It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: US blocks Tony Blair's forest protection plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
A memo leaked to the BBC outlines a U.S. plan to derail Tony Blair's G8 initiative aimed at curbing illegal logging. Blair want the G8 to develop a plan that requires that all timber purchased by rich nations come from properly managed forests. The memo indicates that the U.S. government will not agree to sign on.

news.bbc.co.uk
A secret US plan to wreck Tony Blair's G8 initiative combating illegal logging in the world's threatened rainforests has been revealed in a State Department memo leaked to the BBC's Newsnight.

Mr Blair wants G8 environment ministers meeting in Derby this week to make rules insisting that all timber bought by official bodies in rich nations comes from properly-managed forests.

The UK was prompted to start the initiative after Indonesian government ministers said corruption in their country was so rampant that they did not have the power to tackle the supply of timber from the criminal gangs pillaging the forests.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The memo also shows a concerted plan to get other countries opposed to it as well. This is one of those things that both side cringe when they see it. First because it became public and for the victim of it, they know that it could happen for them. That being said, even close allies have disagreements and no doubt this will do little to damage the longstanding relationship between the two countries.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
IMO - The wrold's forests require protection, and illegal logging needs to be stopped. The only beneficiaries of the current situation are international corporations. This plan looks like a good one - I hope it flies.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I hope the plan becomes law in spite of objections.
Someone needs to prevent the illegal logging.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Once again and deplorably, the U.S. (seemingly) further entrenches its reputation as an environmental rapist.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Environmental rapist, good phrase

Coming so close to a General Election, I can see this kind of American actions forcing Tony Blair to distance himself from Bush ala Berlusconi.

I'd go so far as to call Bush an environmental terrorist.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by noyhcat
Once again and deplorably, the U.S. (seemingly) further entrenches its reputation as an environmental rapist.

Not the US - it is that nitwit Bush, everyone knows this stupid little man is in the pockets of the coporations...

Good for the corporations, good for the US

Bad for the Coporations = un-american

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Does anyone else find it ironic that the europeans, who have the single worst environmental record of the last two centuries, are now, after destroying 90% of thier own native forests, trying to tell other countres how to manage thier own?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Mr Blair wants G8 environment ministers meeting in Derby this week to make rules insisting that all timber bought by official bodies in rich nations comes from properly-managed forests.

Someone define "official bodies", please.

The UK was prompted to start the initiative after Indonesian government ministers said corruption in their country was so rampant that they did not have the power to tackle the supply of timber from the criminal gangs pillaging the forests.

Harvesting a forest is not a snatch and run operation. It is very labor intensive. It should be a small matter to stop it in it's tracks.

Indonesia should take steps towards moving into the 21st century and put an end to this, and all the hundreds of other forms of corruption that thrive in their country. Stop the weak sister act and get some troops into the forests. That is, unless they want us to come over and stop it for them.

Stop blaming Bush for everything.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The banning of the Ivory trade was the single biggest step in stopping the killing of elephants. Trying to police entire countries was unrealistic and there would always be ways of getting through the cordons.

Blairs plans would be similar but Bush Co. wants their cheap timber ya'll and the Indonesians couldnt possibly guard all their forrests. Have you seen the size of Iryan Jaya? Grab an atlas and have a look, its not feasible for the Indonesians to have soldiers in any numbers in all these places.

Also their Army would easily be bribed as they're not well paid and the Chinese are paying good money for these illegal logs.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The point is, this agreement will do nothing to stop the corruption or the raping of the forests by INDONESIANS.

They must fix the problem or the only thing that will change is the customers for the wood.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
If no one buys their ill gotten wood then there is no point in logging. It worked with Ivory, it will work with poached timber.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Another missed opportunity for the US to step-up and lead a cause the whole world knows is needed. I guess corporate offices just wouldn't be the same without the hard-woods of the worlds rain forests.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Blair should have seen the writing on the wall concerning Bush and his sneeky assed ways. I'm starting to think now for the first time Bush is against everything that does not benifit him or his cronies directly. Bush is asking for a turf battle not only on this issue, but also on the Kyoto Treaty which he just turns his snobbery nose up at. Where does he get off by telling Blair what the hell to do in his backyard? I now see the light. Bush is just out for himself and corporate America and anyone else who just happens to have deep pockets. I guess the melting of the worlds largest mountain peaks and at the poles will have to start seeping into his ranch in Crawford before he puts on the waders.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
...I'm starting to think now for the first time Bush is against everything that does not benifit him or his cronies directly ... Bush is just out for himself and corporate America and anyone else who just happens to have deep pockets. I guess the melting of the worlds largest mountain peaks and at the poles will have to start seeping into his ranch in Crawford before he puts on the waders.

I couldn't have said it better

The sooner more people of America wake up to what kind of President they just voted in again, the better for the world.

You have voted FLYIN HIGH for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
If no one buys their ill gotten wood then there is no point in logging. It worked with Ivory, it will work with poached timber.

I doubt it. From the original article:

In an echo of the debate over climate change the US is sceptical about the effect of G8 timber policies because China is a huge importer of stolen timber. Campaigners say China is unlikely to change unless rich nations have put their house in order.

If you think this will stop the Chinese, you have more faith than I do.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
Bush is asking for a turf battle not only on this issue, but also on the Kyoto Treaty which he just turns his snobbery nose up at. Where does he get off by telling Blair what the hell to do in his backyard? I now see the light. Bush is just out for himself and corporate America and anyone else who just happens to have deep pockets. I guess the melting of the worlds largest mountain peaks and at the poles will have to start seeping into his ranch in Crawford before he puts on the waders.

The Kyoto treaty is made in a way that would benefit two countries only...China and India... China is one of the world's biggest polluters yet the treaty guarantees that China doesn't have to stop polluting. China can even increase their pollution/production according to the treaty, but countries like the US would suffer because of this treaty greatly.... This treaty seems to have been made to favor China and india alone... It would have certainly helped China become the next and maybe only superpower....

Now, as for what president Bush did or did not do in this issue...first of all the US is part of the G8 countries last time i checked, so this would affect the US too....and the policy of the US in this issue seems to have been, according to the article, that the US wanted to change the minds of other G8 countries...this is a normal procedure done by every country when the issue affects them.

BTW...how exactly would these countries stop illegal logging except by puting soldiers in Indonesia?.....so now the same people that didn't want the US to police the world wants the US to...police the world, or help?.....

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
so who wrote this "memo"? Is it legit, or anohter Rathergate, at best?

Everytime some knucklehead claims to have enouchtered a "leaked memo", it's accepted as God's Truth. Especially if it can be spun to an anti-American bias. Another shot fired form the Media warfare division.

I have a leaked memo here that says Senator Feinstein engaged in indecent acts with lesbian interstellar aliens. You might as well accept that as truth, too.

new topics

top topics

join