It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump wants to jail Assange to keep him quiet, extradition hearing told

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well that escalated fast.... right off the bat:

US lawyer Eric Lewis said that at one point in 2010, Mr Trump had called for the death penalty, before changing his view and then later changing it again to be more negative towards Assange and WikiLeaks.

A court heard today that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's extradition trial is a 'politically motivated prosecution' fuelled by Donald Trump's desire to 'keep him quiet' as rumours the President was aided by foreign powers including Russia in the 2016 election continue to plague his 'legitimacy'.

Just to avoid any possible confusion here. Eric Lewis was placed as a witness by Assange's legal team to help make the case against extradition. Assange's lawyers didn't hold back themselves, however;

Assange's lawyer continued: 'WikiLeaks and Mr Assange pose a threat to the legitimacy of Trump's (election) campaign that he is desperate to squash by diverting attention and imprisoning Mr Assange.

Source

Looks like this is the angle the Assange team is willing to base their arguments on. It's pretty clear cut they have no confidence in the Trump administration and their potential handling of Assange. I'm surprised they hadn't started off on the 'non-citizen' argument for Assange? That was something floated around for some time now? But it appears his legal team do not feel this would be a strong enough argument.

The Trump Administration has not been shy about how their intentions here against Assange and Wikileaks;

WikiLeaks 'disgraceful,' there 'should be like death penalty or something'/

Founde r Julian Assange Hit with New Indictment That Alleges Much Broader Conspiracy

Donald Trump, who praised WikiLeaks 141 times, now has 'no opinion' on Julian Assange

UK Pro-Assange Campaign Slams AG Barr's Reissued Extradition Request as 'Jeopardy' for Hearing

And this is just the start.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Wikileaks is a publisher, a news organization, and should have been protected by whistleblower legislation even if it were within the realm of US jurisprudence, which it wasn't.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
You sure it’s so he won’t be Arkancided?

Just a thought.

Kinda like “Can’t we just drone him!?”

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Another rumors thread?

"C'mon, man!"
-Biden

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   

It's funny how the gullible believe that President Trump is the one that wants Assange to stay quiet.

His name was Seth Rich.
edit on 15-9-2020 by SKEPTEK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Another rumors thread?

How's this a rumor? It's reported from the current court case by multiple news sites.
edit on 15-9-2020 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   

US lawyer Eric Lewis said that at one point in 2010, Mr Trump had called for the death penalty, before changing his view and then later changing it again to be more negative towards Assange and WikiLeaks.

This is called hearsay.

A court heard today that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's extradition trial is a 'politically motivated prosecution' fuelled by Donald Trump's desire to 'keep him quiet' as rumours the President was aided by foreign powers including Russia in the 2016 election continue to plague his 'legitimacy'.

For this to be true at all the predicate accusation would also have to be true. This isn't proof of anything substantive at all.

No collusion took place between Trump and the Russians. This is a very strange attack to be leveling at the Trump Administration when Assange's extradition has been sought for several years before Trump took office.

Stop posting nonsense.

It's a rumors thread.
edit on 9 15 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SKEPTEK

It's funny how the gullible believe that President Trump is the one that wants Assange to stay quiet.

It's clear Trump would like to stay quiet altogether.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

This is called hearsay.

Whatever you choose to call this project, it's coming from Assange's legal defense team themselves. It's among their first witnesses on the stand. That says something about their confidence in the Trump Administration. That's the point driven in the OP.

This is a very strange attack to be leveling at the Trump Administration when Assange's extradition has been sought for several years before Trump took office.

Yet it's the Trump administration that continues to escalate the extradition at all costs:
Barrs reissued extradition request puts Assange September hearing in jeopardy

Implicate the Obama Administration if you please, that still doesn't change the facts above. Not sure why it's hard to believe that this administration is after him. Why are you so defensive?
edit on 15-9-2020 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Another rumors thread?

How's this a rumor? It's reported from the current court case by multiple news sites.

Pretty simple actually. Directly from your source:

Mr Lewis, who gave evidence by video link, replied: “It’s an informed assumption putting together the facts and comments from numerous sources.”

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Refer to my previous response to project.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Refer to my previous response to project.

Refer to my previous post

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Whatever you choose to call this project, it's coming from Assange's legal defense team themselves. It's among their first witnesses on the stand. That says something about their confidence in the Trump Administration. That's the point driven in the OP.

I'm calling it what it literally is. Hearsay from 2010 that is irrelevant to anything happening today with criticism based on a demonstrably false narrative.

You go on fighting that good fight.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If true, quite shameful on the part of the President.

Assange should of course be released and compensated for his decade-long troubles.

If true, of course.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   

No need, I made my point.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK

His name was Seth Rich.

What does anything that Assange have really deals with Trump in anyway...lol

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I'm calling it what it literally is. Hearsay from 2010

.....from Assange's legal team, mounted against the Trump Administration. The same Administration under the same president most membership here claim to be on the side of. Take the time to let that sink in. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just being coy here project.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

No need, I made my point.

Do your point is that it's conjecture. As stated in your source.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   

That's neat. No I am not being coy.

Hearsay and an accusation based on a false narrative means nothing to me or anyone else who values logical consistency.

edit on 9 15 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Trump has the Democrat maniacs off on a wild goose chase again 😎🚬🚬

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join