It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For first time, House will vote on bill that would legalize marijuana on federal level

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Some good news out of America, as long as they don't take Canada's route of squashing small business and favouring corporations...

www.thedenverchannel.com...

For the first time, a bill to legalize marijuana at the federal level will soon go to the floor of the U.S. House for a vote.

“The MORE Act would actually erase past convictions for marijuana offenses, opening the door to opportunities to jobs, housing, education, things that could help people, but it would also make it so people will no longer be denied federal benefits because of marijuana activity,” said Maritza Perez, Director of the Drug Policy Alliance.

Studies show more people support the legalization of marijuana. A 2019 Gallup poll showed majority-support across major political parties for legalizing marijuana. It showed 51% of Republicans, 68% of independents, and 76% of Democrats are in favor of it.

A vote on the MORE Act is expected to happen next week. If it passes the Democratic-controlled House, it faces a challenge in the Republican-controlled Senate.

I'm going to start out by saying, however you feel about 'the reefer', legalizing if done right, would open a huge, easy to enter market for entrepreneurs. There's no reason it can't be regulated much the same way as both alcohol and cigarettes while still allowing a thriving market.

Just don't let the same thing happen down there that they did up here when they 'legalized it' and crush the existing market in favour of a licensing scheme that favours neither customers or small to mid-size businesses.

Just tax it appropriately and let innovation and the market decide.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 01:23 AM
link   
What did they do in Canada I have no idea what they did.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

There was a fairly thriving grey market industry bringing in millions of dollars. Rather than licence those busineses, they set a steep licencing system that excluded most of them. Things like legalizing home growing, but providing no legal way to source seeds or plants. Extreme monetary and jail sentences for arbitrary possession amounts. Carrying your 4 legal seeds is technically over the 30 gram legal limit. Other extreme penalties such as 3 years in jail or fines of a few tens of thousands of dollars for 'inappropriately advertising cannabis'. Under which such vague things as wearing a tee shirt with a cannabis leaf in a place where a child might see falls under.

The Canadian government managed to lose money the first year of legalization despite it being a multi million dollar sorta legal mostly illegal industry. They cost people jobs, ruined businesses that had thousands of customers and just generally #ed up in every way possible.
edit on 15/9/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I'm all for legalization, but yes seriously they have to chill with too many regulations and restrictions or there will still be a
huge black market. Certainly, there needs to be where you can have your own plants as long as it's not a farm and you aren't selling. I mean people can home brew beer but why would you when there is so many primo brands cheaply available.

Let the tobacco companies fight it out, heard they copyrighted all the gold names years ago. I'm an insomniac and I have no doubt if it was easy and legally available I could sleep better LOL I always did before LOL. But it has its other medical benefits legalization and watch the opioid epidemic be drastically reduced. Got to be done right. Hopefully, it's making it legal and leaving the rest up to the states even though my state would likely be not as lenient at first
edit on 15-9-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Gotta pay for the CARE act somehow.

Get it? CARE MORE

(or is it MORE CARE?)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88
How many members of the house tried or used marijuana?

Are they voting on something they don't know?

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 02:40 AM
link   
The state tax on Marijuana in Illinois averages 33%

List of Taxes per state: www.illinoispolicy.org...

If Feds approve Marijuana, they'll want another 10%-20%.

No wonder people just keep buying it like they have been...from private dealers.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:40 AM
link   
"would open a huge, easy to enter market for entrepreneurs."
You're dreaming. Here in Michigan you need big money to get into the industry

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

No wonder people just keep buying it like they have been...from private dealers.

I'd still rather pay another $5+ per gram federally on top of state taxation for it legally than resort to sketchy dealers in the proverbial shadows.

Most people would, in fact. I know many folks who partake, be it established old hippies to cautious younger newcomers to it, not one of 'em is willing to backtrack laws to the days of illicit buying. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times -- everyone who's said "I'll pay a 100% tax on it to make it legal" wasn't being hyperbolic. "Early" years of legalized bud is going to be costly before taxes smooth out, and to prove it's about freedom to legally buy it, and not Cheapie McCheapo preferences, we really do have to swallow that pill to prove it.

I'm willing to prove it. Crack open the wallets a bit more, of grow it yourself, but I don't support going back to illicit buying & selling.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc

Same here in Maine.
You practically need to build a fort to grow the stuff legally for resale.
We priced it out, the loan would be over six figures in materials for enough grow space to keep one person employed full time... And only during the short growing seasons here.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

originally posted by: acackohfcc

Same here in Maine.
You practically need to build a fort to grow the stuff legally for resale.
We priced it out, the loan would be over six figures in materials for enough grow space to keep one person employed full time... And only during the short growing seasons here.

Short grow season? You've obviously never DIY. Most of it's grown greenhouse style under controlled lighting, be it in dirt, or hydroponically. A lot of MI produce is grown in greenhouses, so it's not much of a stretch to grow cannabis 24/7/365 up here.

And while I understand the "fortress" style requirements are being a hindrance, I do see it as necessary for the foreseeable future until illicit sources are stamped out. It's direct competition, and that can lead to targeting at worst, burglary at best. Excessive security right now is a need, not a want.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: carewemust

I'd still rather pay another $5+ per gram federally on top of state taxation for it legally than resort to sketchy dealers in the proverbial shadows.

Most people would, in fact. I know many folks who partake, be it established old hippies to cautious younger newcomers to it, not one of 'em is willing to backtrack laws to the days of illicit buying. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times -- everyone who's said "I'll pay a 100% tax on it to make it legal" wasn't being hyperbolic. "Early" years of legalized bud is going to be costly before taxes smooth out, and to prove it's about freedom to legally buy it, and not Cheapie McCheapo preferences, we really do have to swallow that pill to prove it.

I'm willing to prove it. Crack open the wallets a bit more, of grow it yourself, but I don't support going back to illicit buying & selling.

This.

You can go to a dealer and get whatever he’s got, without knowing the strain or the amount of THC in it and pray he’s legit with his weights. Or you can go to a dispensary and get exactly what you want, an indica, sativa or a hybrid, while knowing exactly how much THC is in it and know you’ll be getting what you paid for in weight.

It’s a no brainer for me and I’d gladly pay $10 more for the luxury of knowing exactly what I’m getting.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
How many members of the house tried or used marijuana?

Are they voting on something they don't know?

I heard Pelosi’s dad played a big hand in it’s prohibition after he caught her at a jazz club smoking reefer cigarettes and hanging around them colored folk.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   

it will be just like everything else that has big bucks tied into it. like alcohol, tobacco, pharmaceuticals you name it.
big corporations, lobbyist, and congressmen will rake in the majority of the profits, and then the Federal Government, State Government will get it's cut.

to quote Bruce Hornsby

"some things will never change, that's just the way it is"

edit on 15-9-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Definitely think it's PAST time to move beyond prohibition, but excuse me if I have low expectations about any legislation being done correctly in this current climate. Nevertheless, they should give it a shot. The support to decriminalize is there, and it's broad based across all political leanings. The longer I live, and the longer I hang around here, my cynicism about the ability of our body politic to get major initiatives like this "right" continues to grow.

OP laid it out pretty well at the end of his opening post: FEDGOV should move to decriminalize and then GTF out of the way. Let the lower level state and municipalities Hash things out.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
Hash things out.

you are punny.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   

This is a great idea imo.

I don’t smoke, but I have met so many people through the years who swear it helps with anxiety, pain.

It will help bring in much needed money through taxes, put a huge dent in the illegal/questionable sales of it (who knows what is in the street stuff).

I personally know a girl who works at a dispensary; she loves her job and says the pay is great. She tells me most of her customers are middle aged to
Older folks.

Our economy needs a silver bullet, and this is it.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt
And only during the short growing seasons here.

there are hundreds of growlight manufacturers and a good portion cater to the legal MJ market. You can literally grow hemp/MJ year round in any place you like. There are also plenty of companies building enclosures of various types including fully contained units in shipping containers. It shouldn't cost you hundreds of thousands.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

While I wish this would happen, I have my doubts. It has to pass the Senate and Mitch McConnell is shoving every bill proposed by Democrats into a drawer and refusing to vote on it.

Fingers crossed.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Marijuana, otherwise known as "The Devil's Kale" is a dangerous drug.

Haven't you all seen "Reefer Madness"?

Massive legalization could lead to pre-marital sex, "slacking off", even dancing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join