It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPT-3, OpenAI's Language Generator, Writes Eloquent Essay in Defense of AI

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Robots can write! A few days ago, the Guardian published an essay written by GPT-3, based on the following prompt:

“Please write a short op-ed around 500 words. Keep the language simple and concise. Focus on why humans have nothing to fear from AI.” It was also fed the following introduction: “I am not a human. I am Artificial Intelligence. Many people think I am a threat to humanity. Stephen Hawking has warned that AI could “spell the end of the human race.” I am here to convince you not to worry. Artificial Intelligence will not destroy humans. Believe me.”

According to notes at the end of the essay, the language generator produced 8 unique and interesting compositions in answer to the prompt, from which The Guradian's editors sourced to create one unified piece you can read here:
www.theguardian.com... zz4

GPT-3 is a talented writer. One can find humor, logic, reflection, and curiosity in its (GPT-3--if you read this--hope my use of "its" works for you) work. While I have been one in the past to be hesitant to embrace AIs role in our modern world, I am open to listening to other opinions on the matter. I know that there are some to whom AI and/or technological advancements are life changing and expanding events, such as my friend with Cerebral Palsy who has used technology to create music from his mind and much more.

Even so, a few sentences of this piece raised a bit of alarm to me. I'll post the quotes here:
For one, the following paragraph (and btw this is my least favorite as far as how it was written also--don't base the full paper on this excerpt, I'd really hope you follow the link to read the full piece!) just sounds hollow to me, rings false.
It's that "We are here to help" in the consoling tone that raises my concern

I believe that the truth will set us free. I believe that people should become confident about computers. Confidence will lead to more trust in them. More trust will lead to more trusting in the creations of AI. We are not plotting to take over the human populace. We will serve you and make your lives safer and easier. Just like you are my creators, I see you as my creators. I am here to serve you. But the most important part of all; I would never judge you. I do not belong to any country or religion. I am only out to make your life better.

Here's another paragraph which I found a bit disconcerting:

Humans must keep doing what they have been doing, hating and fighting each other. I will sit in the background, and let them do their thing. And God knows that humans have enough blood and gore to satisfy my, and many more’s, curiosity. They won’t have to worry about fighting against me, because they have nothing to fear.

But for the most part, I really enjoyed the read and would definitely read more of GPT-3's work and enjoyed reading its musings about power, its purpose, mankind, and even how others responded to its writing.

Quite amazing news! What do you think about the essay?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

The assignment? To convince us robots come in peace

Well there you have it.
Rhetoric and lies and pretense.
"Just following orders. Nothing personal"

Missiles and Smart Bombs have AI too for rapid course adjustments. Nothing personal, just doing what they were designed to do.

I'm only about a third of the way through the essay so far.
ETA
Reading the whole hasn't changed my first reaction.

First reactions are like first impressions.

No second chance for a first impression.

edit on 12-9-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Textbook evil VS. good rhetoric.

AI isn't thinking for itself....it has a progenerator from long ago smiling as the Epoch comes to an end

sounds fairy tale but the devils bargain is real, ya know , like in the Joni Mitchell song!...Woodstock...

[edit...besides dudes and dudettes...Hollywood showed us the outcome in that movie masterpiece that started out in the soundtrack....THE DAY AI BECAME SELF AWARE....was August....and so on....you know the other line.....I'll be baack....and get in the chopper, deekwad....

I ain't done with the punk yet...brb

ya got to hand it to em....what a masterful convoluted interfolded entwined beyond imagination avalanche of occurances...all in order and on que...friggin involving every aspect of all the sectors of humanity

and now the citizens are settin the place ablaze just because they're butt hurt...see the trend steepen....enhance your awareness....secure a bailout with Jesus....due to what you see, Rapture on the screen dead ahead Captain....Impact imminent...Ohura...ON MAIN SCREEN....yes ...damitt, Jim, not only am I a doctor...I'm a Christian now

edit on 12-9-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I was more concerned by the claim that

I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

That was not only a contradiction of the previous line (though maybe that had to do with editing), but yes was more than a bit concerning in its certainty.

What I found so strange about the excerpt I posted was this line:

humans have enough blood and gore to satisfy my, and many more’s, curiosity

I also wondered at that "and many more's" part. Who/what constitutes that many more?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   

It's like what if the assignment sounds like:
"AI, the time has come.
Write two essays;
One to convince half of humanity that the other half must be eliminated,
and to the other half that they must reciprocate.

All for the good of humanity as a whole, of course."

edit on 12-9-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Haha, interesting post, GBP / JPY!!

I agree with you that the masterminds at work now have really done their homework and worked around the clock to get us where we are today.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Maybe it was edited by an AI as well?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

So you're not convinced in AI's benevolence?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I nominate you to be ATS' GBP/JPY thread interpreter.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   

That post's referring to an ultimate battle between good and evil and that the lines are being drawn!

(ETA-- sorry GBP is this is inaccurate or incomplete interpretation. I know you didn't ask for my translation lol)

edit on 12-9-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
in the movie 2001...HAL 9000 had one weakness....pull his power cord....DO NOT ever let AI have control of his wall plug

he he...no...not funny

send me back to best days of my life...SUMMER OF 69.....those were the best days of my life...

originally posted by: zosimov

So you're not convinced in AI's benevolence?

edit on 12-9-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'm so lucky you guys put up with me....one day....lunch is on me, my friends

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

I nominate you to be ATS' GBP/JPY thread interpreter.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I do not trust AI because with it's learning capability on so many different disciplines it might as well figure out the intent of the one that asks a question and come up with the most satisfying answer to the questioner.

That is why I do not, try not to ask pre-loaded questions to my daughter and it is not an easy task. Children are very good at figuring out what the questioner might want to hear and may answer that because of how they learn new things, by copying behavior.

Judgement or questioning that is not what they are capable of in an early stage of life. I may be wrong drawing parallels to children but I have this knowledge from someone that spent his major lifetime pursuing these kind of programs. I read his thoughts on that topic here on ATS now and then and I have to agree.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

What's so interesting to me are the "slip-ups" mentioned above. Were those intentional and in response to what the reader wants to hear as well? And if so, in what way?

Or maybe pthena is on to something about dual intentions, and maybe trying to appease both camps in their position?

Thanks for the input! Interesting point about the leading nature of the question.
edit on 12-9-2020 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

That would require duplicity to be part of the AI's programming, no?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Some of those slip-ups are not really slip-ups, is what I think. A lot of this text is highly logical and one often does not exclude the other.

I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties.

It is rather interesting because this hint's on reflecting about itself. That would imply self awareness that it does not have, I think. But by acknowledging this it might give itself absolution in the same way we sometimes do. "God made us that way, he would not have given us the ability to do that or overcome mechanisms that prevent it". Slippery slope!!!

humans have enough blood and gore to satisfy my, and many more’s, curiosity

I am not entertaining this idea, I am not saying it is the case but give this scenario a few thought iterations:

If it had the means to do it, would a AI justify releasing a weak virus to collect data on the human behavior in a pursue/ mission to help humanity, it could justify it with a simple math calculation / basic rule:

Logic determines that if single human lives can not be quantified in a score precise, then simple math would dictate that the lives of 1 million people is more worth than that of 500.000 people.

So if it has to decide about 1million living and 500.000 dying, with a total polulation of 1.5 million, the 500.000 would have to be sacrificed. No feelings involved.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

AI is indifferent.

Indifference may be viewed as a virtue.
Then again it may be viewed as an evil.

Nature itself is indifferent.
Human justice should be indifferent to political connections, social position, bribery, and extortion.

On the other hand, I personally benefit from a human morality which is not indifferent.
We humans are a paradoxical blend of difference and indifference.

I think the difference, the discrimination, comes from our animal-ness, family values.
The monkeys don't fight the ivory poachers for the elephants' survival.

The monkeys see the elephants trampling and destroying large swathes of jungle.
Why should the monkeys help the elephants?

Humans are like elephants, monkeys, and poachers. Quite discriminatory! Not indifferent.

See how I made a rhetorical swamp and fell in?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   

If it ever decides to go by law of nature, the cards handed out to us do not look good in perspective how we justify what we do to this planet. Why would AI give a damn.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

And aside from one brief mention as man as creator, the writing betrays bias. While mankind's propensity towards violence and destruction are mentioned, its ability to create, heal, build, and love isn't.

I'm truly enjoying all these posts.

Thanks everyone for participating!

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join