It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West coast forest fires are woke - no joke

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Charliebrowndog

Since 2008, California has been losing quite a few people. While I don't follow their finances, I am aware that they are having some liquidity issues and suspect tax revenues are down quite a bit. Add to that COVID.

So i'd suspect that land management hasn't been strong.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
What people forget is the Relative Humidity (RH). Anything above 25% is considered low fire potential. Humidity comes up in the evening then goes down during the day. Oklahoma is usually not as dry is out west, that’s why you see less fires. There are fires though when you get hot dry weather like west Texas.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

West Texas isn't having brush fire issues. For whatever that is worth.

Although they have plenty of dry, hot, windy days.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Cali gets federal funding for land management, they just funnel that Money someplace else.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is dated, but I doubt management practices have changed much.

The plains don't have widespread grass fires because everything about modern practice is set up to prevent them. That doesn't mean they can't happen, but land management practices in farming, ranching, and fire department management strategies are all geared toward keeping any grass fire from taking hold and becoming a major threat.

This is the sort of thing that doesn't seem to be a major consideration in the PNW.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Doubt science cause the world scientists are in on Climate Change or realize we are in danger...

There are fires in Canada and Mexico, and Africa and South America...just look at all of them and then come back here and recount your total and utter nonsense and spreading lies!
firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov...:adv;d:2020-09-11;l:viirs,modis_a,modis_t,street;@-108.7,38.1,4z

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I live in the middle of some really old growth Live Oak (my home is in what is called a "forest",a nd this region is known as a "subtropical rain forest"....we get 6 months of dry, 6 months of monsoon more or less). There are fire breaks cut every so often. Some times its for power lines and telephone poles, sometimes its just bare land between 2 strands of forest.

As I understand it, much of the world beyond the Rockies prefers less land management, be it a choice or a necessity of budgets.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's just another tool in the tool box for these terrorists

Pyro-Terrorism

. Instead of using expensive, complex, and readily detectable nuclear or radiological bombs, a future terrorist could easily ignite multiple massive wildfires that would severely damage our regional economies, impact our military forces, and terrorize the American population.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

Does not help your case much.

Compare Canada to the PNW. The number of fires directly across the border drops sharply. No one is saying there are no fires, but the number is vastly reduced. If you want to claim that climate change is causing fires, then that number ought to be consistent. It's not like the forests sharply stop at the border.

But what would stop at the border would be management practices.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Out in the plains of Kansas, there is a network of what are called mile roads - grid of dirt roads laid out every mile. They serve as fire breaks among other things. They also allow rapid response to any fires that may form.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Does not help your case much.

Compare Canada to the PNW. The number of fires directly across the border drops sharply. No one is saying there are no fires, but the number is vastly reduced. If you want to claim that climate change is causing fires, then that number ought to be consistent. It's not like the forests sharply stop at the border.

But what would stop at the border would be management practices.

Give me a break...from the OP

Basically, why do all the fires only happen in America, it’s like climate change isn’t allow in other countries due to covid restrictions. Shouldn’t we be seeing fires start in both Canada and. Mexico? How about other areas around the world between the latitude as America?

Seriously! I am not debating many were man made but there are many MANY fires in Canada and Mexico and good lord look at South America...

Anyway bury your head, humans are literally having an effect on the climate now it is obviously intentional. But I guess since the earth is flat we will be saved by a skyguy soon!

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

South America = slash and burn agriculture

It's a way of life that's devastating to the ecosystem. People move in and burn out a few field plots and burn out the forest that makes the land incredibly fertile for a while, but after a few years, it's played out and a wasteland. They have to move in and repeat the process to continue making a living.

And that again is man-made, not climate change mystically setting the trees alight through the vagueries of chemistry and heat.

If you want to look at negative impact on ecosystems, it's practices like slash and burn agriculture and large scale environmental rape being carried out by China and India where you can maybe make a difference. Putting the US into rolling blackouts or even back into caves will have zero impact on any of that, and it's impact on the environment is magnitudes worse than your local power plant.
edit on 16-9-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Theres also been quite a lot of arson in Australia... a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join