It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Constitution of the United States. Can section 4 article 4 be simplified?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The Constitution of the United States. Can it be simplified?

As a whole. The United States of America is a Constitutional Republic. A Union of States. Each State having their own Constitution. Guaranteed by The US Constitution in Article 4 section 4 of our Constitution. "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Pretend you just saw this for the first time. The first thought that comes to mind. Write a response.
edit on 13-9-2020 by CopeLongCut because: Edited the title and first paragraph. if to it

edit on 14-9-2020 by CopeLongCut because: edit title to "section 4 article 4

Starting a New Thread ?

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads
edit on Wed Sep 23 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CopeLongCut

Too many dependent clauses. Like this one. And that one.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   
How would you rephrase it? Honestly asking. Thank you.a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I see a democratic form of gov. nowhere mentioned and therefore
should be deemed an invading intrusive different form of govt. One
that would serve as vehicle to overthrow the republic a little further
every time it took office. At least until it was close to being exposed.
At which point it would look to seize total power by any means at it's
disposal. Like right now.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   
To "dumb" it down, even more?

I would like to think and believe, the average "educated" American, can understand (comprehend) simple writing of a, "law".

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   
yep, I bet the writers chose their words deliberately...note the OP starts with.... as a whole.....

originally posted by: murphy22
To "dumb" it down, even more?

I would like to think and believe, the average "educated" American, can understand (comprehend) simple writing of a, "law".

edit on 14-9-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: CopeLongCut
The Constitution of the United States. Can if be simplified?

As a whole. The United States of America is a Constitutional Republic. A Union of States. Each State having their own Constitution. Guaranteed by The US Constitution in Article 4 section 4 of our Constitution. "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Pretend you just saw this for the first time. The first thought that comes to mind. Write a response.

Firstly, the US Constitution really includes the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights. A full Constitutional document should have the intent and beautiful prose in them retained and supported.

The draft new Constitution should include statements of guiding ethics as well as law. Perhaps under separate headings, but by no means a disposable part of the document. It should be an integrated whole.

Perhaps, then, include all the individual states constitutional clauses in the one rough draft document, and then sort them by similarity. The goal of this is to produce a single constitution agreeable for all American states. Where possible, similar clauses could be combined in such a way as to retain the operable intent from all contributory clauses.

Then if there are any clauses that cannot be equitably resolved, then those become separate state-by-state amendments, under the governance of the particular state involved. There needs to be a clause that defines where these state documents reside, who and how they are handled, and also the rights of states individually.

Then other great documents of rights of citizens and law, like the UN Declaration of Human Rights and sections of British Common Law, not already in the draft Constitution could be integrated.

Then the next phase would be to render each clause of the new document so that there can be no interpretation contrary to the intent of each the clause.

Then a review to ensure that the clauses are not contradictory and all parts of the document cohere.

Then a review to ensure that there are no clauses contrary to existing case law and, where a conflict arises, there needs to be a process of adjudication by the supreme court, or by referendum as applicable (or both).

Lastly, there are contentious clauses even in the current Constitution. These are to be handled with great care so as to not break the Constitution, but to keep its intent pristine. It is these contentious clauses that will take the greatest effort and time to resolve.

Then there needs to be a cutover process that enacts the new Constitution.

Perhaps if people took the process seriously enough, there would be great participation and far less riot and protest if there was a clear path to a better future.

edit on 14/9/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   
A was curious about responses on section 4 article 4. Thank you for your response though.. reply to: chr0naut

edit on 14-9-2020 by CopeLongCut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

A "Democratic" government, is the big lie!

The only thing "Democratic" about our government is how we "elect" our "representatives". And then? They're supposed to "uphold and defend" the "law". Which is the C.O.T.U.S.. By oath!

"Democracy" is not, never was, the intentions of our founders.

To insure "each state" a "Republican form of government".

I'll dumb it down. "To insure each state a set of STANDARDS of law".

The problem with "Dems" and "progressives"? They think standards can change, based on how lazy they physically and emotionally 'feel".

They're intellectual cowards.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

What you are describing is what has supposed to been all along.

Which I would believe is what Franklin meant, and was credited with saying, .. "A Republic. If you can keep it."

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

The only thing "Democratic" about our government is how we "elect" our "representatives". And then? They're supposed to "uphold and defend" the "law". Which is the C.O.T.U.S.. By oath!

Unfortunately damn near all of DC now ignores this truth.
Which adds up to what we have right now. The last gasps
of a people trying to hold on to what they have left thru
the current POTUS. If he fails the hammer falls.

edit on 14-9-2020 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I don't vote for a "leader". I don't personally need to be lead. I vote for who can best represent me.
At this point in history? Pres. Trump is my guy.

If nothing ever happens in Washington D.C.? I figure that's a good day.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22

I don't vote for a "leader". I don't personally need to be lead. I vote for who can best represent me.

I agree.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CopeLongCut
A was curious about responses on section 4 article 4. Thank you for your response though.. reply to: chr0naut

I think that government should not be about legal control, but about individual rights and freedoms. It is where a Constitution comes in, as a baseline to protect those rights and freedoms.

Clearly you cannot allow the anarchy of 'every man for themselves' and 'everyone does what they want', but you need to have something that is not repressive, either. This is where a Constitutional document shines.

In 4, 4. The presumption that a Republican form of government is optimal is not historically the case. The Nazi government fell out of the Weimar Republic. Ancient Rome was a republic and there are a number of 'republics' around the world that are sub par and treat their peoples inhumanely and/or have goverened poorly.

Clearly 4, 4, says that it is to protect them against domestic violence by the Executive but there have been actions of the Executive branch and even the President that have resulted in direct violence against citizens (such as the Bonus War, Waco raid and similar).

It is clear that 4, 4 is written very poorly for a piece of 'legalese' and is very fuzzy in meaning. It has run-on sentences with comma's and semicolons all over the place. You have to read and re-read it to try and understand what it is on about.

But I am a foreigner, so you may, if you wish, ignore anything I say.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I do not make it a habit to ignore opinions. I may not agree but do take your words into consideration. a reply to: chr0naut

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

You are correct.

Art. 4. was written for and during a time, of well established STANDARDS. Which is what "laws" are.

There's nothing "fuzzy" about it. ..Only, maybe to a "lawyer" that doesn't go to prison for "practicing law" and failing. Or to a "politician" that swares an oath to uphold it? Then at first chance, tries to change/repeal it?

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   
In it's purest form "Republic" just means a form of government that is a public matter.

Republic, from collinsdictionary.com

A republic is a country where power is held by the people or the representatives that they elect. Republics have presidents who are elected, rather than kings or queens.

Republic and Democratic are not mutually exclusive and many state constitutions allow processes that permit direct democracy through initiatives and referendums. 27 states and DC according to Wiki

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Curious what Blacks Law Dictionary says brb.a reply to: daskakik

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

No man needs a personal leader.
Countries need a good leader.
POTUS has barely had a chance to lead.
But he is a good leader. The democrats need
to be cut away before they send us to ruin.
Like a cancerous spewing melanoma.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
REPUBLIC republic,n. A system of government in which the people hold sovereign power and elect representatives who exercise that power. • It contrasts on the one hand with a pure democracy, in which the people or community as an organized whole wield the sovereign power of government, and on the other with the rule of one person (such as a king or dictator) or of an elite group (such as an oligarchy, aristocracy, or junta).

Sourced from Blacks Law Dictionary
edit on 14-9-2020 by CopeLongCut because: Added the source.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join