", no "implications"......

regards
seekerof

Again though, why? If that's all life is about is creation, then I guess He initially created life, so that we could just continue to do so ourselves. Is that what you are saying? We are here for no other purpose then to create a bunch of life? So that we can die and be reborn again? That seems so meaningless, if you look at it through someones eyes that's unable to create life. Wow we are here to create , though some can't and so that leaves them to discover and experience. Experience what? Sadness, illness, wealth, confusion, happiness, curiosity etc..? Then we die and do it all over again? So then why did He bother if there was no point?
No great purpose?

I just would like to know, why didn't He just skip this part and avoid some of the terrible things that have happen and how the world has become and move on to the next? Ya know, the part where we all unite in heaven and we're all happy and walking the clouds with God? Would seem to me then, since He didn't skip that part, then there is certainly more to life then what *I'm* seeing? There has to be more of a reason then what you've stated *Seeker*?
Mag

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Mag, creating is more than a relative term used to describe "creating a bunch of life."

If one believes in a Greater Thought or a Greater Being or God, one has to look beyond the confines and definitions that we are accustomed to using for interpretation.

We are individuals that are part of a greater "organism". That greater "organism" is Mankind/Humankind and Mankind is part of a even Greater "organism" called God. Imagine, if you will, that God has all, needs nothing, requires nothing. But in His existence and in all His creations, He is a Source, a place of beginning and a final destination. God knows All but lets narrow the view a bit.......God knows Love; He created it, defined it, expresses it, but one thing is lacking in that equation, the ability to experience that Love. In creating us, His children, His likeness and image, He, in turn, created Himself, a part of His self, so that through our experiences God would be allowed to experience what the Love really is.

Mag, creating and experiencing is far, far more than creating Life. Creating and experiencing is within Life itself. Perhaps, creating a life, a baby, is one of the highest forms of experiencing creating in its true form but Mag, living Life, itself, is the ultimate form of creating and experiencing Self. Creating and experiencing covers All areas, even those that can't express it in the form of a creating a baby. Life has a far more deeper meaning than a creation of life....its the matter of one's Life itself.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 13-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Actually, there is no point to life.

There isn't a general purpose neither for mankind nor for the individual, life doesn't have a point.

Unfortunately there isn't a path to follow in life ande there is no higher existence to set or create a path for us to follow. Life is what it is, Birth, sleep, work, eat, death, or rather, life is what you make of it, and life's purpose is the one you want to set.

I for example am a Nihilist, I believe in no purpose for life and yet I have my own goals, the difference between me and people who believe there is a "general" purpose to life is that I admit my purpose to life is completely uninportant at a global scale.

As Jean-Paul Sartre wisely wrote, Existence precedes Essence, this is, you are what you make of your life, and your essence isn't something born with you, apart from your own human essence there is nothing else born with you, this aplies to a purpose in life too, I'm sorry there's none, unless you create it.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I'm with anti on this one. There is no point to life. You live, you experience your consciousness and then you die/move on. Nothing was supposed to happen and nobody is waiting after your death to either reward or penalize you for things you did or did not do in your lifetime.

I guess if you really wanted to dig deep for meaning or a purpose, you could say that most humans, like all species, are genetically geared to propagate the species. So whatever is required to keep the species moving along, humans will do it. Perhaps not as flowery or grand as we would have liked, but I suppose it's still a purpose nonetheless.

fixx

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
this pretty much sums it all up
www.geocities.com...

AF1

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Why does there need to be a point?

Religion says that we are here to praise and do the work of god. Well, I definetly don't feel like wasting my life on this plane worshipping someone who created us just to feel special.

In the end, I highly doubt that I have some purpose on this planet, other than to just be. I'm also perfectly content with that. I wake up, go to work, hang out with my friends, go to school, and sleep. I wouldn't change any of it.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Point is to come into kingdom of God, and praise God because he gave salvation and eternal joy to those who were righteous.

Well, I definetly don't feel like wasting my life on this plane worshipping someone who created us just to feel special.

We are supposed to receive our existance as a gift, thank him because he made us.

In kingdom of God we will fully see what has our God prepared for us.

Your life seems like wasting, not life of those who praise God because you will have nothing left when you die. (hint: afterlife)

[Edited on 13-7-2003 by Megaquad]

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I believe its the simple things in life that we are here to experience and enjoy. The freedom to learn, explore and believe anything we choose. (Within society's boundaries) To make our decisions count, then be willing to be held accountable for our actions.
I think that because we have so much "eye candy" available to us (via TV,computer,radio etc) available to us that we sometimes get sensory overload.

One might speculate that this was intended to hypnotise or pacify the majority of the population. By the few in power.
We are fortunate to have "free will" and places such as
"Above Top Secret" to search for the truth.

What ever that might be!

[Edited on 12-7-03 by Walt]

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Each and everyone of us must find and discover our own reason for life. Everyone will have different reason for continueing to live, and for each of us the point may not exactly be simular.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Some very opposite views here in this thread. Some seem to think that there is no point and some seem to think there is. I suppose it's all matter of how we as individuals perceive our own life's meaings? You can find me somewhere inbetween, as I want there to be a *real* reason as to why we are here, but sometimes I feel as though there really isn't. We are just here to exist, and that is suppose to be meaning enough. Unfortunately though, not everyone would agree with that. Existing to some, has no meaning or great purpose. Why else would people take their own lives?

If life was so great, then why do we find it so hard to understand? Why give it up so easily? Sometimes, I think people overlook the deeper meanings in life, because it is there that you find emptiness or nothing, no answers no real reason or mission. So in order to avoid feeling that way, some just go about their lives and remain on the surface. Could this be why? Shallow people often neglect the delving deeper into existance because they are afraid of what they might *not* find?

~Mag

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Do you think there is only one truth?
Also, when there is only one truth, what's the point of people's opinion on 'truth' when many of them are false?

I wont preach the 'truth', just a philosophical question.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Time is a form of communication,
Consciousness transcends all states
which can be perceived as matter,
Matter communicates its existence
to consciousness through time.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
That was deep and lovely, but anyone can read that and decide their *own* meaning from it? There could be several meanings to that which you've written, could there not?

So what is your meaning for it? Life is but a circle, we are here, we live, we consume within us all that we've learned and then we are gone only to do it all over again? The neverending circle, until it's time for the circle to be broken?
Magestica

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
No I think there are many truths..obviously, there are many different beliefs, so that would make many truths or just one and all others are living a lie..

This is why I DO believe in many truths, because there's no way we would ever be able to know which is not truth. We just spend eternity hoping the one we believe happnes to be the *right* one..the truth. how sad for those who lived believing in something their whole lives and finding it to be a complete lie, or falsification..this is my whole reason for starting this thread really, because if that last statement were true..then REALLY what is the point?
Mag

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
No I think there are many truths..obviously, there are many different beliefs, so that would make many truths or just one and all others are living a lie..

This is why I DO believe in many truths, because there's no way we would ever be able to know which is not truth. We just spend eternity hoping the one we believe happnes to be the *right* one..the truth. how sad for those who lived believing in something their whole lives and finding it to be a complete lie, or falsification..this is my whole reason for starting this thread really, because if that last statement were true..then REALLY what is the point?
Mag

But that is very illogical, how can there be many truth beliefs when they are clearly in conflict and contradicting with each other.
It sounds terrible that some people are living in a lie, but denying reality wont make it go away.
It's like saying wars didn't happen, that many inoccent children and people didn't die when they did.

I think that all beliefs except one will go away just like things above happend.
Some believe true one is atheism, some claim God exists.. my point is, all of them but one will perish.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
That right there proves it, what you've stated-if true-there is no point! Why would only *some* be living the right one, the truth, while others fully believe they are living in good and living also the truth that brings them to the light of the God they believe in? So which one are you living and believing? Let me guess, the true one? Well ask someone else who believes totally different then you and they would state the same. Would it be fair of God to let them perish because they were lost in what they believed? Isn't God a fair God? Did He not know with all the different nationalities that all would not believe the same? Was it a plan from the beginning?
He created all lives, that are completely different and expected them to all conform to the same belief? Obviously this isn't possible and never was meant to be possible. So I have to disagree with you there..we all live in what we believe and in the long run it leads us all to the same place..
Magestica

top topics

<<   2 >>

join