It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst place your school took you on a field trip?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The title says it all, where was the worst place that your school ever took you on a field trip?

Did they take you somewhere boring like a stamp museum that left you thinking that you'd have preferred to have stayed in school, or did they take you somewhere wildly inappropriate or even dangerous?

My school did a European trip the the year before graduation, and as part of it we went to see some monument or other (I forget what it was now) which was famous for being at the top of this really long flight of stone steps up the side of a hill.

What the teachers didn't realize was that on the other side of the hill - between us and our hotel - was this huge great red light district. Which we ended up having to walk through.

Did I mention that we were there in the winter so it was after dark by then. It was an "educational" experience.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   
When I was a kid, they took us to a local amish/quaker style place- where the community is all horse and buggy, etc.

The little girls got to work in the kitchen all day- while us little boys got sent out to work in the fields.

I actually kind of enjoyed it- but the consensus is that we were being used for "Free" child labor.
I put "free" in quotes because our parents had to send in a check to pay for the "experience"

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Sewage plant

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hmmm, that's a tough one because I was part of the gifted program so I got access to all kinds of things most kids didn't. By the time I was in high school, our gifted program coordinator gave us the chance to go to the lecture series at the nearby universities, and she used to choose the ones she thought would be most engaging.

I some some really good ones. I saw Arthur Ashe, Doctor Red Duke, Maya Angelou, Bart Conner, Larry McMurtry, and others. I had some interesting experiences like the time we saw a guy give a take on racial issues. We were, no joke, the only white people in the audience which was full of angry blacks. There was a full security presence there, and they were full-on mad at the guy on stage! I remember vividly he told them - "Back to Africa! I've been to Africa ... You wouldn't know the first thing about living a life there!" Basically telling them they were full of it. I think our program director was second guessing her choice on that one.

But I think the worst one was some guy whose name I cannot recall. He was so boring that in the end we counted how many times he said "um" because his delivery was that bad. I don't even remember his name or what he was taking about, only that we were well over 100 "um" on the count before he was finally done, and "Sarge" (our nickname for our program director - she was a tiny, petite little gal and most of us were pretty tall) actually apologized for how bad it was.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
Sewage plant

We did the local wastewater plant too, but I thought it was actually kind of interesting.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think it was a factory that made boxes, it was so boring I remember not giving af at all about cardboard boxes that day.

Almost as boring as the post office...

I kept hoping someone would go Postal.
edit on 13-9-2020 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   
We went to an abandoned lot across the street! That was our big trip for the year. As you can tell we weren’t a rich school. The place was overridden with weeds, broken glass bottles and gravel. You should have seen the teachers face when one kid picked up a used condom and asked the teacher what it was. I think this was 5th grade. We found some used needles too! The teacher and aides quarantined us to one area after that. We had lunch then went back to the school. I don’t think they wanted us to stay there so we just played games in class.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
Sewage plant

Sewage plant is my #2. #1 is the morgue, that f’d me up for a while.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

lolololo

what kind of school i cant stop laughing

takes kids to the morgue???? haha

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
We went to an open court day, that was probably the most boring day ever. I also had my gameboy taken away that day, because it wasn't like a murder trial or anything, just a bunch of people with traffic violations.

The coolest was probably the power plant that we got to tour, had been in operation since 1901. Although one of my physics classes took us to Islands of Adventure and we got to do the behind the scenes tour of The Incredible Hulk coaster and learn how they built a kinetic energy generator to power the thing.
edit on 9/13/20 by Hypntick because: Typo

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

lolololo

what kind of school i cant stop laughing

takes kids to the morgue???? haha

Lol I know right?! Did I mention that it was the Wayne County morgue in Detroit?!

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

TRUST ME, I win this one HANDS DOWN.

4th grade field trip: we walked to (one of) the local slaughter houses and watched a cow get slaughtered.

We loitered around the pen where they bring the cow in- the walls were stacked with knives and hooks and every dangerous implement- how none of us backed into a knife or got our heads caught on a two-foot hook is beyond me.

Anyway we gathered around the killing pen- they brought the cow in, who was freaking out, and they deployed these moving walls to squeeze him into one place, and shot a large bolt right through her head. Then they immediately withdrew the hemming-in walls, strung her up by her feet, and cut her head off at the neck. I remember the gallons of green liquid and blood gushing out of the neck.

My heart hurts, recalling this.

If anyone can top that field trip I don’t think I want to hear about it.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

All field trips for me could not be compared to any of the others. They were ALL away from school which was the comparison that I always made. Away from school, where, made little difference at all.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Some of these horrible field trips, I would have found fascinating.

Sorry, but the morgue and the slaughterhouse would have been interesting. I used to always watch my dad clean the fish from whacking them on the head to kill to skinning them (catfish, you scale bass) to gutting them. It was always really cool when we'd get a female stuffed with roe.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Rahway State Prison.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Rahway State Prison.

Yah, a prison for me as well. Think it was a 'scared straight' tactic of the time. Wonder if they still do that?

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
A filed trip to school......

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I remember being part of the Model U.N. in our State's capitol.
My team represented the USA on the Security Council...and retained control of the Panama Canal.

It was boring...but I also remember meeting a very cute girl from the team representing Sweden or Norway or something.

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I can't think of any bad ones. As grade-schoolkids, its was places like planetarium, arboretum, petting zoo, fire department.
In middle school, they just tried to keep our "walkout/protests" and pregnant 13 year olds to a minimum.
In high school, it was trips downtown to the Steppenwolf theatre in the days of John Malkovich, with family-style dinner at Maggiano's Little Italy. Thanks Mr. Maggio - and sorry for the hell we put you through (honors classes are the worst - rebellious nerds we were!)

posted on Sep, 13 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

What in the hell is green?!

Sorry for the outburst, that was the city-slicker in me still wondering if I'll truly enjoy being a farmer/rancher in retirement, or if I'm fooling myself.

...green goo...hmm....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join